• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Bhuthead Andy's Hot Sauce

Figured I would make a thread for my sauce. Working on this one that has been posted a couple times.

Pumpkin Hot Sauce- Hot

1 can Pumpkin (~2 pounds)

5 # fresh red Peppers (Fresno, the generic red chiles from the supermarket)

2 bags Dried Cranberries (sweetened Craisins)

10 oz Sweet Onion

4 oz Garlic

6-8 leaves of Fresh Sage

2 cups balsamic vinegar

1 tsp Sea salt

Beer &/or wine to cover

This turned out fairly thick, we had to use a good bit of wine/beer to thin it out. One time we used white wine, another time it was a good hearty dark beer.

Based on a fermented recipe from Rocketman

Shared by salsalady

I didn't put sage in it. Isn't that the stuff that gives breakfast sausage its flavor? Idk I'm not a chef, so I didn't like the sound of that. I added cinnamon, clove, and some pumpkin spice which is a combo of those plus nutmeg and ginger.

Left out the garlic too.
Then doubled the recipe but only used about 5 pounds of mixed peppers.

Added honey, some water and acc and a 750 of wine from Germany I believe.

20180926_102057.jpg

20180926_102524.jpg

20180926_130350.jpg

20180926_125132.jpg

20180926_142107.jpg

20180926_150904.jpg

Amazon. They sell special wooden tools separately to press the pulp through the sieve, but, reading through the reviews, I saw that you could do the same thing with a long-handled ladle, so long as the ladle was small enough to fit down pretty close into the bottom. I had one and it worked really well. And, some of those cherry tomato seeds were pretty small! It should work well for you, so long as the rest of the pulp isn't important to you. It's going to filter out most all of it.

On second thought, I didn't get watery red sauce. We used something similar to make applesauce when I was younger, so it might just work out for you. I had to make certain to scrape the pulp of the outside of the screen. Ask around. Maybe someone you know has one you could try.

Ended up just bottling it seeds and all, got 7-5oz woozies and 1-10oz for personal use! The seeds aren't as noticeable if you eat it on food, so thats a good thing. If you have digestive problems though, small seeds aren't good for that.

You should give some pepper jellies a shot, while you've got all those raspberries coming in, Bhut head! :)

My "go to" recipe:

-2lbs raspberries (any combo of berries, really: blackberry, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry)
-4 to 5 cups white sugar
-1 or 2 superhots
-4 to 5 tablespoons of powdered pectin
-1 tablespoon of lemon juice

Usually yields about 7-8 half pints, depending on how many cups of sugar you add
:cheers:
----------------------------------------------

You can also mix in 1/4 of cocoa powder to the sugar (BEFORE it goes into the pot, so it doesn't clump) to a strawberry jelly, and it's off the hook!

Raspberry pepper jelly will also make a pretty slammin' rib glaze. Just sayin'... ;)

I was actually gonna make a simple, non-hot raspberry jam, but my wife came in asking if I was making hot sauce. And she said she wanted hot sauce, so I went and grab ed a couple bell peppers, carrots, garlic, and a lemon. I have a bunch of pepper jelly left that I made towards the end of the season. I'm pretty sure I based it off of a pomegranate recipe that peter S has on YouTube. Its a little heavy on the vinegar, but you don't taste it in the jelly.

Ive seen you comment about the coco powder before, I'm gonna have to try that.

My wife got a giant bag of yellow bell peppers from a guy at the gas station, and a whole flat of different colored grape tomatoes. So I figured I should make some sauce. Gonna let it simmer and blend it up in the morning.

Yellow bell
Parsnips
Peaches
Golden raisins
Onions(white and red)
Garlic
Tomatoes
Peppers
White Vinegar
Probably add some sugar and salt. Idk what else

20191107_203435.jpg

20191107_211021.jpg

20191107_211001.jpg

20191107_211959.jpg

20191107_224358.jpg

20191107_234813.jpg

20191108_005917.jpg

20191108_014327.jpg

Thanks. I didnt have want bottles, and these little jars a friend brought me are actually for dry stuff. So I got 3 half gallon jars, 4 little half-pint jars, and 9- 12oz vinegar bottles I reused.(not sure if they sealed so I put them in the fridge.

Ph was at 4

Think I might call it "Impeach Me" or something along those lines

Walchit said:
I supposed it could be! Im still not sure I wanna eat hot sauce on my ice cream. Maybe I should make a fruit one without onions and garlic, those dont sound like ice cream ingredients lol.
We make a blackberry bhut hot sauce that's fabulous on ice cream.  

I grabbed a few manzano at the Mexican market the other day, stuffed them with pineapple and threw them on the grill.
I sliced off about 1/4" slice from the calyx end, that had a chunk of pineapple in it. Ate it between bites of steak, and it was incredible, then about 20-30 seconds later I started thinking "this pepper is a creaper". And a few seconds after that I told my wife she better not take a bite.

The burn lasted very long, and got out on the outside of my lips really bad. The flavor was so good though, so I busted out the blender, added the rest of the can of pineapple, some garlic powder, and red wine vinegar. I didnt cook it or anything, just blended it and put it in the fridge.

Its up there with some of my favorite sauce for sure, and sometimes you dont really notice the burn until your done eating and it still keeps building.

I definitely underestimated the thick walls of the manzano, and now I see why people praise the pubes so much

Just took the last pic, cause I never took a blended pic. Barely any left and that 12 oz jar was full yesterday.

20191211_180333.jpg

20191211_182935.jpg

20191220_120145.jpg

Back