• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Bhut Jolokia Ghost Pepper" - ID please

I have been a business owner myself. I would completely understand the business side of it all. The fact that it takes too darn long to grow all the things out to find out if they grow true and all that. BUT the fact that there are people who take the time to do this IS reason enough to buy from folks like them. Yes it's a lot of effort, a lot of money and a lot of land. But if you sell quality product and actually sell what you claim. Then why not just charge a little bit extra for the effort? I would gladly pay just a bit more knowing that the product i'm getting is what I am paying for.

my 2 cents.

Justaguy said:
False advertising is my 2 cents.
+1 !

There's no excuses or bull s*#! disclaimers that can cover something like this, the product being sold isn't whats listed plain and simple. Every year I see similar posts like this with seeds purchased from online resellers of seeds. I'm sorry for you guys that got burned but at least it wasn't a total waste as you got some kind of pepper out of it. Chalk it up to a learning experience and stick around forums like this to know where and when to purchase quality seeds.

We have decided to discontinue offering the Bhut Jolokia seeds. Despite assurances from our supplier to the contrary, too many of the seeds are simply not producing results that are true to type -- or at least not the type most people associate with a Bhut Jolokia. While some people seem to be getting satisfactory results, some are not. We do hope to provide a more stable offering in the future.

They might have sent me the wrong seeds, but whatever they sent can get BIG.
102_0448.jpg

102_0447.jpg

They might have sent me the wrong seeds, but whatever they sent can get BIG.

Very cool!

My CR pods got to a really nice size too,so it wasn't a total loss. Keeping some seeds for next year.

Same here. I was told they may be Red Habs instead of Caribb Red Habs. I have read that Carribs are hotter then plain Reds. These are as hot if not hotter then the true Caribbean Reds I grew last year I doubt they are plain Reds, but they may be a cross of something. Next year I think I will grow these and some of my true Caribb Red seeds from last year to compare closer. In the name of science of course...Baaahahahaha Burn Baby Burn :hell:

mo-mntbkr,

I have a feeling we have spoken on the phone about these peppers! I am still waiting if you want to come by and check out my plants. Also, I now have a website, www.ghostpepperstore.com if you just want to order some seeds.

I have been seeing this far too often! I have ghost pepper seeds available and they are the real deal. I would post my website, but I don't want everyone thinking that I am just here to promote. I LOVE this plant and I want to be able to offer genuine seeds to those who are going to respect this plant. Send me a PM if you want to talk about seeds or need help growing this pepper.

They are not. If they are not light green immature (a recessive trait), small and roundish while tapering off to a point (not too common for "Habanero" types) and have heart shaped leaves (not too common for C. Chinense) then one tends to think of the one pepper that looks like that... What could it be? Oh yes, a Caribbean Red. And since most people who identify them as Caribbean Reds are also probably growing them or have grown them at some time.

Seriously, how many peppers have you seen that look like a Caribbean Red? Not too many I'd bet.

If he had showed a picture of some unknown dark green pod and or wrinkles and or elongated, I don't think anyone would have said Caribbean Red. Why? Because it doesn't look like it.

I think it's pretty clear, there are lots of people growing "Caribbean Reds" and they don't even know it. Add to it that they are a very popular variety in the first place and produce a ton of peppers with a unique flavor with almost twice the heat of a typical habanero and you can see why so many people are growing them.

Just some evidence for you.... I am growing both Caribbean Reds and Orange Habs and I got my seeds from Burpee.com .....

CARIBBEAN REDS.... NOTE THE LIGHT GREEN COLOR AND MORE ROUNDED SHAPE PODS COMING TO A POINT....
DSC03788.JPG

COMPARED TO A NORMAL ORANGE HAB WITH THE DARKER GREEN COLOR AND THE MORE WRINKLY SHAPE....
DSC03795.JPG

These look just like the CR's I bought from a local nursery, except bigger. The heat level is at least the same. :mouthonfire:

002a.jpg

Those do have the unripe light green color but are a bit wrinkly and could likely be a cross between Caribbean Reds and a Red Hab maybe or at least some kind of more wrinkly fruit.

Those do have the unripe light green color but are a bit wrinkly and could likely be a cross between Caribbean Reds and a Red Hab maybe or at least some kind of more wrinkly fruit.

U)<now,

I believe you're correct; After closer examination the nursery purchased plants do have rounder pods like your first picture. So is the wrinkly shape a common trait of red hab's?

I, too, bought "Bhut Jolokia" seeds from Whatcom. They are identical to your pix. I spoke with an older dude at Whatcom. He said that he got the seeds from a distributor, so he's blaming them. Then, he made up an bizarre excuse that the seeds are bhut's but are displaying recessive genes. Good one, eh?
Anyhow, I got the Oregon Better Business Burear involved. He did refund my VISA, though, which I thought was honorable. But, it sounds like he has taken no action to correct this issue, so that's why I got the BBB involved.

Back