• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnie plant thread! post your plants and success/failures

Mufnz said:
Shishitos are awesome.  Get a nice cast iron pan, and put it in the oven under the broiler until it heats up.  Take your shishitos (tossed in a little bit of olive oil and salt) and pour them into the pan in a single/double layer, and put the pan right underneath the broiler.  Give it a few minutes until the peppers are blistered and a little bit blackened, flip them around a bit to get the other sides cooked as well, and then eat!  You want to pre-heat the pan in the oven for a while because the goal is to cook them very hot, very fast, so that they blister.

I like to use the bigger Maldon sea salt flakes for that, big crunchy salt is good.  You can dip them in anything too and they taste great.  
sounds great! i will try this!

all peppers are planted now. all in containers. mostly 5 gallon buckets with a couple being a little smaller. i will update when i can. 

20190504_180630_resized.jpg

i mentioned in my first post a couple of plants were doubled up in the cups. 

this one i left together to see how two plants do literally on top of each other.
20190423_180831_resized.jpg

this one was doubled up in the cup but i separated them. i want to see if the cayenne is stunted by being crowded. 
20190427_105515_resized.jpg

I never bought any Bonnie's plants but from what I've observed, if you get them at your local retailer right after the shipment, the plants look great but if they are allowed to languish at the Home Depot or the supermarket for a few weeks, the abuse/neglect of such retail environments take their toll....

I've seen friend grow Bonnie plants with good results, but I am not eager to try them. I'm addicted to starting my own plants from seed..

Bicycle808 said:
I never bought any Bonnie's plants but from what I've observed, if you get them at your local retailer right after the shipment, the plants look great but if they are allowed to languish the Home Depot or the supermarket for a few weeks, the abuse/neglect of such retail environments take their toll....

I've seen friend grow Bonnie plants with good results, but I am not eager to try them. I'm addicted to starting my own plants from seed..
i would do that if i had the space to do that. with that said, what the growers and stores do is basically a consignment deal. the grower, (contracted by bonnie) delivers to the store. the store sets them out and the ones that sell both the store and bonnie both get a cut of sale price. if they don`t sell eventually they go in the trash and the store loses nothing. if there is a drought the plants wither and die. the store will not provide any care for them. bonnie has only pennies invested per plant and the ones that sell cover the cost of the losses. to bonnie and the store, the only plants that matter are the ones that sell. all other plants are just part of the overhead. you will never see a store employee watering the plants.

The problem here is the very early Bonnies are small and it dont look like they bring them inside at night. We had quite a few nights in the 40s and the pepper plants showed it. The basil looked like hell too. Good seedlings will show up now and temps probably wont get under 50F. Herbs looked fine but i can get those cheaper than Bonnies or Burpee at our farmers markets. I did want to try the Bonnie Mexican Tarragon though. I checked it out last year at Lowes or Home Cheapo but i was basically full on what i could handle for the season.

Late season Bonnie seedlings are usually over or under watered and you need to watch for aphids too. So for me it required several calls and trips to Lowes/HD to get a good plant. Ive get 2 of each close so its not a huge deal other than getting a person on the phone that isnt swamped or just not very knowledgeable.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
The problem here is the very early Bonnies are small and it dont look like they bring them inside at night. We had quite a few nights in the 40s and the pepper plants showed it. The basil looked like hell too. Good seedlings will show up now and temps probably wont get under 50F. Herbs looked fine but i can get those cheaper than Bonnies or Burpee at our farmers markets. I did want to try the Bonnie Mexican Tarragon though. I checked it out last year at Lowes or Home Cheapo but i was basically full on what i could handle for the season.

Late season Bonnie seedlings are usually over or under watered and you need to watch for aphids too. So for me it required several calls and trips to Lowes/HD to get a good plant. Ive get 2 of each close so its not a huge deal other than getting a person on the phone that isnt swamped or just not very knowledgeable.
i can only speak from my experience in my city and the big box stores. the bonnie seedlings are already hardened off when they get delivered. they are put outside for sale and will not receive any tending or care. if i go to these stores from mid april till the end of may i find an assortment of varieties, sizes and conditions. the peppers i bought were over two consecutive weekends. there were also quite a few varieties there that i had no interest in. we also bought 10 tomato plants, 2 different cuke varieties, buttercrunch lettuce, swiss chard and quite a few herbs. i know i could save a lot of money starting from seed but i don`t have space at the moment.  i will also say that in 3 years of buying bonnie plants that i`ve never had one die. my wife picked up some tomato plants this year and last year from Whole Foods(owned by amazon) because they were 2 bucks apiece. the ones this year don`t look so good. the ones from last year put out a few tomatoes each but developed some type of leaf rot and died. they were side by side with bonnie plants and the bonnie plants grew fine with no disease. i know i may sound like a bonnie plant "cheerleader" but i`m just relaying my experience. if things went bad i`d be the first to bash them.

