• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

bonda man jacques

the most often attributed bonda man jacques' origin is the martinique island (also found references to the neighbouring guadelopue and st lucía, so one may assume this chinense pepper is well spread all over that caribbean archipelago). notice the little stow away hiding inside the flower! maturing to golden yellow, it is supposedly very hot and widely used in the local cuisine.

bondamanjacques.jpg

bondamanjacquesbaby.jpg

Great, I was just about to start a thread about these peppers too. They seem to go by many name variations from Piment Ma Jacques to bonda man jaques and Bonda ma jaque or and they appear from the link below to be from St Lucia in the Caribbean but as whitekoohii mentioned it has likely spread all over the caribbean just as scotch bonnet have.

Good article here, although they really aren't the world's hottest pepper as stated
http://www.solanum.org/majacque.htm

And here's a pic of my plant starting to get lots of flowers and small pods

And here's a small pod

potawie, that pod looks evil. what is the volume of the container you have it in?

i am also growing madamme jeanette's so it'll be interesting to compare. i wonder what does bonda man jacques actually mean, sounds like creole of some sort...

whitekoohii said:
potawie, that pod looks evil. what is the volume of the container you have it in?

i am also growing madamme jeanette's so it'll be interesting to compare. i wonder what does bonda man jacques actually mean, sounds like creole of some sort...

Both names sound french to me:)
I'm not sure of the pot size but it must be at least 10 gallon. I think a tree came in it originally. You gotta love the built in handles too;)

Here's an updated pic of my plant with lots of pods. This is one of my quickest growing plants of the year:)

POTAWIE said:
Here's an updated pic of my plant with lots of pods. This is one of my quickest growing plants of the year:)

looking good Potawie must be from Martinque then which of course is french speaking and a few of the islands surrounding it....

Environment

Tropical forest near Fond St-Denis

Les Salines, wide sand beach at the southern end of the island

The north of the island is mountainous and lushly forested. It features 4 ensembles of dramatic pitons and mornes: the Piton Conil on the extreme North, which dominates the Dominica Channel, the Mount Pelee, an active volcano, the Morne Jacob, and the Pitons du Carbet, an ensemble of 5 beautifully shaped, rainforest covered extinct volcanoes dominating the Bay of Fort de France at 1,196 meters. The most dominating of the island's many beautiful mountains, with 1397 meters, is the infamous volcano Mount Pelée. The volcanic ash has created beautiful grey and black sand beaches in the north (in particular between Anse Ceron and Anse des Gallets), contrasting markedly from the white sands of Les Salines in the south.

The south is more easily traversed, though it still features some impressive geographic features. Because it is easier to travel and because of the many beautiful beaches and food throuout this region, the south receives the bulk of the tourist traffic. The beaches from Pointe de Bout, through Diamant (which features right off the coast the beautiful Roche de Diamant), St. Luce, the town of St. Anne all the way down to Les Salines are very popular.

looks a nice enviroment for chilis :)

I'm possibly(hopefully) going to Cuba or Mexico in the winter but right now I don't think my budget is going to allow it.

POTAWIE said:
I'm possibly(hopefully) going to Cuba or Mexico in the winter but right now I don't think my budget is going to allow it.

Do Mexico for the hot stuff....Cuban food isn't hot at all....it's like Puerto Rican food, very spiced up and flavorful, but not hot at all. Although, i still really want to visit Havana some day.

Potawie,

Tried for THREE years to get seeds from that Brian guy who wrote the article. Strange guy is all I can say! Always committed and then said he was too busy. He did this to 20-30 others too I believe.

He would spend a long time writing a book-like e-mail saying he didn't have time to send the seeds due to his busy schedule. He could have sent the seeds 50 times over in the time it took to write these responses.

It's just a funny story to me. No big deal.

Chris

POTAWIE said:
Great, I was just about to start a thread about these peppers too. They seem to go by many name variations from Piment Ma Jacques to bonda man jaques and Bonda ma jaque or and they appear from the link below to be from St Lucia in the Caribbean but as whitekoohii mentioned it has likely spread all over the caribbean just as scotch bonnet have.

Good article here, although they really aren't the world's hottest pepper as stated
http://www.solanum.org/majacque.htm

And here's a pic of my plant starting to get lots of flowers and small pods

And here's a small pod

Ya Chris, I noticed a lot of errors in the article and I don't know about his fermented chile oil recipe. He's obviously not up to date with things like we are here:lol:

i also tried to get seeds from brian a couple of times and only got back elaborated email responses, maybe chris' copy&pasted ones...

Those plants look fantastic! What a great lookin Pepper too.
Anybody know how they taste and what heat?
Very interested, will anyone have any isolated seed coming up, will love to do a trade.

Back