• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut jolokia

Here's a Bhut I topped and kept in a 24 Oz cup.

Now here is a Bhut from the same seeds and germinated at the same time repoted the same day in the same soil. Only difference is this one was not topped and has been in a 1 gallon for the last 6 days.

Nice, healthy-looking seedlings! :)

Just a suggestion : Consider moving each seedling into its individual pot before their roots get entangled, which won't take very long given the rate at which they seem to be growing.

:)
Ok. I planned to let them grow in this pot for a month, but i will consider moving them very soon.

1968dart: Nice plants ! You are talented. Bhut is a bushy and compact plant, i am right?

The Bhut is a bushy pepper compared to my Aji. For your information if you leave those plants in the same pot for 1 month they will be as one. There root systems will be so intertwined that it would be a miracle if you where able to get them apart. Also bye the looks of how wet the top of your soil is you've already experienced a miracle in not having you seedlings damping off. my suggestion is to get those babies into some solo cups ASAP. Drill or melt 5 holes in the bottom of the cup the pepper is going in then put that into another cup without holes. Start watering from the bottom. And get a fan blowing on them. Unless there outside.
If you what some pics look here at the first cope post and you'll see the cups.
http://thehotpepper.com/user/10169-1968dart/

Yeah i think you are right. 99% of the plants i grow are peatbog and swamps plants, so i have the habbit to keep the soil wet or moist, but i will note your(and ronin) advices. I will repot these lil guys in the next few days!

My lil guys grow nicely, but i think i will have too much plants for the space i have. I think i will give away some.

I bought a fan also :)

15575652617_6caf4c3d14_b.jpg

Hi guys. This morning, i found one leaf on the floor. The leaf is perfectly green, not yellow. The night here are about 15-16C with a light air flow. I wondering what is the perfect night temperature for my pepper plants if they get 24C all days. Its only a leaf, maybe im just parano, but i HAVE to ask :)

They start to look good, in my opinion but night temps keep me in doubt...

Its my first pepper plants :)

Bhut jolokia plants by dals009, on Flickr

Bhut jolokia by dals009, on Flickr

The picture was taken right after watering, the first one since october. They dont drink fast! The relative humidity is 30% all the time.

Thanks for the reply. Yes hogleg sent me some amazing seeds, im loaded for next spring :)

Whatever the specie i grow, im pretty sure i will like the fruits, because it will be my first. I still hope for real bhut jolokia... :)

For the watering, the media was 100% dry, so i add some water.

16C at night is ok for pepper plants?

Also, thanks for the link, i will probably buy a couple seeds packs for my friends n me !

Beautiful plants maiden. I havent had much luck with bhut jolokias eventhough i have loads of seeds now. Hopefully yours grow up well. =)

Those are some very pretty plants - whatever they may be.  ;)

It's not too late to spend $2 and BE SURE of what you've got.  :hot:
http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/pepper-species/capsicum-chinense/bhut-jolokia-red-detail

Careful with the water; too much is worse than too little.  Letting the plants go until you see slight wilt won't hurt anything.  Pick up the pots to judge how dry they are.
The media was dry since a couple days, but no wilting signs. I add water yesterday and i think i made a error.

These pictures was taken 24hrs later.

What do you think guys?

IMG_20141122_202634 by dals009, on Flickr

IMG_20141122_202655 by dals009, on Flickr

Overwatering pepper plants by dals009, on Flickr

The media dry fast, the surface look dry. I hope my plants just sent me a warning, and everything will be ok if i dont overwater them again.

Next time i will wait for a slight wilt before watering my babies..

Maiden, enjoy your peppers for what they are. Just because they aren't what you expected or wanted, doesn't mean they are necessarily terrible. Time will tell for that. In the meantime, if you want true Bhuts, there is no shortage of reputable places. Pepperlover.com is great! There are many people on THP who will share seeds. Let us know.

Oops, I replied before reading all posts. Beautiful plants!

I enjoy my pepper plants for what they are, no matter what species/cross/cultivar i have.

But if they die from overwarering, it will be very hard. I think they are overwatered right now, like you can see on my last pictures. That was my question. All the leaves tips are dry.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words :)

One of my favourite not-super hots came from a sketchy seed source, and popped from a bag of seed that produced nothing similar. Just think, now there's the slight element of surprise. Wotcha goin' to get  :P It does look slightly overwatered, but it sounds like you've got a handle on how to move on from here. Oedema may pop up in a few days, but it's harmless.

IMO, its a combination of them being too hot/the lights being too close, combined with not getting water quick enough.
I get that when i leave the plants in the burning sun when they need water..I give them water and pop them in the shade for an hour and they are back to normal.

IMO, its a combination of them being too hot/the lights being too close, combined with not getting water quick enough.
I get that when i leave the plants in the burning sun when they need water..I give them water and pop them in the shade for an hour and they are back to normal.
Thanks for your reply :)
I dont think its a lack of water. Same for heat n light. But i admit the symptoms can be similar.

I grow my pepper plants 10 inches under 2* 48 inches 54w 6400k. And the temps are 24/16-17C (day/night).

Everything was fine, thriving and looked beautifull. A couple hours after the watering, all my plants(7) top leaves dryout at the same time. I use miracle grow soil mix, so its not a well drained soil. A lot of sphagnum peat moss in the media. I think the problem was me, i have to add a small amount of water, from the bottom, when the plant wilt a lil. My error
was adding too much water, too quickly, before the wilt.

I grow only carnivorous plants since years, these are peatbog plants and require a LOT of water, all the time.
I have to ajust my watering routine to my pepper plants. Like many ppl told me, my plants sent me a little warning, as they are slighly overwatered. Next time i will wait to see a wilting before adding any water, even if i have to wait a month.

Lesson learned :)

They seem to be growing much faster than my Bhuts. My bhuts, are very, very slow - but that is to be expected with a 120 day var.

Here are my bhuts (center row) around 50 days after sprouting. The middle one grew extra huge leaves for some reason. My bhuts have slightly larger leaves that most of my other vars. Right now the internodal spacing is quite short compared to most of my vars as well - however there are a few that compare, such as the the Trinidad Scorpions. Although, it may just be that they have not reached the "stretching" stage as of yet, and they are just building up to it.

You can always take a look at my GLOG as they develop to compare. My Bhut Jolokia seeds are from Baker Creek.

slade122 said:
They seem to be growing much faster than my Bhuts. My bhuts, are very, very slow - but that is to be expected with a 120 day var.

Here are my bhuts (center row) around 50 days after sprouting. The middle one grew extra huge leaves for some reason. My bhuts have slightly larger leaves that most of my other vars. Right now the internodal spacing is quite short compared to most of my vars as well - however there are a few that compare, such as the the Trinidad Scorpions. Although, it may just be that they have not reached the "stretching" stage as of yet, and they are just building up to it.

You can always take a look at my GLOG as they develop to compare. My Bhut Jolokia seeds are from Baker Creek.

Awesome plants!!

Back