smokers Big Green Egg

Was just watching Booma break up a pork butt from the BGE, and there was a very limited pale-pink smoke ring a la most every time I've smoked in an insulated cooker (Akorn) ...

I'm sticking to my story that insulated grills don't allow for the full-on BBQ experience for limiting the amount of fuel burned ...

Think I'm crazy? ... PROVE IT! ... show me a 1/4" fuchsia smoke ring and describe the wood/strategy? ...

Additional Fact: I've achieved what I speak of in the Akorn, but I can't say *WHY* it happened on the few select times that it did! ... but I suspect it might have been related to the marinade (Noh marinade, if I recall) ...

That fits the narrative I'm pushing, since the kettle's are leaky and fuel-inefficient ...

Burn a lot of wood, get a lot of smokiness - for better or worse, depending on the quality of the smoke - and yes, resultant color ...

grantmichaels said:
Was just watching Booma break up a pork butt from the BGE, and there was a very limited pale-pink smoke ring a la most every time I've smoked in an insulated cooker (Akorn) ...

I'm sticking to my story that insulated grills don't allow for the full-on BBQ experience for limiting the amount of fuel burned ...

Think I'm crazy? ... PROVE IT! ... show me a 1/4" fuchsia smoke ring and describe the wood/strategy? ...

Additional Fact: I've achieved what I speak of in the Akorn, but I can't say *WHY* it happened on the few select times that it did! ... but I suspect it might have been related to the marinade (Noh marinade, if I recall) ...

Yawn!!!

I never saw anyone write anywhere that wagyu doesn't tend to form a deeply colored smoke ring, but it's my experience, and I saw Booma post some similar high-quality beef that also stayed peachy/tan like my handful of wagyu briskets ...

FWIW, the misinformation on BBQ forums rivals the stuff found on the homebrewing forums ...

I assume the older the practice, the more BS and bad practices have evolved ...

grantmichaels said:
FWIW, the misinformation on BBQ forums rivals the stuff found on the homebrewing forums ...

Basically it's groundhog day. Log in and you can jump into any of these various debates every day. I get it though, I mean, what else are you gonna talk about, not much changes in BBQ. Save for a few gadgets which would just be poo-pooed lol, better off here where we at least give them a chance. ;) That stovetop smoker thread was funny tho. :lol:

Hahaha ... that was the first thing I ever smoked ...

I still use the Cameron from time to time - for chicken for chicken salad ...

Put a pair of boneless breasts in there, burn a little mesquite or hickory for 2 minutes, and then bag up the breasts and drop 'em in the SV bath ...

Little bit of dust on top ...

483ecd6532219882ae4f5daaed1cbde7.jpg

Smoke ring is just something to talk about isn't it? It's a representation of how much smoke went over the food but not a representation of the quality of the food. Heck, I think most the smoke ring I see are from over-brining or over-seasoning. 

ColdSmoke said:
Smoke ring is just something to talk about isn't it? It's a representation of how much smoke went over the food but not a representation of the quality of the food. Heck, I think most the smoke ring I see are from over-brining or over-seasoning. 
True and not true, easy to get a smoke ring without brine or seasoning....it is science :) 

Back