• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter 1920 :shrug:

Hello! I might as well try this. List is still in progress. Yes, I'm way behind, but who's in a hurry, anyway? Lol

Here's what has germinated and is now in the dirt. More to come. Waiting on germination.

Cinder F5
Black Naga x Peri-Peri F3 (Brown)
Volante
MustardGum NagaBrain
Purple BBG x 2
JPGS x Primo x 2
GSM (Grocery Store Mystery...Brown)
Brown Moruga
Black Panther
Berry Amarillo

Later added as germinated:
Rocoto Oculta CLEF
Caramel Moruga
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Purple Reaper

7kZ4znd.jpg

I'll leave this recipe for Depression Bread here...just in case...
7eMaxgF.jpg

ahayastani said:
Perhaps the solution is to work with containers only (and not scraping off top soil for use in the containers :D ).

No mushroom cultivators (champignon type...) in your area where you might source spent mushroom compost?
The thing is, that was the plan: containers only. But I'm broke and couldn't afford containers [plus, everyone kept buying them out, (Marijuana is legal here) just like the potting soil]. Which is why I replaced the soil in each hole in the garden, hoping that it would work. It didn't. The juglone seeped from the garden dirt into the new soil. Trial and error. Maybe buckets IN the holes with barrier from garden dirt, next year???

Was doing a little reading about juglone and saw this:

"...Raised beds near trees will help minimize toxicity, but care should be taken to keep leaves, twigs, branches, and nuts out of the bed.  Black walnut leaves, bark, and wood chips should not be used as landscape mulch or composted on garden plants."

https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/plants-tolerant-black-walnut-toxicity

So, maybe raised beds of some sort could help. Dunno. Just another option to consider.

Bhuter said:
The thing is, that was the plan: containers only. But I'm broke and couldn't afford containers [plus, everyone kept buying them out, (Marijuana is legal here) just like the potting soil]. Which is why I replaced the soil in each hole in the garden, hoping that it would work. It didn't. The juglone seeped from the garden dirt into the new soil. Trial and error. Maybe buckets IN the holes with barrier from garden dirt, next year???

Being broke sux, I feel and understand your pain.

DownRiver said:

"...Raised beds near trees will help minimize toxicity, but care should be taken to keep leaves, twigs, branches, and nuts out of the bed.  Black walnut leaves, bark, and wood chips should not be used as landscape mulch or composted on garden plants."

https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/plants-tolerant-black-walnut-toxicity

So, maybe raised beds of some sort could help. Dunno. Just another option to consider.

I came accross an interesting information sheet compiled by Purdue University (PDF). It states a similar advice and lists some common plants that are sensitive (e.g. cabbage, pepper, tomato) and tolerant (e.g. onion, carrot) to juglone.

DownRiver said:

All things considered.........
That probably would've been/would be the best option. Thank you! I guess TRUCKLOADS of soil, then. Lol

In my mind, it seemed like more work/more money. But if I'm not getting anything out of what I'm currently doing, that money was wasted, anyway. Lol

Thank you!

Bhuter said:
I grew an Aji Charapita last year. Were they yellow? Orange? I don't remember. But that's what THESE are, but the seeds came from Jay Weaver's farm via Bookers. Not as round as the last plants' pods.

Bhuter, I know this is several days old but I wanted to reply.  I am growing 1 Charapita plant from seeds I saved from pods I got from you last year.  (Aji Charipita and Cinder).  The Cinder is F5 this year.  Anyway here is a pic of a Charapita I just picked tonight.  Definitely yellow and round.  Hot too!  

IMG_2544.jpeg

And this Cinder has a few pods.  Here is a shot of one of them showing the color.  They are a real pale green right now.  I looked at your pics and they don't seem to be as pale as mine but pics aren't always accurate.  I guess  my question is are yours this real pale green?  And yes this color in this pic is pretty accurate.

