smokers Big Green Egg

The smoke ring on my brisket was way thinner than the one on the bone-in shoulder I did a while back. Science?

The brisket took less cook time but I used almost as much fuel.

grantmichaels said:
I never saw anyone write anywhere that wagyu doesn't tend to form a deeply colored smoke ring, but it's my experience, and I saw Booma post some similar high-quality beef that also stayed peachy/tan like my handful of wagyu briskets ...

FWIW, the misinformation on BBQ forums rivals the stuff found on the homebrewing forums ...

I assume the older the practice, the more BS and bad practices have evolved ...

I would hazard to guess that part of that is actually the quality you are starting off with.. Highly marbled with fat is going to limit how much myoglobin  will be exposed to NO while at low temps.  It will most likely render away when you get higher up in the process but it would be a barrier while at the lower temps. 

IMG_7991.JPG

Hope to get a nice smoke ring on these.

I  need to get a different thermometer…I am going to guess that the temps where in the 900f-1000f+ range.  The stone was 650f and it took just over 3 minutes.  Round 2 will be tomorrow.  the dough was only fermented for a day and was still cold.  Tomorrow I will have Danielle take it out earlier and let it warm up a bit.  

Back