• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnie plant thread! post your plants and success/failures

Orekoc said:
I found one, not a Bonnie plant though.  I'll check tomorrow and see if there are more.  How many did you want?

so kind of you to offer. i have to check my stores again tomorrow(saturday) to see what they got this week. i would want to get two plants. if you want to send them let me know what the cost is and i will cover it. if they are sold out i can wait till next year to grow them as i have a decent variety going already. i appreciate you offer. thank you! :cheers:

Haven't found them yet, but I'm still looking.  A friend is going to check the actual store where I found my plant.  The local store here in town didn't have any.  I may have a chance tomorrow to check a few other places, and time on Monday to check some others.  After that, I'm done looking!   I did find some Lemon Drop plants today, so score for me!
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
so kind of you to offer. i have to check my stores again tomorrow(saturday) to see what they got this week. i would want to get two plants. if you want to send them let me know what the cost is and i will cover it. if they are sold out i can wait till next year to grow them as i have a decent variety going already. i appreciate you offer. thank you! :cheers:

PtMD989 said:
I found Bonnie Mucho Nacho Jalapeños at the Home Depot today. I got one for my home garden and need to get one for my works garden [emoji16] $2.65 each out the door [emoji16] price on the display was marked $3.78.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cant find the muchos this yr at any of the usual vendors.

Home depot, lowes, fred Meyers, etc.

I did see some cow horn though. Never grew those yet so will grab one this morning and get it in the ground.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
definitely give the cowhorns a try, you won`t be disappointed. i`m growing two this year.  :cheers:
I forgot all about those cowhorns.I made a chili crisp using the dried ones you sent me.

Forgot that it had cow horns in it.

I want to smoke and powder them up.

:cheers:

Lowes was running a 4 for $10 on Bonnie seedlings. HD does it too.

Yes, get the Cowhorn for sure if you never tried it. Great all around pepper with lots of uses. Not terribly hot so it works well for many things. Mine were just slightly hotter than the average jalapeno but not much. Flavor was sorta like an Anaheim with a hint of cayenne when ripe but more Anaheim when green.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
how did the home made chili crisp turn out? 

Excellent, quite a bit more heat than the store brand.

I used peanut oil, worked great but the oil thickens when refrigerated.
Need to resolve that issue with a different oil next time.

15576782568219215016891371564371.jpg

20190223_155830.jpg

Masher said:
Excellent, quite a bit more heat than the store brand.

I used peanut oil, worked great but the oil thickens when refrigerated.
Need to resolve that issue with a different oil next time.

attachicon.gif
15576782568219215016891371564371.jpg

attachicon.gif
20190223_155830.jpg
yes the store bought one i buy isn`t very hot. i don`t refrigerate the stuff i buy because it is a small jar and will get used up way before it would spoil. yours looks very tasty!

Sorry to say, I didn't find them again.  I checked quite a few stores within an hour's drive of me.  No luck.  At one of the BiMarts, a local chain, I caught the guy who orders the plants, and he went through the list from the supplier, they had run out.  So I was lucky to get the one I did, which was from a different BiMart.

A buyer at another store told me how difficult this year has been for getting vegetable starts.  They even tried branching out to other suppliers just to get a big enough supply in the store.  But the selection and variety was crap.  One nursery was selling 4 inch pots of pepper plants that were smaller than what I have in 2 inch pots. 

Did get me two Mucho Nacho Jalapeños, a Ghost, and a NuMex Jim(?) at HD. 4/$10.

edit to correct a couple of words.  A correctly spelled wrong word isn't caught with spell check.
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
no problem. i`m happy with what i`ve got so far. now the weather needs to cooperate. in the 40`s for the next 3 days. grrrrrrr

nice score on the lemon drops.  :cheers:

Thought I would throw in here. I have about 25 plants in the ground, all but one grown by me from seed. I have one Bonnie: a Cowhorn. All the leaves have fallen off save 3 or 4 and it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

bpiela said:
Masher, what is the recipe for the "chili crisp"?  Looks great!
You can see a list of ingredients I used in the post when I made it.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66164-how-to-preserve-peppers-in-oil/?p=1615559

I peppers where from my grocery store from the Mexican food isle.
They were the larger 10"x10" bags.

Japones
Pequin
De arbol
Passilla.....I wont use these again. Wrong texture.
(Included was a small jar of dri3d cow horn and jalapeno from luvmesomepepperz)

The garlic and shallots were prefried, and removed so they didnt burn.

Then added at the end after the pepper and oil sizzle.

The white rounded things are pine nuts. About 3/4 cup went into the batch.

I watched this video and winged it.

Post edited to include video

cjkgt97 said:
Thought I would throw in here. I have about 25 plants in the ground, all but one grown by me from seed. I have one Bonnie: a Cowhorn. All the leaves have fallen off save 3 or 4 and it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.
if you have any updates keep us in the loop on if it bounces back.  :cheers:

Back