• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bhuter's 2018 Glog

Hello everybody! I'm late again to the adventures of pepper growing. Seeds didn't hit the towel until March 6, so I have some still below, some hooks, and some little plants. Not too much to look at right now but how about a growlist.

2018 Growlist

Red BBG7 (Ocho Cinco 2014)
BOC (Mine)
Black Naga x Peri-Peri F2 (Mine)
Bishop's Crown
Brown Moruga (PL)
Peach Bhut (WM)
SB7J (Pex Peppers 2014)
Pumpkin Bubblegum (Ford's)
Peach Scotch Bonnet (WHP)
OrangeGum TigerMAMP (GIP)
California Reaper (Tyler Farms)
Ramirez Stinger (mpicante)
BBG Peach Ghost Jami (Mojo)
Monster Apocalisse (Mojo)
Purple Ghost Scorpion (Mojo)
Chocolate Primo (Butch T)
PDN x 7 Pot Caramel F1 (Mine)
PDN x Bonda ma Jacques F6 White & Purple (PaulG)
Purple Flower Baccatum (Mojo)
Wartryx (windchicken)
Purple Flower BBG (Mojo)
PeachGum v3 (Mojo)
Biker Billy Jalapeño (Tyler Farms)
Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet (MikeUSMC)
Peach Clavo x Pink Tiger (Ford's)
Caramel BBG7 (WHP)
7 Pot Cinder Caramel F3 (also have F2 clone overwinter)

Lots of crosses, purples, & BBG. I also air layered a clone from the Caramel Cinder F2 last year (with the help of pepper-guru...thanks, Rich) and it's been in stasis until recently. Just starting new growth and already set a pod.

8U4MXPe.jpg

And here's the whole lot. I don't have much room...just what I can fit under a card table.

Cy0FhOj.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

If the garden dries out, I'm going to put these guys in the ground...with the exception of the two in bigger pots/buckets. I think they're ready. I'm sure I'll still get sunburn. Lol
rCq69IO.jpg

And I have my first ripe pod of the season. :woohoo: I just don't know how I'm gonna consume it. I'm saving the seeds because it was the first plant to flower and set, so it's isolated...if the seeds are developed. 7 Pot Cinder Caramel F2
fiEjHht.jpg

b3rnd said:
Looking good man! That Cinder Caramel is beautifully coloured. By the way, how does that air layering stuff work and why did you decide to do it?

Thank you, Bernd! I love Caramel pods. Great question! Air layering was suggested by Rich (Pepper-Guru) and he said it was quicker and easier than just cutting a branch off. He was right! Basically, you cut the outer "skin" off of a portion of the branch, wrap moistened moss or soil (I only had soil) around the cut with Saran Wrap, then foil. The branch continues to grow regularly and roots will emerge from the cut and travel through the moss/soil...depending on how long you leave it on. It was the end of the season and it was getting a little chilly, but I left it on for two weeks and the beginning of roots emerged. Note the white part.
zefAUVM.jpg

I snipped below the white and planted it. Just watered when it was dry (a normal overwinter) and it actually took! I was gonna embed a video, but just search "air layering" on YouTube. There are a lot.

Thanks again!

Very interesting. Did you use any rooting compound on your air layering scrape? It took me a couple of “read throughs “ on your air layering post, but I assume you have to leave the branch on the plant.
Hopefully the garden area dries up soon for, you guys got a lot more rain down there, than up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Very interesting. Did you use any rooting compound on your air layering scrape? It took me a couple of read throughs on your air layering post, but I assume you have to leave the branch on the plant.
Hopefully the garden area dries up soon for, you guys got a lot more rain down there, than up here.

Thanks! No rooting compound. Yes, the branch is still on the plant. I don't really know the specifics, unfortunately. I've been trying to find the video I watched, but I don't remember which one it was. It was short and told you about the phloem and xylem and how it worked.

Bhuter said:
Thank you, Bernd! I love Caramel pods. Great question! Air layering was suggested by Rich (Pepper-Guru) and he said it was quicker and easier than just cutting a branch off. He was right! Basically, you cut the outer "skin" off of a portion of the branch, wrap moistened moss or soil (I only had soil) around the cut with Saran Wrap, then foil. The branch continues to grow regularly and roots will emerge from the cut and travel through the moss/soil...depending on how long you leave it on. It was the end of the season and it was getting a little chilly, but I left it on for two weeks and the beginning of roots emerged. Note the white part.

