• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blisters 2017 LED Coco grow

After some contemplation on doing a glog this year I've decided to run at least one more. I've scaled back the variety of peppers again and have limited myself to three:

- P. Dreadie Select bonnet - courtesy of Malarky

- Bhut Orange Copenhagen (BOC) - courtesy of Malarky

- Red Jolokia that I grew last year. This one had a very strong scorpion shape and great heat. It had pools of oil in it as well. Since I still have two 1 gallon ziploc bags of dried Red Jolokia peppers I figured I couple experiment a little.

I'm sticking with Coco coir again since I've been having such good luck with it over the last few years. I've still got a 5kg block and a bit of General Hydroponics CocoTek. It's affordable and provides a great root zone medium with little prep.

Starting seeds

I'm trying something a little different this year. I've soaked the seeds in a weak Chamomile tea solution for 24 hours.

f59a085dc966c924136c1d5318647eea.jpg

I've also found some small humidity domes. I've filled some plastic shot glass sized cups with coco and put seeds in them to see how they do in terms of germination.

7f8df59b7db8360815148813156c1f13.jpg

Coco coir prep

247d284f2f2be3010acec688a2d349e5.jpg

Like previous years I will expand the Coco with a mild mixture of CALiMAGic mixed at a ratio of 5ml per 1L of reverse osmosis water.

Once the Coco has had a bit of time to dry, I like to run the coir through a metal mesh strainer so I can separate the fine pith from the coarse chunks.

The strainer is a cheap dollar store version. I put a handful or so of the coco into the strainer and bang it against the palm of my other hand until I'm happy with the amount of pith that's been removed.

cf9d9a5b045a754b14131a2d452e6cff.jpg

Sifted coir. Fine pith on the top, chunky coir on the bottom.

6e7679aa9610ad769fed4c188c4d9195.jpg

I've found that my plants do better when I remove most of the fine pith. The pots dry out quicker which allows me to water more often and replenish the nutrients. When I leave the pith in the coir I've noticed that the pots stay wet too long and I end up with a green mould/slime growing on the surface.

Below is a typical example of the roots produced with Coco. This was a chili plant I grew in 2016.

1797a96611cc60b6a405baf10373b3a0.jpg

Nutrients

11f4109fa2e3ea03193694145c660cf0.jpg

Although I have other nutrients left over from previous years, I keep coming back to General Hydroponics Flora series. I use GreatfulH3AD's formula of:

- 4L Reverse Osmosis water
- 6ml FloraMicro
- 9ml FloraBloom

This basic formula gives me ~700ppm and has proven itself to be more than adequate for the full life cycle of chili plants.

The only changes I've made to the basic formula is to include the addition of Armor Si, CALiMAGic and Superthrive. I'll have to edit this post for the exact mixtures.

Armor Si

I started adding this last year and found a rather happy coincidence. Not only does it add silica to the plant, but it also doubles as a means to adjust the PH of my nutrient solution. It's a two-fer if you will.

CALiMAGic

I've been adding small amounts of this to my nutrient solution, though I'm not convinced that it's entirely necessary. At the same time I haven't found that it hurts given the fact that hot and super hot peppers tend to like more calcium than most plants.

Superthrive

I've just started adding this to my nutrient solution last year. There is a large body of evidence showing the benefits of Superthrive so I figured I'd give it a shot since I found some. I can't say whether it helped or hurt, but I did have my best year last year.

Root Pouch

I also tried fabric pots last year. I picked up some 3 gallon Root Pouch pots after doing a lot of reading on the 420 sites. They didn't disappoint when it came to the growth department. I did noticed that I had to water more. A lot more. Fabric pots dry out fast, especially when there's a wind. The good side is that I get to water more and replenish the nutrients more frequently. I also noticed that I didn't have the thick roots that wrap the plastic pots. There were more of the fine roots.

There seem to be some nice benefits with the fabric pots, but getting the plant out of them is definitely more of a pain in the butt.

Thanks for reading and I hope to update this a bit more regularly than last years grow.

Neil

stickman said:
Very nice Neil! I think you'll like the BOC pods. They've got a good fruity taste and plenty of heat.
Thanks Rick! I've seen a few videos on the BOC's and it definitely looks like a good one. I've got a few more started as well. Seems like the coco and peat pucks are the best way for me to get things going. I haven't had all that much luck with the coco in a cup. Thinking this is about my best bet for germination.

Just watered these. I have 2 more BOC popping in coir.

a763bab27b37bffa51994314356cef92.jpg

I also have one more Chocolate Nagabrain popping in peat.

83fbb002fbf0cdbfbe4955ec781e580d.jpg

Neil

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Blister said:
Thanks Rick! I've seen a few videos on the BOC's and it definitely looks like a good one. I've got a few more started as well. Seems like the coco and peat pucks are the best way for me to get things going. I haven't had all that much luck with the coco in a cup. Thinking this is about my best bet for germination.

Just watered these. I have 2 more BOC popping in coir.

a763bab27b37bffa51994314356cef92.jpg

I also have one more Chocolate Nagabrain popping in peat.

