• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Big Disappointment

E.Z. Earl said:
"...unless its from dave,blair or big you more than likely are getting a lable with a generic goo..."

It's times like this that I really miss The Angry Pepper!

shayneyasinski, your comment is more than insulting to me and many other fine sauce makers here, and I resent it greatly. I feel it ranks you as a nothing more than a groupie who is driven more by form than substance. What makes you qualified to determine that only these guys can produce a quality sauce (with FLAVOR -please!) and high heat? I will - and have - stack my sauces up against these guys any day (Okay, I do like Big's). That's why - with only 2 sauces - I walked away with a Golden Chili, 2 Silvers and a Bronze at ZEST-FEST this year.

What is your history as an award-winning sauce maker? You surely have the right to dislike any sauce based on your own personal bias, but I don't see where you have earned the right to be so judgmental with such a sweeping statement as you posted here. - E.Z.

here my thread please post what you have to offer
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=3411

do be hurt just show up .

shayne

shayneyasinski said:
here my thread please post what you have to offer
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=3411

do be hurt just show up .

shayne

I suggest you read your own thread. DREAMTHEATERVT answered you pretty well:

"I would suggest Cape Fear Pepper Co.'s, for a sauce with a citrus kick I'd go with Danny Cash's Bottled Up Anger, Defcon for wing sauces, E.Z. Earl for BBQ sauce, Kato's Island sauce for a curry flavor, Marco's for mexican,..."

Funny - I don't see any of the 3 you mentioned in there?! - E.Z.

shayneyasinski said:
please read...
"Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce. This is an insanely hot and spicy cooking additive and should be used diluted with oil or in soups, sauces, or chili.... Enjoy!! Use this product one drop at a time, it is extremely hot!!!! 90,000 scoville units 10+"

so is this bullshit???

Yes and no. This is mostly legal-ese to cover their own asses. Pretty much anything above Texas Pete's has this type of warning on it.

shayneyasinski said:
is this the stuff your talkin about??
Danny Cash Radical Heat Hot Sauce 150 ml/5 oz

if so i will add it to my order.

That is one there are many more -- You must've looked on an other thread where I had mentioned it....
I mentioned this one because it had good flavor and decent heat mostly for my son who is 12 and enjoys eating/tasting hot foods.

There are plenty to choose from especially on this board
and yes you did miss on some very key members ... just look and read you will get an idea. Go to their sauce websites or stores and look for there names
shayneyasinski said:
As far as the 16 million I will eat a crystal to see how nuts it is.

and its comments like this that dont even make it worthwhile to discuss anymore

shayneyasinski said:
Is daves ultimate insanity and Uncle bigs serial killer in all your peoples opinion crap???

Please don't put words in our mouths. I like Uncle Big's Killer sauce, it's flavor really complements chili in particular. Dave is a big name, and to use drug lingo - he's a gateway sauce; a very hot sauce that can still be found in your grocery store. One of the first real hot sauces I had, and I cherish my memories from college when I used Insanity sauce regularly.

Ultimate Insanity may be 90k, I was thinking of insanity sauce. Point being that to make the leap from Dave's to a crystal of pure stuff is like trying to swim across the ocean after your first swimming lesson. You seriously have no idea what you are getting into. I posted a thread about when I tried to make extract when I was an undergrad, and that was a very painful experience, you should look it up because trying to handle a crystal would be a similar (and probably worse) experience. I'm a professional chemist and even with all my knowledge on safety and procedure I would not want to fool around with a crystal even in a controlled environment.

I also want to make it clear I'm not a shill for all the producers on this board. There are lots of sauces that I love that don't come to this board. Uncle Brutha comes to mind (he's a really great guy to, I met him), Original Death is still an all time favorite, and I'm becoming a fan of the Danny Cash line (love the two I've had so far). But since there are producers here that make some really good sauces, we all lean toward them because they are our friends because it's really neat to show a sauce to a friend and say, "I know who makes this"

Crap...fire alarm

Even the idea of ingesting the 16 million is insane. There really is no reason for it. I've been making extracts for some time now, and of course have had some rather unpleasant moments. I've got quite a few vials of the pure stuff, and the only use I've found for it is for home defense. It's more of a novelty to have it. I would highly suggest you not play around or even think of ingesting this stuff.

DEFCON Creator said:
Even the idea of ingesting the 16 million is insane. There really is no reason for it. I've been making extracts for some time now, and of course have had some rather unpleasant moments. I've got quite a few vials of the pure stuff, and the only I've found for it is for home defense. It's more of a novelty to have it. I would highly suggest you not play around or even think of ingesting this stuff.

As I say to persons who speak only of extreme heat, "Heat is neat - but savor the flavor!" Heat is easy if that is all a maker cares about - just keep pouring it in. But crafting a sauce as a carrier for the heat that presents its own unique flavor profile without flavor spikes for each ingredient (ie: vnegar) is where the talent lies. Even some of the well known makers break their pick on this aspect of gourmet sauce formulation, in my opinion. - E.Z.

has anyone eaten a crystal of 16 million??

