• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

BONSAI !

Jolly good thread, chaps!

I might get involved in a spot of Bonning my Chi this winter...cursed season...!

Anyone know if the fruit is still produced / edible?

YES!! Check this out...
http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105
Im in the process of doing a bonsai with a long red slim, we shall see how it goes. BTW really cool thread!! :dance:

Say you had a plant all Bonsai'd up for a number of years then collected seed from it and grew some plants, I wonder if the plants would be slightly dwarfed or the opposite :crazy:

oh no,
now i am looking for a couple of those cool
little pots :woohoo: and some hard clay
i thought i hadf escaped by nearly covering my available areas
with chilis and tomatos now they are outside i have a space for this indoors
crap, i just can not resist :crazy:

Jolly good thread, chaps!

I might get involved in a spot of Bonning my Chi this winter...cursed season...!

Anyone know if the fruit is still produced / edible?

Hey Huntsman good to see you around! As far as i know the fruit are still edible, someone told me that the seeds would be good too.
Would be a good way to isolate a plant for pure seed being so small!

oh no,
now i am looking for a couple of those cool
little pots :woohoo: and some hard clay
i thought i hadf escaped by nearly covering my available areas
with chilis and tomatos now they are outside i have a space for this indoors
crap, i just can not resist :crazy:
Goodwill or Salvation Army store

I'd love to do that but for the little devilish whippersnappers running around.

Beaglestorm get your priorities straight! Ditch that woman and start a miniture garden right now! :crazy:

Saw the tally hos. I'm sure you already know that tobacco and chilli plants should not be close? See I'm assuming you smoke tobacco with those ;)

How long do chilli plants last anyway? Can you grow a massive thick trunked one after many many years?

Can you grow a massive thick trunked one after many many years?

Yep, I have a plant thats easily 30-40mm at the base but I'm guessing it would be too tall to bonsai up. Or do you mean a bonsai chilli plant from scratch and have it grow out a thick trunk.... Can't answer that one.

I've got a great trunk that I just started as a bonsai the other day. I need to get some pictures posted here soon.

And their multiplying

yellow 7

bonsaitimmmm024.jpg

And their multiplying

yellow 7

bonsaitimmmm024.jpg

The yellow 7 pot looks great. You may want to think about shortening the trunk down the the second new growth on the three trunks and give thought to removing the lower two completely. The trunk has a really dynamic look to it and the plant has a lot of promise.

@ titusza1, I was thinking of chopping it down a bit as it does look a bit off with the tall trunks but I'm a bit worried about sealing off the cuts, this plant seems to die off for a good inch every time I chop the main trunks...

Whats a good way to heal a cut?

I also chopped up a very large Bih Jolokia but couldn't fit it in a pot.

You could try normal tree cut sealer ( tar based) I've use it before on other bonsai and it works well. It's normal to see a plant die back abit after cutting a main branch but normally just till the last living node. If your trying to heal a cut with little scaring after time I would invest in a pair of concave cutters and seal the cut. It takes time but most cuts heal over nicely, Though concave cutters don't help much for cuts that are't flush on a branch or trunk. If the Bih Jolokia has a thick trunk pick up a larger pot for it, based off the rule of three's and you can't go wrong picking the proper size, depth 3 x the trunk width, width of the pot should be 2/3rds the finished size of the bonsai about the same as trunk height. Once you have the size needed for the trunk don't be afraid to trim the roots back so they just fit into the pot and take a wedge or two out for new root growth.

Outstanding thread and links to cool Bonsai stuff!

...And I thought I was just overwintering this little Super Chili, but now I learn I am possibly BONSAI !

I know its a common C Annuum, but might be a good test plant for me. Is the 5-inch pot too big to 'qualify'? The plant is about 4-inch tall, has been in place since Novemember and just now showing some life.

OW%2010%20SuperChili%20001.jpg

Any suggestions from you gurus what to do next? Where to prune? Pot down now (as its coming out of dormancy) or wait till end of this growing season?

OW%2010%20SuperChili%20004.jpg

Hi Siliman, I wouldn't do anything to it now, you could pot down but the pot is not that big so it could be used as a trainning pot to help the grow out and cut phase go faster. I would just let the new growth grow out at the branch tips to about 6-8" and then trim it back to 2-3 nodes, wire and repeat. Cut back low growth and keep the trunk exposed and your set.

Back