• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Biltong

Interesting.

GM, if you want to make this, you better have a dehydrator.

You could certainly make it inside (in South Florida) IF you have a dedicated dehumidifier for the room, or you run your A/C cold and throw in a box fan for good measure.

Either way, Danielle would hate you for hanging your meat all over the house!

If you don't have a dehydrator already, get one.

Yeah, Danielle would freak the fuck out if I hung raw meat up in the house ... no doubt!

We have a pair of the basic, white Nesco's dehydrators from growing peppers, though ...

Easy enough to use all of tray w/ a single unit up top ...

It probably has a setting for heatless fan blowing, but I haven't looked at them for a good while ...

I once made jerky in them, but it was kind of BS mixing ground beef and pink salt and shit and squirting it through that injector gun thingy ...

It's been 4 days since hanging the Biltong to dry.

20150120_174209.jpg

Taste testing this lot has proven that my steps to reduce the saltiness worked perfectly. In fact, next time I think I'll be able to back off on the sugar a bit as there is a noticeable sweetness to this lot. Not unpleasant, just a little sweet.

Flavor is much stronger too. I packed the spice rub on thicker this time and also marinated the meat before salting and the result is great. 

Heat level for the hot batch is spot on. You know you've added adequate heat when a taste tester spits a piece out after 3 seconds.  :rofl:

SR.

The main difference between Biltong and Jerky is the thickness of the cut - That biltong looks wafer thin (Jerky-like). Here are some random pics of SA made Biltong: 

Biltong.jpg

biltong_slice.jpg

Also note the seasoning. The meat is what you want to be tasting, the preservatives are only meant to compliment, not dominate the palate.

/2c

Back