• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper" - ID please

Thanks for your reply Richard. It was very imformative, looks like you know what your talking about.
Do you much about the Inheritance of certain traits in the peppers i.e. size, shape, color etc???
or do you know where I could find something more about this?

I was digging around the internet a while back collecting information on pepper genetics and found a bunch if information on google books. I compiled what I found into a table which can be found here --> http://dumped-archives.ath.cx/habs/pepper_genetics.html

It's interesting to note that some of the information that I found seems to be contradicted in my own crosses, for example short flower stem was dominant in crosses with long flower stems while the information collected online seems to suggest that the opposite is true. That's genetics I guess :\

Charles, would the New Mexico State University be a sure bet to get true Bhut Jolokia seeds. I understand it's a gamble buying them on Ebay.

I was digging around the internet a while back collecting information on pepper genetics and found a bunch if information on google books. I compiled what I found into a table which can be found here --> http://dumped-archives.ath.cx/habs/pepper_genetics.html

It's interesting to note that some of the information that I found seems to be contradicted in my own crosses, for example short flower stem was dominant in crosses with long flower stems while the information collected online seems to suggest that the opposite is true. That's genetics I guess :\

This is not the thread you are looking for ;-)

I was hoping for a better response from Seedrack. Oh well, at least they're refunding some people. Leaving the seeds on the webpage is really, really wrong though if you know they're wrong. They should buy from NMSU and get pure seed and resell or something. I also see my comments about the Scotch Bonnet fell on deaf ears for ummmmm two years now. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I believe this company's real seed sales come from exotic fruit seeds and other rarities. Peppers are probably a play thing for them.

...well, if you are right there in St.Louis I could have dropped some off to you this past week (if i would have known) when we went through there. :)
We're doing work on the locks and dams along the Mississippi and currently in N. Iowa (started in Hannibal), so even if they are not completely dried, they can be there within 2 days by mail.

I'm harvesting about a pound a day from my jolokias right now, and saving the seeds from all the better looking ones for if/when we get a work project closer to home again... and i can resurrect my garden.

My original seed source was an orphanage in India back in mid-'06, and still have my first 8 plants producing the peppers i'm picking now.

I've got both yellows and the usual reds, so would be more than happy to drop some seeds in the mail to you if interested, send me your address by way of PM and i'll get them right over to you.

Hey Coach,
I'm in the same pickle. I bought "Bhut Jolokia" seeds from Whatcom. Now that they've started to fruit, they're definitely not what I paid for. Any chance I could get some of your seeds?
Andrew

Hey Coach,
I'm in the same pickle. I bought "Bhut Jolokia" seeds from Whatcom. Now that they've started to fruit, they're definitely not what I paid for. Any chance I could get some of your seeds?
Andrew

If coach doesn't have them check out either www.thehippyseedcompany.com or something. They carry pure seed stock and have anything you need.

...well, if you are right there in St.Louis I could have dropped some off to you this past week (if i would have known) when we went through there.

Coach came through Big Time! :dance: He stopped by while passing through today and set me up with some seeds, fresh pods, salsa and a choc hab seedling. Later this week I'll post a review on the salsa.

I'll be sure to pass along the karma next year. Thank Coach! :)

mo-mtnbkr

Our supplier has provided the following information in regards to the variability of the Bhut Jolokia. I thought you all might be interested and we are adding this as a disclaimer to our website so people have a better idea what they may be getting:

-----
Pepper Bhut Jolokia
This pepper comes from a wild plant found in various parts of India. It is basically Capsicum chinense, but may hybridize with other species in the wild, such as C. frutescens or others.
It has a reputation for being one of the hottest peppers, and there is some evidence that its heat may be partly a function of the environment in which it was cultivated (with hot humid environments resulting in more heat than hot dry environments).
Its basic appearance is very similar to a red habanero pepper. Because it is found in the wild and is subject to cross-pollination, its appearance can be variable. The variability can extend to the color, skin smoothness/wrinkliness/hairiness, and pod shape.
The germination capability varies widely, but we have selected for the best possible germination, which typically runs from 75 to 85%.
It has various other names, such as Naga Jolokia, ghost chili, cobra chili.
-----

So what you're saying here is you got burned by your supplier and this is their explanation which you're going accept, publicly anyway, and then pass it on to the consumer and continue to sell seeds you know aren't what they're advertised as.

Basic appearance is very similar to a red habanero. Yeah, when they're both freaking seeds. Ever hear of the word integrity?

problem today is that most folks just resell seeds and not grow their own. they can't really appreciate it the way growers do.

Hey Coach,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

...not a problem, I've got to process and remove the seeds from about 4 lbs i've got sitting on my desk, so should have plenty.

Have people been emailing or snail mailing whatcom/seedrack to get this fixed? My red habs are not bhuts as they were labeled and I feel they owe me, even if it is just the difference in price.

Congrats Coach on 4 lbs. That's alot of bhuts. Hope you have a steel toilet. lol

Have people been emailing or snail mailing whatcom/seedrack to get this fixed? My red habs are not bhuts as they were labeled and I feel they owe me, even if it is just the difference in price.

I requested a refund and got it for my so-called Bhut seeds. Does not help with the time, expense, effort and the let down when I found out they were habs.

Doesn't sound like they are going to do anything about it except post a disclaimer on their website. Too bad as I'm sure more people will get burned.

All those people eating habs thinking they are the hottest will be surprised when some pepperhead hands them a true bhut.

disclaimers don't really mean squat. it'll keep people from buying from them. and make their reputations less than desirable.

they should just either get a better supplier or just grow their own.

Congrats Coach on 4 lbs. That's alot of bhuts. Hope you have a steel toilet. lol

...I've got a request in for roughly 10 gallons of salsa using Bhuts for a Biker Rally (or something like that) this coming weekend, so will use most of those for them.
...they are well aware of what they are about to get into, and have been forewarned. They had picked up some of my hab salsa (and thought it was mild... sheeesh!) but really liked the flavor, so want to go to the next level of pain.

*POOF!* Wish granted!

I kinda get the impression they want to see who's going to cry like a lil' girl first when eating it.

"Its basic appearance is very similar to a red habanero pepper."

If a bhut looks like a red habanero then it's not a bhut, it's red habanero. Have to agree with thew folks in this thread, the RIGHT thing to do is stop selling them. Adding a disclaimer and continuing to sell them is BS. Stuff like this is exactly why I left your company off my list of places to buy seeds - see my signature. Lot's of people use that list and I would not knowingly add a company that's seemingly ok with selling "bhuts" that are not bhuts. I would guess most people don't care about a couple bucks for a pack of seeds, they care about the fact they spend months growing them only tio find out they are not growing what they though they were growing. a refund or exchange at that point is more of a slap in the face than anything else.

Mistakes happen I think most people get that - this though is not a mistake, it's intentionally taking advantage of people. Two thumbs down seedrack :(

Back