I eat a teaspoon of serial killer in a bowl of soup and its just right I also eat a teaspoon straight up and its dam hot but I can do it where as alot of people take a toothpic with a dot on it and have to drink milk for an hour.

So a crystal of pure 16 in a bowl of soup may be insane but how many have tried it and how bad was it??

I am sure there has been someone in this world that has eaten a crystal of it and lived???

shayne

"I am sure there has been someone in this world that has eaten a crystal of it and lived???"

Hardly seems like a sensible question in the first place. It's like asking if someone has swallowed glass and lived. Sure they have, but it's hardly relevant since it's not what most people would consider "sane" from a health standpoint.

My guess is that the generalization of what you consider to be not worthy is the whole purpose of the angry answers. As others have mentioned, a lot of folks here make some mighty fine products and I should know since I've tried many of them.

My first reaction was that you were "trolling" in the forum but now my guess would be that you first of all made the mistake of starting a list and then only have two makers on it. Second, you generalized when slamming and that never gets most folks in a good mood. Finally, now that people are lashing back you keep answering in "defense mode" with things that don't always make sense.

This is a great group of folks that post here and while the arguments get a bit heated at times (pun intended) things usually smooth out in the end of it all. All of this is purely my opinion of course and I'm sure most of you fell asleep and started drooling before the end of my first comments but that's just me I suppose.

Kuz

You guys need to ease up on Shayne (especially whomever told him to leave THP). He didn't intentionally insult anyone with his general statement, if anything, it just shows his inexperience with the real sauces out there. Educate him.

He has asked for his account to be disabled.

I understand he pissed some of you off, but I did not read into it as intentional. As saucemakers you have to have tolerance for the inexperienced and if you are smart you can even work a sale out of it. This is not the first time a member has been run off.

Enough said.

it's a shame to lose site members due to a difference of opinion - maybe he'll return under a different nic one day.

we all learn by our mistakes.

I agree with E. Z. Flavor first. Always. Heat is secondary. I make my own sauces n what I did was build a sauce around one of my favorite spices, n once I got the flavor down pat for me, i started playing with different heat levels.

well heres some info on Blairs 16 mill and at $475 I still wouldnt buy it
but a story from someone who has tried it

The bottles are reverse threaded so that none of the crystals fall out when you unscrew the top. Inside there is a blue stopper that looks a lot like a salt shaker. The speck that you see towards the top right of the image below is a capsaicin particle from the shaker.

After racking my brain on how I could try this stuff without seriously injurying myself, I decided to mix one crystal into tomato soup. I took a can of standard condensed tomato soup, mixed with one can of water and brought it to a boil. The capsaicin crystal will not mix like any of the other Blair’s A.M. line, which makes perfect sense, since it’s a dry crystal and not an oil based extract. So the only way to liquify this stuff is to heat it up. So using tweezers and gloves, I picked up the tiny crystal.
And into the pot of soup it goes.

It’s important to note that the heat will not distribute throughout the soup right away, you need to continue to heat it up, preferably while stirring with a disposable spoon. After about 5 mintues of boiling, my soup was ready to go. First bite was not that hot, so I had the wife take a bite. She threatened divorce once she could speak again, so I tried it again. Then it was hot! So I took a few more bites and had to toss the rest of the pot away - it was too frickin’ hot! And it’s very rare for me to say something is too hot. But this is the hottest hot sauce product known to man. You can buy Blair’s 16 Million Reserve from Sweat ‘N Spice if you think you’re up to the challenge.

But then again, the bottle looks so spiffy, you probably won’t be able to bring yourself to open it. Don’t worry, your taste buds are already thanking you…

E.Z. Earl said:
As I say to persons who speak only of extreme heat, "Heat is neat - but savor the flavor!" Heat is easy if that is all a maker cares about - just keep pouring it in. But crafting a sauce as a carrier for the heat that presents its own unique flavor profile without flavor spikes for each ingredient (ie: vnegar) is where the talent lies. Even some of the well known makers break their pick on this aspect of gourmet sauce formulation, in my opinion. - E.Z.

Great quote. Extract-based sauces really are crap. If you want an extract, smart-off to a cop, they'll spray your face with some.

I like the mildly-hot type stuff such as the XX-Hot from Mike and Dianne or a Gator Hammock on a pollo asado burrito.

I'm looking forward to reading more on the boards about sauce and foods to learn more.

-MAYOR

"Extract-based sauces really are crap. If you want an extract, smart-off to a cop, they'll spray your face with some."

It's a bit obvious you haven't tried them all.

I make several different sauces...like most others here...Most of my sauces are natural but I do have a few extract sauces as well. Extract when used properly can really heat up a sauce without killing the taste! As for wanting to sample pure 16 million????? You're nuts...I've sampled one extract (from my supplier) that was 8 million (half as "hot" as pure) and thats plenty hot enough. I believe once you go past a certain heat level (that varies from person to person) it changes from heat to pain. Pain instead of heat does not make a good sauce.

The examples that shayneyasinski used for "good sauces" seemed to be just that examples....some of the more popular commercial brand just to give ya an idea. I agree though there are several relabled bottles of crap on the market but there are 10 X's that amount of really good and flavorful sauces out there.

Back