• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bih & bhut questions

it seems like there are either too many names for the same pepper or too many peppers that are similarly named.... who wants to clear it up for me, or continue the confusion?

1.) Bih Jolokia & Bhut Jolokia - same or different?
2.) Naga Morich & Dorset Naga - same or different?
3.) Naga Jalokia - WTF!!!!! is it one of the others, its own, or a mixture?

any other pepper names i left out of this grouping that are the same or so similar as to cause confusion?

thanks in advanced...maybe...:oops:

I'm still keeping my statement as they are all the same pepper until dna annalisis is done on them. The only slight differance is the Naga Morich anthough I've had Naga's look like Jolokia before...so like I said, dna annalysis needs to be done.

this thread is about a "Naga Jolikia" with pictures that I got from a shop owner when I was in Key West this past May. I pointedly asked him about the pepper and the name and he said one of his customers grew it and brought them in. I have not been able to verify any of the information but I can tell you, this SOB was atomic...just like the Naga Morich & Dorset Naga. I haven't tasted the Bhuts yet but it wont be more than a week or two...the Bihs I got off fleabay are extreme but don't have the typical pod shape...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=6060&highlight=key+west

I have read that there are differences on how many peppers are produced at each node for each of the different "holy quintity" (as I call them, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolikia, Naga Morich, Dorset Naga, & Naga Jolokia (chinense))...

There is a lot of differing opinions on this and it will be another year before I can answer that question for myself since I only have Bhut Jolokia, Dorset Naga, and Naga Morich this year but next year I have all 5 varieties to plant...

So far this year, the Naga Morich produced early and haven't set fruit since the hot weather hit back in July...they are rootbound and I think that is the reason for them not producing any more...my Bhut Jolokias were severely sunscalded, then the hot weather came and now they have a few nice peppers on them....the Dorsets were in the same boat as the Bhuts with sunscald and heat but they have a lot of peppers on them now...

sorry to ramble..

I have only grown a Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich and even though they have similiar taste and aroma, the Bhut is a full size pepper where as the Naga is a scaled down version. I do think Bih/Bhut are the same just Frontal Agritech originated the Bih, and the Morich/Dorset are also the same just the seed originated in Dorset. No help on the Naga Jolokia except I thought that was the PC-1 Indian pepper.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I have only grown a Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich and even though they have similiar taste and aroma, the Bhut is a full size pepper where as the Naga is a scaled down version. I do think Bih/Bhut are the same just Frontal Agritech originated the Bih, and the Morich/Dorset are also the same just the seed originated in Dorset. No help on the Naga Jolokia except I thought that was the PC-1 Indian pepper.

The Naga Jolokia is the Indian PC-1 as far as i am aware. not all that hot but a nice flavour, and great producer.

I was once told that the Bhut and Bih are basically the same plant but grown in different areas of India. I may be way off but that was always my interpretation. If someone is selling the Bih and the Bhut separately then usually the bih will have slightly smaller fruit from what i have been told.

alright so everyone is getting the same mixed answers im getting; the only one im certain on are the peppers from NMSU, and im certain they are bhut jolokia

After reading about the Naga/Jolokia pepper(s) in many articles from many countries, I've come to the conclusion that the names are used differently by all kinds of people. One Indian site I was on said clearly that they were all the same pepper, but only called different names by the various regions in India.

It seems that if you ask twenty people about them, you'll get twenty different answers.

Until literal genetic testing is performed on ALL of them, we'll never have the answer. Because of this species impact on the hot pepper industry, I believe that the testing may only be a year or two from happening.

Until then, anyone wanna try my NagaMorichJolokiaDorsetbhutbinbih Pepper? It's a hot sucker!

Sid03SVT said:
alright so everyone is getting the same mixed answers im getting; the only one im certain on are the peppers from NMSU, and im certain they are bhut jolokia

I will second this and agree with IGG.

Hey Natgreenmeds, I would love to try one of those peppers :P hahaha.

