• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Blues, Booze & BBQ

Its that time again. I was gonna' break out he smoker yesterday but alas, it rained hard all day. S'kay as we needed the h2o in a big way. Next week I'm droppin' the hammer rain or shine. I'll leave it teh y'all to choose what I do for the smoke...

Options are:

1. Brisket

2. Pork Shoulder

3. Beef ribs

4. Babybacks

5. Smoked PuPu's...poppers, moinks & bloomin' onion

What's it gonna be y'all?
Can I say 6, All of the Above?

Beef or baby back? Why no spare ribs? Them's better!

I'm torn on the ribs THP. Love babybacks but this is Texas after all. Don't wanna' get lynched by the neighbors for not doing beef. Don't reckon I can make an honest decision without cracking more than a few hoskies before hand.

Fine, fine.... beef AND pork. BBLTs.

Smoked brisket and crisp bacon (criss-crossed), ripe tomatoes, lettuce, tomato, pickled jalapenos... on white bread, mayo on top slice, BBQ sauce on bottom slice. It da bomb trus may.

I loves me some spares LDHS and have gotten pretty durn guuud at it but beef ribs make me their bitch everytime.

I am SO overdue on brisket I cant wait till it warms up a bit !

But I definitly wanna hit a Tri-Tip like Chris Brown

mrs. blues birfday on Sunday. She's not liking to be liking any 'que. Any other woman and I might have to killer her. Anywhooo, I just can't eat a big Fred Flinstone side of beef ribs or even a whole brisket flat. Last time I did a big brisky it turned out great and vac packed the leftovers. To say the least they were and crumbly after thawing out. Plah. Went out today and found some white boy beef rib tips, aka flanken style ribs which are used in kalbi style ribs. Gonna' do some heavy pettin' on 'em later tonight with some rub-a-dub for the Blues Smoker manana. Maybe a smoked bloomin' onion with queso too!

Here's some blues for the moment as it appropos at this time...

The fantastic and incredible Junior Kimbrough. Dig that groove. This is my kinda' bbq joint!

ok... I'll play
20ztyfl.gif

reverse seared - bone-in ribeye

in the smoker, then seared on the Char-Broil RED
169s1aa.jpg

35ak5md.jpg

seared
27ytsab.jpg

finished at 132° IT
btw- it was stuffed with garlic
1z6h5e1.jpg

a little blue agave reposado
20ztyfl.gif

nv467l.jpg

and Ray Wylie Hubbard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynCEqjaxy8Y&feature=related

Lmao Jay!!! I still want to use your post on your thread but can't figure out how.... :( I have asked around and no one can help........... booooo.....

Hey y'all. Gettin' down brown once again. Got me some beef flanken ribs (think Korean kalbi style).
I rubbed 'em up last night with just a little seasalt, fresh cracked black pepper and just a little brown sugar. Simple.

Fired up Ugly Black Betty (UDS) out on The Blues Back Porch. I'm using some Kingsford I got for free from TBMOM, so got to get rid of it, and some hickory wood chunks.

Feel free to enjoy this vid of Lightnin' Malcolm and Cedric Burnside aka The Juke Joint Duo while perusing this post. Ain't nuthin' and I mean NUTHIN' that sounds quite as sexy as a p90 goldtop into a tweed amp, even with a distorted recording.

Flanken ribbage...

IMG_3508.jpg

Always nice to have a little Hornito's and pineapple/orange juice chillin' on ice....

IMG_3511.jpg

Sex in a barrel!

IMG_3509.jpg

Gottem' on a little high...270F to start. Let it go for 20 minutes and then cranked it down and battened down the hatches to about 240F.

IMG_3510.jpg

More to come y'all....

Back