• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

BONSAI !

It got CHOPPED!

2011-04-01070726.jpg

This is awesome! Just what I need, something else to take up my time....my wife is going to love this! Thanks guys! :D :doh:

Great work. it looks in much better form now. All you have to do now is let it grow out good, it will look unkept for a while but you'll end up with a better crown base.

Novcastrian, you've opened my eyes up to some crazy stuff right there! Wowee! Bonsai! Far out.... horizons expanded........

Fatalii
bonsaitimmmm015.jpg

So what do you think Nova, any good. Will cut it back if it survives.

Have you got any care tips?

It looks alive and growing or have you just cut down and potted the plant? This plants off to a great start but reall should be trimmed back hard. I would cut the trunk back to just below the Y and use the new growth there as a base for a crown. Trim all the new growth back to 2-3 nodes and grow it out again. You can also pinch off the larger leaves now to make newer leaves grow smaller, but this could wait until you have a fuller crown.

Yep Just potted up Titusza1

Is the initial hard cut back for aesthetics or for the health of the plant? I've seen this in tutorials but it's not explained.

I'm not going for super small yet, just thought I'd see if the plant can handle so much of the root system being cut off and damaged.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Nova lol

Go for it TimmA! Listen to the German he knows his stuff. Cutting back is for asthetics afaik.

Yep Just potted up Titusza1

Is the initial hard cut back for aesthetics or for the health of the plant? I've seen this in tutorials but it's not explained.

I'm not going for super small yet, just thought I'd see if the plant can handle so much of the root system being cut off and damaged.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Nova lol

If you just potted it I would cut it back hard now. There is a chance ever so slight that it would start losing leaves and weakening if it is not cut back though this may not happen, it's best that a newly potted bonsai have little current growth to support. If it is cut back it will take a week or two to start showing growth again but then you know that it is healthy and will live. Chili's are fairly hardy your chances of losing it are slim if properly cared for. Cutting back the new growth at this time keeps the inter-nodes shorter allowing for more compact growth later, if you let it grow out too far you get larger than normal looking branches that don't taper and a loose airy crown.

I would cut at about the red line and keep the upper most branches lined in green ( also a branch at the back? hard to tell from the photo) (all cut back to 2-3 nodes) remove the lower branches like the red x'ed ones to expose the trunk.
b8b38c22.jpg

I love you tits

Love all around Nova. I really can't wait to get started with my own Bonchi in fall. It's been so long since I've grown peppers and done Bonsai. I never thought I could combine the two. It makes me wish I never canceled my subscription to Bonsai Art magazine I think I do have about 2-3 years of issues though.

Lol @ Nova haha

Thanks for the advice Titusza1 :beer: , I'll have to get some nice pruning shears and give it a chop.

I have a few other old plants that I might give a go if this works out.

I'm surprised that the plant didn't go limp after the cut back, half a day later and its still perky :)

Jolly good thread, chaps!

I might get involved in a spot of Bonning my Chi this winter...cursed season...!

Anyone know if the fruit is still produced / edible?

Back