• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut Jolokia from americanspice.com

Ground Bhut Jolokia

UnNatural said:
That's what i'm planning on doing. Well cooking with them that is, i have no interest in being able to eat whole pods for fun. Ground a few into powder and used that in my marinade for wings last night... that was pretty dam good!

We Will have Bhut Ground Powder in a week or two at www.americanspice.com

how much in heat is the difference between a dried one and a fresh one? I can only find dried ones around here at the moment... although I have already tried a fresh one, I was thinking of getting some more.
I must say that was about the same as I felt, my stomach was not well for a couple of days afterwards... fun fun fun!

Hotpeppa said:
Mate, its not as bad as it sounds, i eat them all the time.. with everything...

Bhuts are very hot but very good... a good harvest of bhuts will last you all year long... you can dry them, roast them, cut them in half fresh than rub them on anything for a quick kick of heat, you can pickle them, Bhuts are great in pasta (my favourite) and soups of all kinds...

just a great pepper that goes a very long way...

Hotpeppa gave me some bhut flakes when we swapped seeds a while back. I microwaved some water to put oatmeal in and put 6 very small flakes in the water. Wow!! I'm glad I didn't add 8. That pepper is sick. I'll probably be able to make enough powder from this years harvest to last me quite a few years.

Dry is supposedly hotter, but it's a much more tuned down burn. fresh will kick ya ass. I guess it's all those juices doing their thing.

I hope I'm not crossing the line here, but where do you get your Bhuts?

Omri said:
Dry is supposedly hotter, but it's a much more tuned down burn. fresh will kick ya ass. I guess it's all those juices doing their thing.

I hope I'm not crossing the line here, but where do you get your Bhuts?

was that question for me? pepper-king.com used to have them, but they stopped selling fresh ones... guess they went bad too fast or something?

I wouldn't think dry ones would be hotter... well, I still think a fresh one was way too hot for me. :P

munchzilla said:
was that question for me? pepper-king.com used to have them, but they stopped selling fresh ones... guess they went bad too fast or something?

I wouldn't think dry ones would be hotter... well, I still think a fresh one was way too hot for me. :P
Oh sorry, the question was for SpiceGuy. just that I know someone who works at a spice company here, and they don't exactly grow their own.

munchzilla said:
how much in heat is the difference between a dried one and a fresh one? I can only find dried ones around here at the moment...

Do you get them in LuleƄ? Where? I'm going there in a few weeks and it would be a shame to spend all my money at McDonalds.

BTW I haven't tried the AmericanSpice.com Bhuts, but I was seriously disappointed with a lot of the dry pods I ordered. I originally ordered to compare pods with mine, and mine (including Naga Morich) were all bigger and A LOT hotter. was REALLY disappointed with Nagaseeds.org. they had no heat.

QuadShotz said:
I've only had the ones from THSC, but it's nice to see more online suppliers at any rate. Welcome to THP!
Don't you have some pods of your own? I dunno, I hear you talk about Nagas, Bhuts and whatever all the time... thought you might have tried a fresh one by now.

Omri said:
Don't you have some pods of your own? I dunno, I hear you talk about Nagas, Bhuts and whatever all the time... thought you might have tried a fresh one by now.

Well, kinda sorta.

I've had some fresh pods sent of bhut/scorp/etc, and the pickled Bhuts of course..but I never ended up having any pods from my plants last year. :(

QuadShotz said:
Well, kinda sorta.

I've had some fresh pods sent of bhut/scorp/etc, and the pickled Bhuts of course..but I never ended up having any pods from my plants last year. :(
That's ok, you will. :)

Omri said:
BTW I haven't tried the AmericanSpice.com Bhuts, but I was seriously disappointed with a lot of the dry pods I ordered. I originally ordered to compare pods with mine, and mine (including Naga Morich) were all bigger and A LOT hotter. was REALLY disappointed with Nagaseeds.org. they had no heat.

These are the only bhuts i've ever had so i don't really have anything to compare to. They were hot as hell though, definitely the most intense heat i've ever experience.

The wings i made had a bunch of other seasoning so i don't know what the flavor was like. I'll try some on plain rice or rehydrate some with vinegar and lime and make a simple bhut/onion sauce and follow up here with a flavor description.

How would all you've who've had them describe the flavors? Both dried and fresh.

MrArboc said:
Do you get them in LuleƄ? Where? I'm going there in a few weeks and it would be a shame to spend all my money at McDonalds.

no sorry, and mcdonalds is kinda off... pepper-king.com sells dried bhuts/bihs, which is the only place I know of :(

UnNatural said:
These are the only bhuts i've ever had so i don't really have anything to compare to. They were hot as hell though, definitely the most intense heat i've ever experience.

The wings i made had a bunch of other seasoning so i don't know what the flavor was like. I'll try some on plain rice or rehydrate some with vinegar and lime and make a simple bhut/onion sauce and follow up here with a flavor description.

How would all you've who've had them describe the flavors? Both dried and fresh.
I dry most of mine, cause they taste the same when cooking, but in salads and stuff the fresh ones are soooo much better.

Back