• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Blorvak's Greenhorn 2014 - End of Season Wrap Up!

First off, Happy Holidays everyone! Now that I have a little time, I thought I'd start a glog.

The backstory:  My last season sucked. Straight up. 10 plants. Averaged 1 pod a plant.

Then I found this place.

THEN I had to wait months to put all the tips I found to work. Suffice to say, I'm rearing to get going!

Hope I don't mess it up!

Hey all! This is my rookie blog, and here is my growlist:

C. Chinense
  • Orange Habanero (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Datil (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Trinidad Cola Bean (cmpman1974)
  • Trinidad Gold Bean (cmpman1974)
  • Mako akokɔsrade (Pepper Lover)
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Brown (Pepper Lover)
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Red (Pepper Lover)
C. Baccatum
  • Aji Habanero (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Aji Limon (Pepper Lover)
C. Pubescens

• Yellow Rocoto (cmpman1974)
  • Manzana, yellow (Harvested from store bought pod)

C. Annuum
  • Goat's Weed (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Pequin (Pepper Lover)
  • Fish pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Joe E. Parker Pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Tunisian Baklouti Pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Hungarian Hot Cherry (Pepper Lover)
  • Cracked Jalapeno (Pepper Lover)
  • Sucette de Provence (Trade Wind Seeds)
I have only a handful of posts, and already people have been more than generous. THP is a friendly place!

A few more days have passed, and the germination has plateaued at 24/50. Looks like the cut off point between the easygoing and stubborn seeds has arrived.

Removed the humidity dome today, and am monitoring the moisture for the little guys. I started to see some spots of algae on top of the rapid rooters, and the ones in the corners are too wet. Will get a fan set up in the next few days.

So, now it's a waiting game. Guess I'll plant more seeds!

c0ZOaYxl.jpg

Wanted to try some Jiffy pellets with the fluffing techniques I've seen on other glogs. Perfect opportunity to plant some White Bullet Habanero seeds Cone9 generously sent me. Thanks again!

Working the Jiffy pellets as GaGrowhead suggested
really made a difference, I think.  I have had much
better sucess with them following his lead.

Good luck with that!

Alright, almost at the 2 week mark, and here's the standings

Variety - Seeds Germinated/ Seed planted:
  • Aji Limon: 2/3
  • Aji Habanero: 2/3
  • CGN 21500 3/4
  • Datil: 2/3
  • Mako akokɔsrade: 4/4
  • Orange Habanenro: 2/3
  • Pequin: 0/4
  • Trinidad Bean, Cola: 2/4
  • Trinidad Bean, Gold: 3/4
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Brown: 1/3
  • Trinidad Scotch Bonnet, Red: 3/3
  • Yellow Manzano: 0/6
  • Yellow Rocoto: 5/6
The good news: no helmet heads! Only two didn't pop, and that's the Pequin, and Manzano seeds harvested from a Safeway pod.

Germination is just over 50%, which I'd like to improve. And my first impression of the Rapid Rooters is that they're easy to use, but hard to to keep uniformly hydrated.

For example, the corner one here is much wetter than it's neighbors:
wDQJwcEl.jpg

I've been constantly tinkering with the water. Any consensus as to how much water to add to a standard tray like this? The instructions say 1/4 from the bottom, but that's kinda hard to eyeball.

Even at this tiny size, this guy has a root coming out of the bottom of the tray:

qALd2VAl.jpg

Now... maybe some potting this weekend?

So, no potting after all. A few more seeds popped! After so many started so early, I figured that the rest were toast. Another lesson learned.

Going to give them another week, then transfer to knockoff Solo cups. Picked up a bag of Light Warrior today, so I'm ready.

Stragglers keep on poking up. I'm at 62% germination, but I now have one of every variety sprouted! Now if I can get everyone in the ground, I'll have achieved one of my big goals for the year.

Most of the little guys have tiny true leaves now, and look like they want bigger shoes. It's a crazy week, but I'm going to try and squeeze in re-pot. I'll be sure to post pics if I do.

So, I've obviously underestimated the space needed to house the 63% that germinated:
zw8cd0Al.jpg

And here's a humble Orange Hab, 12 days old:
MVCNofyl.jpg

Gonna have to get real about culling the underperformers to make space for round 2. That, and add more space!

Notes to future self:  17 solo cups can fit in the seedling tray, and 26 can fit comfortably in the growing area.

I have 35 in there now :P

Culled my first two today. One Brown Scotch Bonnet, and my sole Manzano sprout from a store bought pod. They hooked, but never had the gumption to get past that. Pulled the rapid rooters out of the fake Solo cups and plopped two White Bullet Habs in their place. So I didn't make space, but successfully put off making more culling decisions. Win!

