smokers Big Green Egg

JayT said:
Not gonna change.  I have wanted one for the past six or eight years.  My grill died last year and I am buying this thing dammit.

I am grilling on a portable Weber right now, and I hate it.

Cool.

I'm a little down on high-efficiency for smoking ...

I have a 15 year old gas grill that finally needs replacing and I have been looking at some of the weber gas grills. I also have a WSM. Both the webers and the BGE seem equally expensive. Other than losing the ability to use gas, any other cons for replacing the gas grill with a BGE?

JayT said:
I am buying one of these very soon.
Are you sure? Isn't it overkill for hot dogs? : -)

I love the large version. The XL is too large imho and the mini just doesn't cut it either. Though the budgetary commission (i.e. the she boss) won't Let me buy one.

tctenten said:
I have a 15 year old gas grill that finally needs replacing and I have been looking at some of the weber gas grills. I also have a WSM. Both the webers and the BGE seem equally expensive. Other than losing the ability to use gas, any other cons for replacing the gas grill with a BGE?

Not that I can think of.

tctenten said:
Winter cooking, something nice about pushing a button stepping back inside and cooking while in snow :) You need both!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Winter cooking, something nice about pushing a button stepping back inside and cooking while in snow :) You need both!

Yeah..that is the trade-off I will have to consider.  The other thing is with a gas grill, my wife can use it.  There is no way she is dealing with charcoal.  It's the pizza aspect of it that has me really considering the BGE.

tctenten said:

Yeah..that is the trade-off I will have to consider.  The other thing is with a gas grill, my wife can use it.  There is no way she is dealing with charcoal.  It's the pizza aspect of it that has me really considering the BGE.

Well, that's the thing ... the lump is in there, you don't exhaust it until after a bunch of cooks, really ... the ? is whether she'll use a propane torch to light it ...

grantmichaels said:
Well, that's the thing ... the lump is in there, you don't exhaust it until after a bunch of cooks, really ... the ? is whether she'll use a propane torch to light it ...
She might be able to do that...her fingers might fall off if she had to touch charcoal. Have to do a little more research and then decide.

A Friend portion packed some charcoal in ziplock bags for his GF. She simply moves them around with a stick. He has a special tool to remove the fire ring etc, she also didn't want to get her hands black. But now he comes home to a cold beer and a lit Primo and his wife cooking up some things on the grill.

I own a Weber Kettle on charcoal. All though it's a good grill it can't beat a premium ceramic one. I can also understand the advantages of a gas grill, but I believe the taste of different types of charcoal is a unique experience.

Bak her a "woodoven" Apple pie (indirect on the grill, in a ceramic mould).. If she's into that stuff she'll make you buy a charcoal grill : -)

I have some good recipes for cake, pie and little sweet stuff. I'll have to translate the sizes, heat and text from outlandish to 'murrican, so I'll post them when I get back from the US.

It's in metric, but also cups and spoons. They are different from US ones.

But feel free to try a US recipe on Apple pie in the meanwhile. Just make it in a casserole dish. It's not pretty (you have to scoop it out) but it's damn good. If you do it in your Weber, spread a ring of coals around the kettle. Cook it slightly hotter than in a regular oven.

Pfeffer said:
It's in metric, but also cups and spoons. They are different from US ones.

But feel free to try a US recipe on Apple pie in the meanwhile. Just make it in a casserole dish. It's not pretty (you have to scoop it out) but it's damn good. If you do it in your Weber, spread a ring of coals around the kettle. Cook it slightly hotter than in a regular oven.

I think I'd cook that in the Akorn ... seems lump would be preferable, as well as the more stable temp ...

tctenten said:

I had the same dilemma about a month ago. I chose the Weber gas. As Chris said, there is something nice about pushing a button and walking inside. Plus, I have the WSM and a Smokey joe if I feel the need for using charcoal.

Back