• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Black Beans

Black bean soup. Love the stuff. A little crème fraiche, pico, and cilantro on top.

For added goodness, and yes this is good, andouille in it (or chorizo to keep it Latin but andouille is better).

Cook the andouille then dice. Nice little bits in the soup. Trus me brah.

Serve with Cuban toast for dipping.

Two Cuban ways to do it up right...

Black beans slow cooked on the stove with a ham hock, some onion and a clove or two of garlic. Salt to taste. Serve over white rice.

The more popular is called Moros y Cristianos. Black beans cooked with method above, but the rice is thrown into the pot to cook with the beans. It's awesome with some garlic butter poured over it and some mojo drizzled on and mixed.

Neither are traditionally "hot". Habaneros would work well. Jalapenos maybe not so much, unless they were in a fresh Pico de Gallo and used as a topping, but this doesn't normally occur in Cuban cooking.

This is the Three Guys from Miami recipe for Moros y Cristianos

1 & 1/2 cups black beans, dried
1/4 cup olive oil for sautéing
2 & 1/2 cups onion, diced
2 & 1/2 cups green pepper, seeded and diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
3 teaspoons cumin, ground
1 teaspoon oregano
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 &1/2 cups chicken stock
3 cups long grain white rice

I think the dried beans need to be soaked in water for 24 hours before cooking. Also, I think they go a bit overboard with including the tomato paste. Black pepper can be eliminated, too. Chicken stock bascially replaces the ham hock. (The ham hock method is WAY better.) And all the Moros y Cristianos I've seen have NEVER included green peppers.

Get your black beans on!

i gotto try that moros y cristianos recipe :)

btw gallo pinto is the same thing pretty much and its also known as "casado" in some countries.

Do it up Chili Fan, and you're right "gallo pinto" is pretty much the same thing, however, "casado" [to me] is a dish/plate that includes gallo pinto among other things. casamiento ? might be what you were thinking?

Beans don't need to soak, you just have to cook them a bit longer. Here's one of my favs:

Half pound dry black beans
Thick Bacon, chopped, about a cup (could use ham for this)
More Bacon, for garnish, at least 4 slices
One onion, roughly chopped
Garlic cloves, minced
Chile peppers to taste, seeded and sliced
Smoked sea salt to taste
Cumin
Tequila
Cilantro, chopped

Wash the beans, then put into a dutch oven (do not soak overnight.) Cover with 5 cups of water, and remove any beans that float. Add the cup of chopped bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer 2 hours. Periodically stir the beans, and if the water gets too low, add some. (The water should completely cover the beans at all times.)

Fry the rest of the bacon in a skillet. Remove the bacon once well-brown (should easily crumble.) Drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add the onion and fry until golden. Add the chiles and garlic, and continue frying until the onion is nicely caramelized. Stir this into the beans, then add the cumin and smoked sea salt. Let simmer at least another half hour, then cool and refrigerate overnight to let the flavors blend together. Heat beans slowly, then stir in cilantro and tequila shortly before serving. Serve in bowls topped with crumbled bacon.

most of the casado i ate in costarica/nicaragua had few ingredients. rice, beans and with luck a fried banana :) maybe in the bigger cities the servings are more plentyfull with ingredients, but i hardly spent time in the capital. :)

I would trust Sum's Cuban recipe. Just make sure to toast some Cuban bread and pat it with sweet cream butter.

I had refried black beans and chipotle peppers on soft tortillas for lunch today.

Yum Yum Mucho Good Tonight! :dance:

51GtMLKbY2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

chipotle_peppers.jpg

soft_tortilla.png

Welcome to the forum, La Costena representative :lol:

I LOVE black bean soup with the creme fraiche and cilantro. We also like to use black beans in chili instead of reds. And I just made some killer baked beans with pinto and black beans.

When cooking a large amount of beans, I like to use a pressure cooker.
1 gallon dry beans
2 gallons water
a little salt and about 3/4 cup of chili powder, cumin, whatever other seasonings...

Pressure cooker for 1 hour after reaching 10psi. Done Deal~

Sum, your recipe sounds really good.

OH! and I have a really simple Black Bean Salsa recipe around here somewhere.... brb...

edit- We've done this Black Bean and Corn Salsa recipe a couple times at my son's school The kids really like it, and I've heard things afterwards like "I didn't like salsa before, but now I like it" And one boy wanted his mom to make the recipe (they all took home copies of the recipe) to take to their family Christmas dinner.

Back