• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut jolokia

Mhmm

Got a bad surprise this morning.

My flower is dying the bad way; even the stalk. This will not produce a pepper for sure :-(
15904441967_141cac96d0_b.jpg

Anyone can help?

The growing conditions are 24/16C day/night 35% relative humidity. I water only when i notice a little wilt, with fresh and room temperature water.

:/
Maybe i have to water them before the wilt? Maybe the wilting can be the cause of the drying flower ?

Definitely needs a boost in humidity, and that hair isn't doing you any good. Baad mojo.

The wilt/water thing is to get an idea of a watering cycle, I wouldn't do it every time unless you're water stressing fruits.

When you said a boost in humidity, you mean watering more often or raising relative humidity?

And what hair you are talking about?

On another forum, they tell me the dying flower sterm is normal when the pollination is not successful. Also i cannot water them more, my plants show signs of overwatering if i water them before a light wilt. I check the plants several times a day, and i water them when the 2-3 lower leaves are wilting a tiny bit, not the whole plant. Its not a good method ? Im mixed up :/
Edit: you mean the cat hair on the right side? I got 3 cats here, hairs happen lol :)

Dont worry you will lose flowers no matter what you do.I have had literally thousands fall off my plants and they are still full of fruit

Heh, I was just pulling your leg :D

Raising relative humidity. I haven't set a pepper yet indoors at around 35-40, though I suppose variety plays a part there.

Swampy's right, even when conditions are great you'll still drop a few flowers. Light wilting isn't bad, with heavy wilt you're likely to lose a few roots to drying. All I meant was that it is usually recommended as a was to determine a rough watering cycle re: how many days apart.

Thanks for your answers guys. Nice to know that losing flowers is 'normal'. I now have a watering routine; little bit of water 2 times a week. I will see from there.
Cheers! :)

Maiden said:
Mhmm
Got a bad surprise this morning.
My flower is dying the bad way; even the stalk. This will not produce a pepper for sure :-(
15904441967_141cac96d0_b.jpg

Anyone can help?
The growing conditions are 24/16C day/night 35% relative humidity. I water only when i notice a little wilt, with fresh and room temperature water.
:/Maybe i have to water them before the wilt? Maybe the wilting can be the cause of the drying flower ?
I found an American essay on fruit-set (successful pollination) in C. chinense, which stated that night-time temperatures less than 65°F. (17°C.) will not allow successful pollination. I don't recall which selection from a Google search offered this data -- there were quite a few, each slightly differing on the lowest temperatures allowing fuit-set.
I suspect you could improve chances of fruit-set by preventing the night temperature from falling below 18°, but keeping it cooler than the daytime temperature.
Also, spraying flowers with cold water, even once, could kill any open flowers that are pollinated, and in the process of fruit-set.
A minimum relative humidity needed -- i seem to remember -- is something like 50 or 60%.

On a personal note, last summer, in my maritime climate, we had only one occasion with 3-4 consecutive nights where i am certain the temperature stayed above 15°C. That time period was the only time my bhuts outside set fruit soon enough to ripen. One actually did!

One thing i noticed about your photo: the flowerbuds are all clustered tightly at the top of the plant, much like several varieties of dwarf ornamental C. annuum (ie.: "Medusa"). The very short time from germination to bloom also suggests this... although, frankly, you're speedy germination-to-bloom time is still quite amazing!
Some ornamentals are now being selectively bred to have no capsaicinoids ("Medusa" is one with low pungency -- maximum 1,000 Scoville Heat Units), for purposes of child safety -- but this might be a useful crop to you even if that is the case: the seeds could be unusual gifts for younger relatives, friends' children, anyone you know who might share your botanical interests.
However, the dark anthers look very C. chinense-like.... An experienced forum member migh be able to quickly identify species from viewing the stem and calyx of the flower. My practical experience is slight.

Thanks a lot for the detailled reply!

For the temps night time drop, the only place i can grow them right now is next to my nepenthes setup, and these are highland plants. The nights temperatures HAVE to be under 20C, like 16C. Days are at 23-25C
And i bought these plants 100$ each, i just cant give em anything else but perfect growing conditions.
So i hope i will be able to pollinate a couple pepper flowers.

For the pepper species, thanks for the input. At the end, i will be happy with what i have, and i gain experience everydays. In a couple weeks, i will try some seeds i got from this forum's generous members, and next spring i will be able to grow them outdoor in the right temperatures range !

My first pepper growing!!
15659532144_beff05bfc4_b.jpg

After many tests, my pepper plants need to have a LOT of water all the time. If i let the soil dryout, all my flowers abort. When i add water every 2-3 days, the plant look stronger with wide open flowers and now i have peppers growing.

I have to keep the soil moist(not wet) all the time. Quite strange !

I'm getting very curious about the identity of this strain... i feel a bit like a minor character in a detective/mystery story.
You've taken another sad story of unethical merchants on Ebay, and made it into a fascinating detective/mystery tale!! Personally, i'm very interested in finding out the species, type and variety of this pepper.
Not finding out would be like reading an Agatha Christie novel, and finding the last few pages are missing!

This is the dark dreary time of year, and you've made this thread fascinating. Thank you.

Thanks for your kind words :)

Last night the flower is almost gone. The peppers grow very fast..
What you think guys?
Jalapeño ?
15666035584_460a588a49_b.jpg

Jalapenos would only grow one flower per node, but they also don't look like chinense pods unless they'll get more gnarly as they grow.  Quite puzzling...

Yes very puzzling !

The plants are 8 inches height maximum, with little leaves. Its perfect for indoor growing. If the taste is good and the mystery peppers hot enough, i will collect some seeds and grow them again for sure. Its kinda bonzaï pepper plants!

Someone on another forum think about carolina cayenne, thai super chili or serrano. What do you guys think ?

If they keep growing up like that I'd say it's probably a Thai variety or similar.  They tend to grow long skinny pods that stay upright

Pepper joe replied to my email:
Your pepper is in the Cayenne family. Looks exactly like the Pueblo pepper that I sold many years ago. It could also be a Japanese variety or a type of Thai Pepper.
Enjoy,
PJ

That's nice of him to guess at what he sold you :D I finally figured out one of his plants was a chocolate Fatalii. I like surprises hehe

Back