• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Bhuthead Andy's Hot Sauce

Figured I would make a thread for my sauce. Working on this one that has been posted a couple times.

Pumpkin Hot Sauce- Hot

1 can Pumpkin (~2 pounds)

5 # fresh red Peppers (Fresno, the generic red chiles from the supermarket)

2 bags Dried Cranberries (sweetened Craisins)

10 oz Sweet Onion

4 oz Garlic

6-8 leaves of Fresh Sage

2 cups balsamic vinegar

1 tsp Sea salt

Beer &/or wine to cover

This turned out fairly thick, we had to use a good bit of wine/beer to thin it out. One time we used white wine, another time it was a good hearty dark beer.

Based on a fermented recipe from Rocketman

Shared by salsalady

I didn't put sage in it. Isn't that the stuff that gives breakfast sausage its flavor? Idk I'm not a chef, so I didn't like the sound of that. I added cinnamon, clove, and some pumpkin spice which is a combo of those plus nutmeg and ginger.

Left out the garlic too.
Then doubled the recipe but only used about 5 pounds of mixed peppers.

Added honey, some water and acc and a 750 of wine from Germany I believe.

20180926_102057.jpg

20180926_102524.jpg

20180926_130350.jpg

20180926_125132.jpg

20180926_142107.jpg

20180926_150904.jpg

La unica or "the rodeo" its right down the street from my house. A lot of the peppers have bad spots, and the extras I had went bad pretty quick. I can run down and see if they have any left, esp if your planning on driving down. I imagine now is manzano season or something, so check your Mexican carnicerias and stuff.

I had no idea you could find Manzanos around here. I checked every place in town about 7 years ago, but I guess there are some new carnicerias since I last checked. Good to know.

Walchit said:
La Unica Supermarket

1706 SE 6th Ave, Topeka, KS 66607
(785) 267-5407 https://g.co/kgs/zVWjMs
Andy .... Thanks.  Looks to be around 70 miles from my place.  Should be nice a nice drive.  Might put this on the agenda for tomorrow.  Would probably stop in Lawrence to see our son too.   

The wife and I made the trip to Topeka today and stopped by the La Unica.  It was a nice relaxing drive.  Kind of a crummy day for WX but the scenery was nice.  Unfortunately, no Manzanos today.  All was not lost ..... we ate a few tacos and bought several pounds of Carne Marinada for me to grill tomorrow, fresh tortillas, limes, crema and some pastries for breakfast.  We're having our big holiday fiesta dinner tomorrow.  I got a few cans of sardines in salsa (love them).  Stopped on the way back in Ottawa to pick up our grand daughter before heading back to Paola.  Fun time.  

Back