smokers Big Green Egg

Booma said:

that i am
perfect, please evaluate my theory that smoking in insulated cookers leads to less smoke-flavored meat than a higher-flow smokers because you just don't burn enough wood ...

that's my experience w/ the Akorn, but i don't Q enough to be positive ...

you Q enough that you'll know for sure, i think ...

cheers!

i think, and from what other ceramic/insulated cookers have spoken about, it seems to be more due to the amount of heat retention and moisture.

Yet to do low and slow in the egg, but have done a crap load in the insulated cabinet, bark is never as dark no matter how much wood, smoke is a little more subtle, but the meat is a heap more tender and moist.

From far more knowledgeable people than me, most seem to think the ceramic do produce the most subtle of smoked meats

that's true, it's about two to four hrs less time to smoke a brisket in my Akorn than in the Weber kettle, and it uses 1/8 the fuel ...

meat remains juicier, with thinner smoke ring ...

wood flavors are more subtle, for me ...

i've learned to basically burn pure fruit/hardwood if i want more flavor, leaving out the lump/coals ...

i also found that using a smaller SS collander/strainer basket filled with wood helps, because it makes a smaller fire that can burn hotter, making better taste, rather than filling the whole basket with fuel ...

Booma said:
in saying that, due to how insulated they are, it must be that the meat temp rises quicker than other pits, so for 1 the smoke ring has less time to happenb (i know its just visual) but also majority of the cooks are quicker also, as the hold temp for longer, come back to temp quicker after opening etc

Hey Booma I see you have been doing a ton of lamb. For a lamb roast, not using any smoke wood, what temp would you cook it? Still do low and slow or go higher?

tctenten said:
Hey Booma I see you have been doing a ton of lamb. For a lamb roast, not using any smoke wood, what temp would you cook it? Still do low and slow or go higher?

Slicing then? or pulling?

i do most my lamb, well pulling, all at minimum 275f, sometimes up to 325f, wrap at 180f, then rest at 205-210f

grantmichaels said:
that's true, it's about two to four hrs less time to smoke a brisket in my Akorn than in the Weber kettle, and it uses 1/8 the fuel ...

meat remains juicier, with thinner smoke ring ...

wood flavors are more subtle, for me ...

i've learned to basically burn pure fruit/hardwood if i want more flavor, leaving out the lump/coals ...

i also found that using a smaller SS collander/strainer basket filled with wood helps, because it makes a smaller fire that can burn hotter, making better taste, rather than filling the whole basket with fuel ...

yeah interesting about the strainer setup.

Havent looked into all the accessories or mods for the egg yet, sure there is heaps, but time

Booma said:

Slicing then? or pulling?

i do most my lamb, well pulling, all at minimum 275f, sometimes up to 325f, wrap at 180f, then rest at 205-210f
Would be for slicing. For easter dinner. I would probably look to have it medium to med well.

tctenten said:
Would be for slicing. For easter dinner. I would probably look to have it medium to med well.

hmmm i do stuff all roasts these days, apart from pork at xmas, would probably run it hot then, get the fat rendered, nice skin etc, but still get your medium.

Sorry, but thats about it, forgot my ways of roasts, been so long, haha, pork, all over it but, yeah, everything else low and slow

Booma said:

hmmm i do stuff all roasts these days, apart from pork at xmas, would probably run it hot then, get the fat rendered, nice skin etc, but still get your medium.

Sorry, but thats about it, forgot my ways of roasts, been so long, haha, pork, all over it but, yeah, everything else low and slow
what about low/slow and searing towards the end of the cook ?

how are you liking the steel chimney top? I've always thought the cast iron daisy wheel was one of the coolest components of the bge, but I would consider switching it up if there's a real difference in performance. 

ColdSmoke said:
how are you liking the steel chimney top? I've always thought the cast iron daisy wheel was one of the coolest components of the bge, but I would consider switching it up if there's a real difference in performance. 
I'm trying it out this weekend. All the reviews from users seem to be really good and they prefer it over the standard CI that comes with the BGE. 

image.jpg

Just waiting for the egg to get up to temp.

Back