Also started to cycle the lights. 16 on/ 8 off.

And here's one of my more developed seedlings. An Aji Limon, 16 days old:

MZHrd2Jl.jpg

Forming some opinions about the Rapid Rooters. Not sure if they're for me. They seem to dry out at a different rate from the Light Warrior I planted them in, causing them to pull away from the soil. Not really digging it.

So, I had some issues with lighting in the beginning. I'd read you want the lights 2-3 inches away, but this caused quite a bit of purple leaves. Moved the lights back up, and new growth is looking better, so hopefully I caught it in time. And some guys look a bit pale. Like this Aji Habanero (18 days old):

fE2G8Kzl.jpg

But I've decided I'm not going to worry about it. Gonna stop thinking about if they have too much water/not enough water/not enough nutrients/nutrient burn...

Gotta let it ride.

OKGrowin said:
yeah i do mine directly into the cups, works good. Yours are looking good looks like you'll need another shelf!
Thanks! And thanks for stopping by!

Already planning shelf #2. Gonna need it for the next round of germination. Pondering the lighting situation.

Thus far I've been worried about over watering the seedlings, but observation leads me to believe that Rapid Rooters and the Light Warrior drain very well. I've stepped up watering, and it looks like the plants are starting to grow faster. Think I may have been keeping them too thirsty.

Noticed that many folks around the glogs are growing CGN 21500. Are yours purple, like mine? CGN 21500, 18 days old:

3UD7Tc3l.jpg

Devv said:
Got them babies popping!

It just get's better from here on in.

Good luck this season!
Thanks! Been reading your glog... if I can get some plants that look like yours, I'll consider the season a raging success.

Slow and steady is the name of the game. At least the seedlings are starting to looks like little plants!

Aji Habanero, 27 days old. Looking a bit yellow, but otherwise happy:

CmN4rr3l.jpg

It's sibling is looking pretty sickly. Dunno if it's gonna make it:

pvR4CzEl.jpg

In more healthy news, a Trinidad Gold Bean, 26 days old:

sMXXVr7l.jpg

And a Mako akokɔsrade sporting some cool, speckled coloring, 26 days old:

xdiHr7fl.jpg

Up next, Annuum Planting Day. Some people know it better as Superbowl Sunday. :P

Round two is officially underway!

C. Annuums:
  • Goat's Weed (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Fish Pepper (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Sucette de Provence (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Tunisian Baklouti (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Joe E Parker (Trade Wind Seeds)
  • Purple Cayenne (Cone9)
  • Black Hungarian (Cone9)
x6YGtYQl.jpg

Went with a couple types of peat pellets to see how I like them. Also started some Red Russian Kale, Swiss Chard, and Okra. Not many stores carry okra around here, and this one is supposedly a short season variety. Interested to see how it grows in the NW.

As I was sowing, I my wife asked "Why are you planting so many peppers?" followed by "Do we have room for all these?"

I gave an emphatic "Yes!".

So, we had one weekend of mild weather... I made plans to build raised beds this coming weekend, and the cold returns with a vengeance! Snow, freezing rain, you name it, it's in the forecast.

The worst part is the high winds. I've been running around my old house plugging up drafts.

Had to move the germination station off of the windowsill, because the thermostat was vainly trying to keep it in the 60's. In the new location, we're at low 70's. Not ideal, but hopefully it will do until this clears up in the next 5 days.

Speaking of which, I have hooks at 3 days! Kale and chard, so they don't really count do they?

Had to take away my heating pad from my grow room, and the area is keeping at 72 with the lights on. Might be a bit chilly during the 8 hour off cycle, but the plants aren't looking too bad.

Here's a CGN21500, 28 days old:

umKUyhsl.jpg

And, I'm proud of this guy. My sole Trinidad Red Scotch Bonnet started out sad. It's first pair of true leaves turned yellow, curled, and fried at the end. Didn't give up on it, and here it is at 31 days:

5RHqLPUl.jpg

This is my first year of growing anything from seed indoors, and I have to say, non-Capsicums are much easier to germ!

Chard, kale, and okra:

6LrsLDal.jpg

But it's fine if the annuums take a few more days. Waiting on a cheap LED bulb from eBay to expand the grow room, and see what kind of results I can get.

Looks like you're off to a very solid start! I predict a much better year for you already! I get the same question... "why so many peppers? Will we have room for anything else?" haha. It's a dangerous addiction. Best of luck going forward!

Back