• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bonchi grow log (everyone can post)

this is the grow log for the bonchi challenge. i am trying to limit the rules down to a few. IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE US YOU CAN STILL BE A PART OF IT YOU JUST WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE THANK YOU.

RULES.
1. everyone entered must have a seperate variety of plant. meaning if two people want to both enter a bhut jolokia. an agreement must be reached to where one person must choose a different type. if an agreement cant be reached the person who was first to reserve that plant gets to have that variety.
2. you must reserve your plant(s) on this thread asap.
3. limit of two different varieties can be reserved.
4. you must have 3 photos uploaded before or on the day of the end of the contest. one photo showing height of plant. another showing the canopy of plant. one more photo of your choice showing your plants best feature or a really nice photo.
5. your plant must be 2ft. at max. height including pot.
7. if you decide to fuse or graft your bonchi there is still a two variety limit so you must graft either the two varieties together or you can graft multiples of the same variety together.
6. your bonchi can be any type of pepper. wild, super-hot, rare, mild etc.
8. all three photos must be submitted to this thread by MONDAY, DECEMBER 16TH 2013. That should give you enough time to grow, cut down, then regrow as a bonchi.

I would like to reserve my two varieties now sepia serpent and 7pot primo http://thehotpepper.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/fireball.gif

goodluck everyone and feel free to post other bonchi experiments in here just note that those are not the contenders

havent thought about that much but considering i have 10 months it will most likely be either seeds, pods, or powder. who knows maybe all of them

Count me in to contribute seeds as well to the prize pool. I need to replenish my seed stock anyway this year so I will be bagging blossoms to keep them true.

thank you for that we have quite a while to get the prizes together but i might throw in a bottle of habanero sugar i can get from the farmers market because that stuff is amazing especially on toast!!

Sowing seeds right now :)
20 varieties of hot peppers (Around 200 seeds) including the Tazmanian Habaneros (one of my entries)
And
11 varieties of Tomatoes (264 seeds)
1 variety of eggplant (24 seeds)

Nice I will be sprouting around 150 seeds within the next week all peppers and I might change my choice of primo depending on what I get

Hello,

I'm growing a few ornamental's this year for the wife and would love to try the bonchi method on a couple, entering them into this competition would just top it off. If everyone is ok with me playing I would like to reserve numex centennial and royal black.

Understand about the prizes etc but would be happy to pay the shipping if won - not that, that will ever happen. Also can contribute seeds to the winning prize fund if needed.

Let me know if ok and I'll post 2 pics of the plants I already have growing that I would like to enter.

Thanks

Mine don't look like they will be popping anytime soon but who's have started germinating already?
Not yet here, but I sowed one variety 5 days ago, and the other 2 days ago...

On the other hand, I sowed 10 serrano seeds together in a peat pellet, sol I could fuse them all, and 8/10 are hooking :)

Can only fuse 2 seedlings together.

For the contest.....but any # of seedlings should fuse together in theory right?
This one is just for fun, so If it doesn't work, no biggie :)

At the least, I would have a grove of serranos in one tight spot, which actually can help in my super freaky windy and hot location if grown outside...

Great thanks Nightshade. Really looking forward to giving this ago, always like the bonsai concept (watched too much karate kid when I was younger ;)) And as I'm growing several ornamental's this year just to make our living room a bit brighter, this will be the perfect chance to play around with a few different methods.

Numex Centennial would make a beautiful bonchi.

Yeah I think so too because it has the blue/purple and green leaves and then the fruits are all different colours so should have loads of different looks to it as it grows over the years (hopefully it will last that long), similar to the changes a tree makes going through different seasons. Should make for some nice pics anyway.

The two below are my two chosen plants - I think I might stretch them for the next few days to try to increase the stem length slightly and then twine them together in a single pot and go from there. This is the first time I have ever attempted bonchi so learning as I'm going, I think I have a bonsai book somewhere so will dig that out tonight and read up on the techniques.

Good luck everyone and looking forward to seeing some amazing pics from you all.

Numex%20Cent%20Bonchi%20Contest%201st%20March.JPG

Our 16 year old boy must have watched the Karate Kid a million times...LOL...I was telling him about Bonchi/Bonzai, and he says "Oh, like the karate Kid"... :)

We watched number 1 at Christmas (They should have stopped at #1 btw - don't ruin a good ting!) and my wife had never seen it before so just as Daniel-Son was about to do the crane kick for the first time, I had to stand up and quickly get it in there before he did, just to show my wife how cool I was..she didn't agree that I was cool and then I remembered that I wasn't 12.

Still whip out the crane kick pose sometimes just to remind her why she married me ;)

I love all martial arts though and am a great fan of the late Bruce Lee I have the moto of his dojo tattooed on my arm.

Yee Mo Faat Wai Yao Faat
Yee Mo Haan Wai Yao Haan

Transalated as:

Using no way as a way
Having no limitation as a limitation.

Bonsaaaaaaiiii!

Back