• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bonchi grow log (everyone can post)

this is the grow log for the bonchi challenge. i am trying to limit the rules down to a few. IF YOU ARE NOT FROM THE US YOU CAN STILL BE A PART OF IT YOU JUST WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE PRIZE THANK YOU.

RULES.
1. everyone entered must have a seperate variety of plant. meaning if two people want to both enter a bhut jolokia. an agreement must be reached to where one person must choose a different type. if an agreement cant be reached the person who was first to reserve that plant gets to have that variety.
2. you must reserve your plant(s) on this thread asap.
3. limit of two different varieties can be reserved.
4. you must have 3 photos uploaded before or on the day of the end of the contest. one photo showing height of plant. another showing the canopy of plant. one more photo of your choice showing your plants best feature or a really nice photo.
5. your plant must be 2ft. at max. height including pot.
7. if you decide to fuse or graft your bonchi there is still a two variety limit so you must graft either the two varieties together or you can graft multiples of the same variety together.
6. your bonchi can be any type of pepper. wild, super-hot, rare, mild etc.
8. all three photos must be submitted to this thread by MONDAY, DECEMBER 16TH 2013. That should give you enough time to grow, cut down, then regrow as a bonchi.

I would like to reserve my two varieties now sepia serpent and 7pot primo http://thehotpepper.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/fireball.gif

goodluck everyone and feel free to post other bonchi experiments in here just note that those are not the contenders

Think I might have to duck out for now. Was planning on using my two numex cent plants but after transplanting them they just gave up on me and then only 1 royal black made it through then due to other commitments I had to cull that also. So I still have two attempts for some bonchi this season going right now. They are both 3 plants in 1 pot. The first pot has a Aji Crystal, Bird's eye demon red and a Khoricha Jolokia in it. The 2nd pot has a Bird's eye demon red, Mexican Pequin and a Pequin in it. I know these can not be used in this competition but I would still like to post some photo's of the progress just to be a participant in the conversation.

I do however have 1 patio fire plant growing on it's own at the moment and if this becomes big enough in the next few weeks then I will enter this as my attempt in the competition. Would have been nice to do if with 2 plants. I was hoping to do something a bit crazy like StupidJerk has done but gotta work with what ya got. Hoping that the plant itself will be enough to shine through with it's fire like canopy.

So what this space

Post away my friend :)
Maybe we can convince nightshade to allow 3 seedlings in one for an entry :)
I know I would rather do 3 than 2 in a pot.

What is a khoricha jolokia? Sounds interesting and let me think for a couple days on if I will allow 3. If I don't allow 3 you will still be welcome to post and be part of the conversations

Ohh seriously I don't mind. Please don't change the rules just for me. It was set as 2 as should stay as two really, if things keep getting changed then there will be no structure to the competition. I am happy to just be part of the convo and share my experiments with you all. Anyway my patio fire plant might pull through yet so if it does I'll enter that instead.

I will post a pic up tomorrow of the 3 pot I have been attempting as getting late over here now and just fed the plants so they are looking a bit chillaxed and droppy and the moment. But a Khoricha Jolokia looks something like this
khorikajolokiasemi2.jpg

I was thinking that combined with a bird's eye demon red and an Aji crystal would make a pretty canopy once established in bonchi/bonsai form.

EDIT: Also there are several ways it is spelt. [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]khoricha, Khoricka, Khorika[/background]

Oh okay thank you I am not of a man of plans but I do like structure and that jolokia looks very cool how's the heat and flavor?

So is it too late to join? wish I would've seen this sooner I've been planning Bonchis for this year and have a seed tray full of starters. I'm mainly focusing on the columbian black.

Not sure of heat or flavour to be honset as I've never tried one, I just liked the look of the first fruit so thought why the heck not. I would imagine that it taste similar to a thai or bird's eye pepper as that kinda what it is really.

Here's my 3 pot experiment. This is a Aji Crystal, Bird's eye demon red and a Khorika Jolokia. I grew them all separately and then transplanted them into the one large pot they are in now. To keep them growing up right and straight I tied some string around the stem base. I have just removed it for the photo and so far it looks to be holding ok. I'll check on it later to see what it looks like as I have now left the string off to promote a bit of free rage growth. Going to put the string back on in a few days but further up the stem this time after I twist the center stem (Aji Crytal) around both the others. I think I will have to keep doing this in stages for now as the plants are still very young.

Here's the pictures

Main shot:
AJIcKJBedR%2015th%20MARCH%20Main.JPG

Front stem shot:
AJIcKJBedR%2015th%20MARCH%20front%20stem.JPG

Back of stem shot:
AJIcKJBedR%2015th%20MARCH%20back%20stem.JPG

Will have to trim those little leaves off later - just noticed them, sneaky buggers!

Aim to please. lol

I have tried several times already this season to get a bonchi going and every time I transplant them into the bigger pot the have been giving up the ghost several days later. So this 3 pot and 1 other I have are the only ones that have made it..so far! I don't think my other pot will make it as the stems and foliage just don't seem to be growing at all, they aren't dead yet but they don't look like they have done anything for a week or so. Still hope for them yet though.

For the competition plant, as mentioned I might re enter with a patio fire plant, I have one growing at the moment but when I checked on it this morning it had several really bad curly leaves, I have removed these and told the little fella it would all be ok and gave it a bit of a talking to, so will see how it does over the next few days. If it decides it doesn't like it fate of being twisted into some crazy shapes then I have 3 back ups. They are another patio fire plant, a Mexican pequin and a normal Pequin. Not reserving any of these atm just in case some one else wants to use them as their entry but just throwing it out there.

Yeah I'm definitely going to be starting all my plants off soon on a nute plan. I gave them a reasonable start with the soil mix (it will be improved next year for sure after more reading up - I know there's a wicked thread on soil on THP) and have only given them 2 watering's with diluted liquid seaweed. One last Thursday and again last night so they could certainly do with an extra boost now.

That's my home work for the weekend..look at an organic nute plan

I use Alaska brand fish fertilizer on anything from peppers to bonsai orange and lime trees. I use it on a lemon tree too. Personally I saw results using that 24hours after use. You can grab some at Wal-Mart for 8 bucks or less

Side project update :)

7 taller, and 1 shorter Serranos...gpimg to fuse at least the tall ones. Will start twisting etc...when the get a bit bigger.

IMAG1562_zps31c915fc.jpg

IMAG1563_zpsb16ac62c.jpg

11 or 12 Thai pepper seedlings...seeds came from pods from the Farmers Market :) Same plan for those guys too :)

IMAG1564_zps8577eb30.jpg

Oh, and the jalapeno overwinter "stick" that I want to Bonchify is coming to life!
All the growth is low down, so I am hoping up higher it decides to wake up too, or it wouldn't make a very good one!

IMAG1565_zps1e271cdc.jpg

That's what I was thinking...if that growth powers up some growth near the top, I'll be a happy guy! If not, it'll go into the ground with the others.
This warm weather this week really woke em up quick :)

Thanks I'm excited to find people who share my interests, my friends all fall asleep when I start talking about peppers and bonsai

Back