smokers Big Green Egg

Just repeat the words "six thousand dollar smoker" a few times. That's retarded. The guy who's marketing them, himself, said that you're not paying all that extra cash for functionality. Just aesthetics. It probably smokes meat just fine and will last a while, for the extra four or five thousand dollars ( :rofl: ) more than a BGE, but save some money and just hire scovie to stick some tile on a BGE.
     Calling it "art" is employing the loosest definition of the word possible. C'mon it's just a shiny smoker. I guess if your main reason for buying it is to impress people at dinner parties, whatever. Maybe consider buying a few of those metallic colored glass balls you see in people's lawns and put them next to a normal smoker to save some cash. Now those are art!
     Imo, that UDS that RogueJim built recently blows this thing out of the water as far as aesthetics go. I'm of the opinion that smokers are a tool that should look "manly", not "pretty". I guess you can't make pizza on a UDS, but you could buy a kamado strictly for pizza and still save a few thousand dollars, while still impressing everyone.
     I guess it just comes down to conspicuous consumption. Things like solid gold bicycles and diamond encrusted toilets are difficult things to have a rational conversation about.

err... where did my pizza oven post go.

i fucked something up here.

anyway. again, for 6 grand you could actually build  a small outdoor pizza oven if you were so  inclined.

not one of the domed turtle shaped ones, but a tunnel shaped one. you can even do them yourselves... perlite insulation all that jazz. its an interesting thing the pizza oven... very complicated.

I picked up a BGE this weekend and I have a few questions.

What is the procedure for starting it up? I thought it was common sense but I think I screwed something up because the smoke was more of a camp fire smelling smoke than a bbq smoke. I also noticed that the entire grill had that same camp fire smell to it whereas my Traeger always had that good BBQ smell. 

This is what I did:

started some charcoal briskets in a chimney, dumped them on top of lump coal (brand new out of the bag from Home Depot), put more lump coal on top and let it go for like 15 minutes. I then put some soaked apple wood (kingsford brand again from Home Depot) in and shut it down until it got up to 200. I put the whole chicken on for three hours,..average temp was 250.  The chicken, while it looked beautiful, tasted like camp fire. I bit disappointing. I know chicken isn't the ideal smoking meat but they always turned out good on the Traeger. 

What do you think caused the camp fire smelling smoke? The brand new lump coal? Not letting it run longer before I started? The grill already smelled like camp fire?

Thanks!

ColdSmoke said:
started some charcoal briskets in a chimney, dumped them on top of lump coal (brand new out of the bag from Home Depot), put more lump coal on top and let it go for like 15 minutes. I then put some soaked apple wood (kingsford brand again from Home Depot) in and shut it down until it got up to 200. I put the whole chicken on for three hours,..average temp was 250.  The chicken, while it looked beautiful, tasted like camp fire. I bit disappointing. I know chicken isn't the ideal smoking meat but they always turned out good on the Traeger. 

What do you think caused the camp fire smelling smoke? The brand new lump coal? Not letting it run longer before I started? The grill already smelled like camp fire?

Thanks!

don't do that.

ColdSmoke said:

I put it in bold ...

"put more lump coal on top"

It came from that, taking into consideration how little fuel will be used for low-and-slow in an insulated cooker ...

You VERY LIKELY cooked on stanky fresh fuel the entire time ...

You will not burn very much fuel ...

A chicken can be cooked using the smallest basket of the one's I posted, and it'll still be half full when you sift out the ash after the cook's over ...

I smoked 9 hours in the Akorn this weekend using of the capacity of the fuel, and 1/3 of the time was 300F +/- 10F ...

It's the same reason one waits for the charcoal to ash-over before BBQ ... not just to control flare-up's, but to prevent that taste ...

Back