(img)

I snipped below the white and planted it. Just watered when it was dry (a normal overwinter) and it actually took! I was gonna embed a video, but just search "air layering" on YouTube. There are a lot.

Thanks again!

Cool! That's very interesting, thank you. So it's basically a better way to clone a plant, right? I might give it a shot this year, sounds like a useful skill. Pepper-Guru always lives up to his nickname, doesn't he?  :D

b3rnd said:

Cool! That's very interesting, thank you. So it's basically a better way to clone a plant, right? I might give it a shot this year, sounds like a useful skill. Pepper-Guru always lives up to his nickname, doesn't he?  :D
Yes! I'm sorry. I didn't answer your initial question. I chose to air layer because I wanted to save my plant without digging it up. So yes, it's a great way to clone!

So I decided to cut open the ripe pod and see if there were any good seeds in there, being that they're isolated. There were mini pods inside, but I cleaned them out and found 11 good seeds within the mass.
72fPKyU.jpg

2SByYHa.jpg

I forgot to snap a pic before deseeding, but the placenta wasn't huge. I haven't had anything hot besides sauces in a while and my dumbarse chose to eat half of it. Holy cow! I could feel the heat spreading. I knew I was done for. I'm gonna be in the middle of tilling when the cramps set in...and I will get them. But it was flippin' hot!

Thanks, CSB!

DIRT DAY!!! FINALLY!!!
The ground was finally dry enough that I was able to go out and till up the garden. Note the tiller from the 80's. Lol
8NJbxnK.jpg

Got the plastic down and the trellis up.
kvHIqhm.jpg

And was able to get 28 plants planted while it rained. I usually plant right before sundown, but the rain was coming, so I figured it was safe.
03FVgdv.jpg

I have a couple maters and I'll fill up the empty spots with annuums and maters from the nursery.

Devv said:
Congrats on Dirt day!

That soil looks beautiful ;) You realize you'll kick my butt in no time :shh: 

Is that a Troybilt Pony? I bought one in the mid 80's, wore that Briggs out after 20 years, and gave it to my son. He threw a $100 Honda knockoff on it and it's still going..
Haha! It sure is a Troybilt Pony!!! Good eye! I believe it's all original. It belongs to my gf's dad. I've used it the last 5-6 years. It gets used once, maybe twice a year and it still only took 4 pulls to start today.

Thank you about the soil! It was terrible and hard the first year I tilled it, but I just keep turning it and have the weed block. The only thing I add is a granular fert before tilling. I should have it analyzed to see what's really going on in there. Lol. Thanks again!

I usually dig pretty big holes and fill it with a good mix of dirt, peat, perlite and fert goodies. I'm wondering if that's necessary, mainly because I got a bunch of holes to dig tomorrow lol. Can you describe what you do?

Genetikx said:
I usually dig pretty big holes and fill it with a good mix of dirt, peat, perlite and fert goodies. I'm wondering if that's necessary, mainly because I got a bunch of holes to dig tomorrow lol. Can you describe what you do?
I don't do much of anything. I spread a granular fert (11-15-11 this year...it's what I had) and I till it in. Lay the plastic down, cut my holes in it, dig a hole for the plant, put epsom and garden lime in the hole, break up the roots and plant. I've used the weed block for about 5-6 years and the only things that grow there before I till are tree seedlings from the damn squirrels burying their nuts. Those are easy to pull out. Then I just fertilize with whatever I choose that year. Usually it's MG but I'm trying Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro this year.

PtMD989 said:
Looks good. Now if only the weather will cooperate. [emoji106]

It actually hasn't been too bad for their first time out. It's been overcast and rainy...off and on. The plants are standing at attention with their little selves. Lol. But I'm still not sure how they'll handle a full day of sun. We'll see!

Yeah, it’s probably good for them to get some overcast weather for a little bit after the big move.

PtMD989 said:
Yeah, its probably good for them to get some overcast weather for a little bit after the big move.

How's your grow coming along? Do you have a glog?

Back