smokers Big Green Egg

Ashen said:
My buddy has 3 large BGE and a mini.  He says the real value in  it, is the lifetime warranty.  The dealers and company support the product 100%  and pretty much no questions asked.  I am guessing sledge hammer marks might get some , but anything happening from regular use taken care of without hassles. 
That would be something that would give the edge to the BGE vs other manufacturers. 

I have an XXL Egg myself.  Best tool ever.  It smokes great (I use a BBQ Guru wifi controller).  Holds perfect temps, gets nice and hot for grilling, and is also great for dehydrating meat.

non portable for a good reason... the smallest eggs weight like 300 lbs right?

idk what to think about that thing tbh... sounds amazing, but on such a classy looking grill, idk if i could stand having it on such an un classy stand if i could avoid it. i like the hard wood tables people make from IPE decking personally.

on the other hand if you live in an apartment or something with a small deck... you could just roll the thing in and out when ever you want.
Nulle said:
Thanks for posting that vid.
I'm the lucky owner of a Primo XL but I've never seen before how it's made

its a good reminder as to why they cost what they cost eh? lol

queequeg152 said:

idk what to think about that thing tbh... sounds amazing, but on such a classy looking grill, idk if i could stand having it on such an un classy stand if i could avoid it. i like the hard wood tables people make from IPE decking personally.

on the other hand if you live in an apartment or something with a small deck... you could just roll the thing in and out when ever you want.

I just built an IPE deck. Turned out amazing...If I get a kamado style grill, I may find a way to build in a table for it 

ColdSmoke said:

I just built an IPE deck. Turned out amazing...If I get a kamado style grill, I may find a way to build in a table for it 

you saved a few boards then i take it?

IPE is a wonderful material... im curious though if you looked at other tropical species?  garapa etc.?

queequeg152 said:

Me and a buddy or two can lift my XXL.  We take it to tail gating at the 49er games.  Something like the wheeled one is amazing.

ColdSmoke said:
I considered everything...IPE was available and looks the best in my opinion. 
ah. i like the properties of IPE, but NOT the look myself. too dark, though i understand IPE can come in lighter tones.

im looking to buy like 9 boards of cumaru or garapa for a shower bench which is why i asked.

I kind of like the look... I like to think it was milled from the bloody hands of Brazilian slaves.

image_zpsbrqf2lhc.jpeg

ColdSmoke said:
I kind of like the look... I like to think it was milled from the bloody hands of Brazilian slaves.

image_zpsbrqf2lhc.jpeg
 very nice.  yea it looks amazing, i guess i should clarify... im saying for a shower i think the garapa would look better.

tbh for a deck? the cost of these woods being what they are, i would let the cost determine what tropical wood i used. they all look amazing and last a very long time.

those bloody slaves did a damn good job milling that lumber =).
fiveohmike said:

Me and a buddy or two can lift my XXL.  We take it to tail gating at the 49er games.  Something like the wheeled one is amazing.

true! would suck if you got rear ended on the way though.

I can say that my BGE is everything I wished for and more.  One of the best purchases I have ever made.  I am still learning temperature control, like how much fuel for different things, but it is a wonderfully tasty adventure.  Everything I have cooked on it has been terrific.  I am a believer and would recommend it to anyone!  It was fun re-reading this thread and all the stuff I said last year.  Turns out I did everything I said I was going to, I did buy a Weber gas grill before I bought the Egg.  Now it is pretty much a $600 rack to set my Egg stuff on while I grill.  I will still use it to make hot dogs or whatever, but so far I have not used it since I bought the Egg.

JayT said:
I can say that my BGE is everything I wished for and more.  One of the best purchases I have ever made.  I am still learning temperature control, like how much fuel for different things, but it is a wonderfully tasty adventure.  Everything I have cooked on it has been terrific.  I am a believer and would recommend it to anyone!  It was fun re-reading this thread and all the stuff I said last year.  Turns out I did everything I said I was going to, I did buy a Weber gas grill before I bought the Egg.  Now it is pretty much a $600 rack to set my Egg stuff on while I grill.  I will still use it to make hot dogs or whatever, but so far I have not used it since I bought the Egg.

This.  So much this.  I went through the phase of getting an expensive infrared grill before I found the egg.  It sat for so long after purchasing it.  One thing I will recommend that really help extend the charcoal time and makes cooking on the egg much easier:

The BBQGuru:

https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav

I have used both the DigiQ (back when it was a larger rectangle) and now have the CyberQ so I can do some neat tricks with the internet.  But it comes with a blower so you can set temperatures (especially for smoking food overnight, set alarms, set ramp times and a shit ton more.

Back