83fbb002fbf0cdbfbe4955ec781e580d.jpg

Neil

Nice to see the hooks Neil! I think the coco is a little too coarse for starting seeds, but mixing it with the peat moss seems to provide a more consistent growing environment. I think the long fibers in the coco kind of hold the mix together and hold onto the seed coats, making it easier for the seedlings to pull the cotys out. Cheers!

I tend to agree with the coco being too coarse. I tried to mix a bit of the fine pith in with it all, but the only time things seem to start was after I put the peat plugs and the coir plugs into the dome and really raised the humidity. Even then I only had a few seeds sprout. I think I'll stick to the plugs from now on.

Neil

I was in the process of moving a few BOC's and a Chocolate Nagabrain from plugs to coarse coir when I noticed a cup with a P. Dreadie seedling in it. I had given up on it thinking that it failed to fire. I put it up on the shelf and let it be. It's leggy, but I replanted it a bit deeper. I figure it fought is way this far I may as well give it a chance.

97f511eae13c96d217a771c0ec638dd0.jpg

Neil

Potted up a few plants the other day. It's sooner than I'd normally do it, but I'm going away for a few days and wanted to make sure that they'd last without drying up and dying on me.

Sorry for the blurry pics.

P. DREADIE Select

db07a656580892379ad0936303e23fbb.jpg

fc25f7119ab9d515549064b844e44997.jpg

24d26f0f802b35bd63ee358d9b1794ce.jpg

BOC

8311e016cedc44df3eec767d823aefba.jpg

Also did a Red Bhut, but didn't take a picture.

Neil

stickman said:
Very nice Neil! I think you'll like the BOC pods. They've got a good fruity taste and plenty of heat.
I agree^. I grew BOC last year and it was probably the hottest orange pod I've tried. Fantastic flavor, too! I'm growing them again this year.

I'm absolutely blown away, once again, by your root growth. Your plants look absolutely amazing, Neil! Very strong and sturdy. Great job!

-Adam

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm always amazed at the growth rate and the roots that coco and nutrients produce. I'm trying a few different things this year, but still hoping to replicate the production I got last year. Fingers crossed for a hot season again!

Neil

Blister said:
Well that didn't take long. Roots already poking out the bottom of a couple of P. Dreadie Select.

47aa83374adc8c8901fd961f98922b43.jpg

cd11bf720b7c37d829dd1ecd91e35c23.jpg

Neil

I definitely like that! Nice fat roots and lots of root hairs... Those plants are gonna be Beasts! Drive on Neil! :metal:

I figured that it was time for an update. I've added GH Grow and GH Damond Nectar to my list of nutrients and have been using a modified formula as calculated by General Hydroponics. So far the results have been positive. I've noticed that there is a difference in growth between GreatfulH3AD's formula and the one that GH recommends when it comes to my plants. The root growth is considerably better with H3AD's formula, however the plant leaves seem to be considerably flatter and not as deep of a green with the modified GH formula. The two formulas are

GreatfulH3AD basic formula
4L RO water
6ml Flora Micro
9ml Flora Bloom
5 drops SuperThrive

I had also been adding a bit of CALiMAGic and Armor Si to the mixture and it would adjust itself to a pH of 5.7. This would give me a little better than ~700 ppm.

General Hydroponics modified formula

4L RO water
5ml Flora Micro
5ml Flora Grow
2.5ml Flora Bloom
1ml Armor Si
5ml Diamond Nectar
2.5ml CALiMAGic
5 drops SuperThrive

This mixture gives me right around ~700ppm and the pH adjusts itself to 5.8.

Enough of the technical Mumbo jumbo! On to the pictures

Various seedlings. BOC, Chocolate Nagabrain's

40a1731360fe0bd5177b5858f7d8545a.jpg

This is some kind of a crazy cross on a BOC. Not sure what it's crossed with, but it's interesting and I'm going to grow it out to see what it produces.

a8b99bf773672699f52a45162dc6b8d7.jpg

ff6226bdcbd185f5712ec401990114c7.jpg

The next 3 are some of my P. Dreadie's. Like the MoA's they seem to be a rather stout plant with leaves that cover the top of the pot.

6c5f9255012fa38752433af677473e29.jpg

c715939231cc9d20026b042162eb8a7a.jpg

The stem of one of my P. Dreadie's. I'm not sure if it's the LED, the coco, or a combination of the two that makes the plants grow thick stems. I don't do anything special. I don't even have a fan on them. I just water when they need it and leave them alone.

3a9a71ef124ee6e7e9f0c565875a8d30.jpg

A BOC and a Red Bhut I had grown from last year. It's seed from a plant that had crossed between a Bhut and a Scorpion. It had great heat and I'm hoping that it'll produce similar pods this year.

197e93eaac0443db26bf12d5d1aa291e.jpg

1b5e42ecad197e276a2b08c8fc87987a.jpg

A couple more P. Dreadie's

147798ceeb9a9180aae45a1d84898642.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Neil

Back