• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Big Disappointment

My mom brought me back a bottle of hot sauce (2 actually..she knows I collect). Tonight, I was excited to try this puppy out. I don't know how to post pictures, so I'll explain.

The sauce is Fig's One Drop Hot Sauce, made for Figueroa Bros. out of Dallas. The bottle has a dropper in the cap for emphasis.

Ingredients: Cayenne, water, acetic acid, Cayenne oleoresin (capsicum), food starch, caramel color.

Now I figured the oleoresin would give it a boost in heat, so I went a bit ease at first......nada. Added a bit more, still nothing. I used about a fifth of the bottle before I could peg down the flavor....this is a generic cayenne sauce. Now I like the taste of cayenne...don't get me wrong....but this is as generic as you can get....think "Texas Pete" without any heat at all (more so than Texas Pete, which wouldn't burn my Grandmother's tongue, were she still alive.

If you really want to try this sauce, ditch the dropper and pour it on liberally. Personally, though, I wouldn't waste the money or the time. Talk about a disappointment.

Wow, a company that fails to make an extract sauce hot - I've seen it all now =P

It's probably supposed to cater to the mainstream, to make them feel more macho when it comes to sauces - it's technically still an extract sauce, but not on the caliber of any other extract sauce by far =P

Did it have an extracty aftertaste?

~Trexxen

Whenever someone from the family or friends go on vacation n come back with hot sauce for me, I thank them n later tell them the sauce was good.
Usually though the sauces are good for nothing, colored salty vinegar water that I dump in the sink. However on the upside, I now have one less container that I have to buy. I use the empty bottle for my home made sauce.

Sauceman

I too often wonder how many sauces there really is..
unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo inside.
I have "hot sauce from hell devils revenge" the whole set from a local store and they suck.
there is some heat but they all taste the same .... all 5 different bottles .
I do get gift hot sauce that is good all the time but most i never buy a second bottle of.
I was in vegas and found a little stand that sold me my first bottle of daves insanity that to this day (sorry big) is the hottest ever.
I am still waiting to try some 16million extract to feel what is the hottest .
anyway as far as your latest gift... say thankyou and eat it and maybe one day you will get a bottle of hot that will be the best ever.
shayne

You might want to rethink a bit "closer to home" Shayne or prepare yourself for the "not-so-nice-part-of-the-stick" I have a few from members of the board and it is my opinion that these guys take a lot of pride in what they are making and listen to the feedback from us and friends and also hustle to get there product out there. I will say the sauces, happen to be some of the best I have had in terms of flavor, consistency and heat. Also some of the nicest people you will meet.

**love you guys** in a non-gay sort of way... not that there is anything wrong with it

DEFCON Creator said:
"unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo inside."

???

There, there, I'm sure he meant to say *Toxic* generic goo.

I like to try all the sauces I buy. I enjoy looking at all of my bottles (the collector in me) but I also like to try them. You never know 'til you give it a try.

This was just one of those sauces that I though was a waste of time. I will continue to experiment though....life is just too short to limit yourself to a handful of sauces. Even a broken clock gets it right 2 times a day.

staffing said:
Even a broken clock gets it right 2 times a day.

You can even see time fly with said broken clock too ....

I like to collect my bottles as well... its like a vapor trail of emptiness ...

I now know what is good in terms of sauces and those are bought again and again....

Figueroa Bros. mainly market to the novelty / "I have no clue what I'm doing" crowd, and in my hot sauce infancy I bought a few. Suffice it to say they are all on my "try before I buy" mental list.

shayneyasinski said:
...I am still waiting to try some 16million extract to feel what is the hottest...

at $310 per 1ml I doubt you'll be tasting it and if you do, it's even more doubtul you'd survive to tell the tale. please, order some and prove me wrong!

http://www.sweatnspice.com/429-13.htm

in fact, I reckon that if you ordered, consumed and made a dvd of it you could sell enough copies here on THP to cover the cost, say $400 for the extract and postage and the cost of the dvds, you'd only have to sell 40 at ten bucks a piece, even less if you charged $15. I'd buy one, would anyone else? set yourself up a Paypal account, take some advance orders and away we go!

now, an on-topic post...