Yeah, I do agree that the DNA testing needs to be done, they may be the same pepper. Here's what I think till then,
1.Bhut & Bih Jolokia -Same chile
2. NagaMorich & Dorset Naga- The Morich is the smaller version of the Bhut with slightly different skin and pod shape.The Dorset is a "selected" morich chile that's just slightly bigger.
3.Naga Jolokia- Is the PC-1 Tezpur Indian pepper that is an Annuum (at least the one's I got). I think it was some one that stuck the two names together to get noticed? Naga and Jolokia. I think all the C.Chinense versions grew in and around different parts of India, Bangladesh ect. So the names are different by the people that live there and grow them.

Just my 2 cents :D

Another naga thread...lol Right Bih/Bhutt Jolokia same and no frontal agritech did not invent/get/or create it.As it was there already the Dorset naga is a slight variation on Naga morich,The original seed for the Dorset came from someone in the bangladesh community in the u.k who passed the seed on and the dorset was breed from that,all the strains if you where come from north east india/north bangladesh.The bih/bhutt are larger peppers than the Dorset or naga morich and the bih strain has more mottled/pitted skin than the other plants.
There is also many new strains Chocolate Jolokia,Khorika being to and a number of bih strains,also purple jolokia,you will so a number of new strains in 09 to confuse the matter further theres a nice article that shows an example of all the plants and only noticed a difference in size and yield,Pc-1 was nothing to do with the above plants and released simply to make money out of and is nothing to do with the naga/jolokia family.:P

I can tell you about some of my personal seed sources.
Bhut Jolokia - NMSU
Bih Jolokia - Frontal Agritech
Naga Morich - Nagaseeds
Naga - Bangladesh
Raja Mirch - India

mmm... from what *I've* seen, Bhut bit longer than all, Bih fat and short, Naga Morich relatively smooth skin and small, Naga not as long as Bhut, but long... Raja Mirch is chubby like Bih. all taste similar, but not the same. some are sharp in flavor and some are mild with slight bitterness. the actual plants grow differently, as some are poor of fruits and some have hunderds all at once.
They're all VERY similar, but different. just like a Scotch Bonnet in one place is different than elsewhere.

Omri said:
I can tell you about some of my personal seed sources.
Bhut Jolokia - NMSU
Bih Jolokia - Frontal Agritech
Naga Morich - Nagaseeds
Naga - Bangladesh
Raja Mirch - India

mmm... from what *I've* seen, Bhut bit longer than all, Bih fat and short, Naga Morich relatively smooth skin and small, Naga not as long as Bhut, but long... Raja Mirch is chubby like Bih. all taste similar, but not the same. some are sharp in flavor and some are mild with slight bitterness. the actual plants grow differently, as some are poor of fruits and some have hunderds all at once.
They're all VERY similar, but different. just like a Scotch Bonnet in one place is different than elsewhere.

Good observations my friend and you have it one all Similar but differnt i tried the bih assam and Grulan strains few weeks back and they where slightly differnt in taste but not a great deal..But cultivation and hybridization over time yields many differnt plants than its original progeny :P

Not trying to start an argument here but I know the PC1 is called the Naga Jolokia and that is an annuum species, but there is also a chinense variety that is being sold as the Naga Jolokia...

right, wrong, or indifferent, the Naga Jolokia I have is absolute fire...I sent a piece to someone, maybe it was Chris, that said it hurt him when he ate it...

Agreed its hot A.J but it was just a hot indian pepper..And there are many..It got called naga or jolokia just to join the Dorset/Morich/Bih/Bhutt gravey train to make money but not one of that family ;)

The Khorika Jolokia is the same an annuum again..But taste well we see but i no what you mean,but i thought pc1 had heat but tasted like c```p but just my taste i think Apache pepper are not nice either ;)

R.B i gave my next door Neighbour my Apache plants and have been feeling bad about it since..I did add it was a stuffing pepper and needed spicing up :lol:

I gave my brother 3 of them :lol: I think he guessed that they weren't going to be the best as he said with a wink that he was going to join a chilli forum and call himself 'Apacheman'.

I have the impression that it is all about good information and bad information and about the various copyright laws of the various pepper growing countries that produce a Babylonian confusion.

Back