one of my jalapeno plants is starting to put out flower buds with the plant being about 12 or 14 inches tall. part of me wants to pinch them off so it puts its energy into growth and part of me wants to leave them be. it`s been re-potted and placed outdoors just over 2 weeks ago. what does everyone else do? :cheers:

20190507_162313_resized.jpg

Screenshot_20190507-221120_Gallery.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Got my 2 Mucho Nacho jalas a couple days ago.....Really love this variety. It has yet to disappoint me. The 2 i got last year went in ground and really cranked out the pods. This year that same small patch had a compost pile on it all winter so im hoping for a bumper crop of jalas this year too.
Scott, you bragging up the Mucho Nacho jalapeños has me on a quest to find them. [emoji16]. My local box store/ Bonnie dealer does not have them. I will find them,hopefully [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried numerous "retail" jalas. None have come close to the production, size and pretty stable amount of heat. People raved about Biker Billy....Yeah good heat, great flavor....but the Mucho Nacho blew them away in production. Plants were side by side in the same ground plot.

I can always find them at both HomeDepot and Lowes. Biker Billy seedlings are a total PITA to find here. 3 years in a row i have been 100% happy with Bonnie Mucho Nacho seedlings. Some have been real scorchers too for a jalapeno.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Got my 2 Mucho Nacho jalas a couple days ago.....Really love this variety. It has yet to disappoint me. The 2 i got last year went in ground and really cranked out the pods. This year that same small patch had a compost pile on it all winter so im hoping for a bumper crop of jalas this year too.
last year i had 2 regular and 1 mucho nacho plants. i try keeping plastic name tag things in the pots but they got misplaced. TBH i could not distinguish which was which by pod size or by heat. this year is the 3rd year growing bonnie jalas and every plant has produced well.  :cheers:

Since I had zero germination of my "Mad Hatter" seed this year, I tracked down a couple of Bonnie varieties. Since this is a hybrid, I'm hoping it is the same as I've been growing... a red Bishop's hat type, with just a bit of heat.

20190509_225343.jpg

I can tell you the Bonnie Mammoths i grew twice were total flavorless duds. Huge plants, jumbo pods and great yield but a worthless jalapeno. I can buy jalas like that all day long at the markets and not use up my limited space. You could use them in place of bells for fajitas i guess and probably never detect much heat at all. Out of 6 plants i dont think i got a single pod that was as hot as my mildest Mucho Nacho.

Bonnies SHU ratings list the Mucho as the hottest they offer...i think...upto 8k SHU and im sure ive had some much hotter than that. Ive had quite a few in the Serrano heat range but i would guess most are a solid 5-8k SHU. Peak summer months producing the hottest of the bunch. Pick them when they just start changing to red for the hottest. They ripen easily. I love them ripe too....makes a killer hot sauce.

I would have gone back to Early and Jalapeno M if i hadnt found them. Ive had some really great tasting Early but they seem to always be small pods. When i was a kid that is pretty much the only 2 jalapenos dad grew.

nmlarson said:
Since I had zero germination of my "Mad Hatter" seed this year, I tracked down a couple of Bonnie varieties. Since this is a hybrid, I'm hoping it is the same as I've been growing... a red Bishop's hat type, with just a bit of heat.

attachicon.gif
20190509_225343.jpg
i looked for those but my local stores didn`t have them. let us know how they do!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I can tell you the Bonnie Mammoths i grew twice were total flavorless duds. Huge plants, jumbo pods and great yield but a worthless jalapeno. I can buy jalas like that all day long at the markets and not use up my limited space. You could use them in place of bells for fajitas i guess and probably never detect much heat at all. Out of 6 plants i dont think i got a single pod that was as hot as my mildest Mucho Nacho.

Bonnies SHU ratings list the Mucho as the hottest they offer...i think...upto 8k SHU and im sure ive had some much hotter than that. Ive had quite a few in the Serrano heat range but i would guess most are a solid 5-8k SHU. Peak summer months producing the hottest of the bunch. Pick them when they just start changing to red for the hottest. They ripen easily. I love them ripe too....makes a killer hot sauce.

I would have gone back to Early and Jalapeno M if i hadnt found them. Ive had some really great tasting Early but they seem to always be small pods. When i was a kid that is pretty much the only 2 jalapenos dad grew.
good to know. i never tried those. i have only grown the regular jalapeno and the Mucho Nacho. bonnie sells 6 varieties of jalas but i stuck with these for the last few years. same with the cowhorns.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i looked for those but my local stores didn`t have them. let us know how they do!
I will do that! They are in "quarantine" as I do with all plants I purchase. These very young plants were from my local Lowe's. They appeared to have just been put into inventory. Burpee is also offering plants this year.

Back