IMG_2541.jpeg

Tybo said:
Bhuter, I know this is several days old but I wanted to reply.  I am growing 1 Charapita plant from seeds I saved from pods I got from you last year.  (Aji Charipita and Cinder).  The Cinder is F5 this year.  Anyway here is a pic of a Charapita I just picked tonight.  Definitely yellow and round.  Hot too!  

attachicon.gif
IMG_2544.jpeg

And this Cinder has a few pods.  Here is a shot of one of them showing the color.  They are a real pale green right now.  I looked at your pics and they don't seem to be as pale as mine but pics aren't always accurate.  I guess  my question is are yours this real pale green?  And yes this color in this pic is pretty accurate.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2541.jpeg
DOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

That looks fantastic and right on the money for phenotype!!!!

Are you able to isolate the plant or a flower or two? I would DEFINITELY want isolated or OP seeds from that!!

:dance: :woohoo: :dance: :woohoo:

I'm uber excited!!!

YES! THE MORE PALE, THE BETTER, imo.

That's why I'm kind hopin' MY plant turns caramel. I've seen both dark and light green pods turn caramel, but the pale ones seem to have a better chance, to me.

This is a plant from Sandra's (fiogga) seeds. They're hanging on the backside.
Cinder F5 (she grew just like you and saved seeds for me). But if you zoom in, hers are really pale, also.
oFsDt1C.jpg

My seeds:
gDDWpRm.jpg

rFm0f7Q.jpg

Not nearly as pale, so I may need your seeds if mine breaks color.......if you would be so gracious!

Thank you! And YELLOW! It WAS yellow. lol. I honestly didn't know. (Yeah, this orange one has a bite!)

I haven't isolated any yet.  I will try to hang those wedding favor bags over some buds.  I tried gluing some of my wild plants buds but didnt have any luck.  All of the buds I glued ended up just falling off! :banghead:
I may still have some seeds from the pods I saved from last year.  
You want Cinder seeds too if I can get some isolated?  I'll try.

Tybo said:
I haven't isolated any yet.  I will try to hang those wedding favor bags over some buds.  I tried gluing some of my wild plants buds but didnt have any luck.  All of the buds I glued ended up just falling off! :banghead:
I may still have some seeds from the pods I saved from last year.  
You want Cinder seeds too if I can get some isolated?  I'll try.
I would greatly appreciate it! Just Cinder seeds, please. I have way better luck with gluing, if it doesn't rain. lol. I used to dip my pinky in the glue and paint it on the petals. After grr, blah, c'mon, and :mope: of falling, closed flowers, I started using a water bottle cap. Anything shallow to put the glue in so you can just DIP and Tag (damn tags are the most frustrating part).

Thank you VERY much! Don't feel obligated to isolate. I would still be super-excited for OP's.

Woohoo!!!! Looks frickin' great!

I'll try the bags and the bottle cap method.  One of them has to work right?!
Either way I'll get some seeds your way later.  

HA! I just thought about it:
The Cinder is part Italian....thanks to Enrico (Mojo)! I used his seeds last year!

Tybo said:
I'll try the bags and the bottle cap method.  One of them has to work right?!
Either way I'll get some seeds your way later.
Great, man! That is REALLY great!!!! Thank you so much!

I wonder if I can just feed the fruits? I don't want to start trimming and change anything, because the tomatoes are still looking good.

Blush Tiger
r96cJU9.jpg

GkgCvWP.jpg

Primora (Chocolate BeefSteak)
TsSeEkA.jpg

Nelinka Cherry
dWEcJRn.jpg

Dancing With Smurfs
xQD5yks.jpg

If you flip this pic upside down, it kinda looks like a cycloptic Mickey Mouse.
La Victoria BeefSteak (seeds from the Brand)
rxFxGj4.jpg

Bhuter said:
 I have way better luck with gluing, if it doesn't rain. lol.

Has anyone ever tried a glue that holds up to water better?  I won't go so far to say "waterproof" but something like titebond III used in woodworking.  

Tybo said:
Has anyone ever tried a glue that holds up to water better?  I won't go so far to say "waterproof" but something like titebond III used in woodworking.
This year, I myself am trying wood glue! It works great for me! It may burn a little easier in the sun, but I've only seen about 1/8 to 1/4 of the petals turn brown.......still ballooning and doing its thing........even after a little rain.

So yes! I would give it a shot!

These were glued with wood glue.
L5qAFrU.jpg

Back