I agree with the general theme of this thread, that is, most so called hot sauces are a joke heat wise. I find it best to find a nice flavoursome sauce and then add chile (hab) powder to it for the best of both worlds.

That is one of the great things about this board. We have a chance to mix it up with producers. I don't think I've had a bad product from anyone I've purchased from here. There is a reason, I believe, why many of the novelty sauce companies don't post here. Their sauces are novelties....not for the serious.

Are you kidding?!

"...unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo..."

It's times like this that I really miss The Angry Pepper!

shayneyasinski, your comment is more than insulting to me and many other fine sauce makers here, and I resent it greatly. I feel it ranks you as a nothing more than a groupie who is driven more by form than substance. What makes you qualified to determine that only these guys can produce a quality sauce (with FLAVOR -please!) and high heat? I will - and have - stack my sauces up against these guys any day (Okay, I do like Big's). That's why - with only 2 sauces - I walked away with a Golden Chili, 2 Silvers and a Bronze at ZEST-FEST this year.

What is your history as an award-winning sauce maker? You surely have the right to dislike any sauce based on your own personal bias, but I don't see where you have earned the right to be so judgmental with such a sweeping statement as you posted here. - E.Z.

shayneyasinski said:
I too often wonder how many sauces there really is..
unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo inside.
shayne

You're an idiot - EOM.

shayneyasinski said:

Dude, if your job was to piss off a lot of producers and most of the regulars on this board, mission acomplished. :P :mouthonfire:

shayneyasinski said:
I was in vegas and found a little stand that sold me my first bottle of daves insanity that to this day (sorry big) is the hottest ever.
I am still waiting to try some 16million extract to feel what is the hottest .
shayne

If Dave's is the hottest you've had, call 911 before you try 16 million, because you obviously are clueless. :lol: Dave's is about 55k if memory serves me correctly. Have you seen videos of what habaneros and Naga's do to people, which aren't anywhere close to pharmasutical grade 16 million extract? They f*** people up, even those used to eating very hot food. Those of us here with the highest tolerance won't mess with that stuff if it were given to us free.

well....
looks like i have pissed off alot people .
sorry.
my point was that alot of sauces are in fact just a fancy bottle with a fancy name and i have run across alot of this and that is why i posted the tread WHAT SHOULD I BUY!!!!!
I named a few major players that have there own very good sauces from what i have tasted.
keep in mind all i see around here is tabasco and about 30 kinds of bottles wraped around loisiana style sauce that is all the same.
I have defcon on my list and a few others that have been recamended to me.
I am not here to piss anyone off and i may have done so with my post but remeber that i have no problem buying any sauce to try and if i have not mentioned what you think is the best post it in my thread about what to buy and i will.
Is daves ultimate insanity and Uncle bigs serial killer in all your peoples opinion crap???
I am a little pissed that I ask what to buy and I get a few posts then i miss out a few key players and I get flamed.
As far as the 16 million I will eat a crystal to see how nuts it is.

please read...
"Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce. This is an insanely hot and spicy cooking additive and should be used diluted with oil or in soups, sauces, or chili.... Enjoy!! Use this product one drop at a time, it is extremely hot!!!! 90,000 scoville units 10+"

so is this bullshit???

DEFCON Creator said:
"unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo inside."

???

sorry i didnt add you to the list when i posted.
your wing sauce is on the next order.

LUCKYDOG said:
You might want to rethink a bit "closer to home" Shayne or prepare yourself for the "not-so-nice-part-of-the-stick" I have a few from members of the board and it is my opinion that these guys take a lot of pride in what they are making and listen to the feedback from us and friends and also hustle to get there product out there. I will say the sauces, happen to be some of the best I have had in terms of flavor, consistency and heat. Also some of the nicest people you will meet.

**love you guys** in a non-gay sort of way... not that there is anything wrong with it

is this the stuff your talkin about??
Danny Cash Radical Heat Hot Sauce 150 ml/5 oz

if so i will add it to my order.

Back