• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2017 glog

Started some seeds today for the 2017 season.  Starting chinense's earlier than last year but at this time last year, I had already started a bunch of baccatum's and that was a mistake. Let's get this party started!

Sown 6 seeds of each of the following Chinense varieties today in a 60 cell Bio Dome.  Put 2 seeds per cell, so each variety takes up 3 cells...

Pepper Name, Seed Source

Front Right
7 Pot Caramel, Scorched
7 Pot Defcon, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Douglah, Pepper Joe
7 Pot Katie, Refining Fire Chiles
7 Pot Lava Red, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Lava Yellow, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Madballz, Mid West Chile Heads
7 Pot Primo, Bakers
7 Pot Primo Yellow, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate, Texas Hot Peppers
Front Left
Bhut Jolokia Caramel, Fatalii.net
Bhut Jolokia Carrot, Puckerbutt
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate Smooth, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Bhut Jolokia Creamy Yellow, jcw10tc
Bhut Jolokia Orange Copenhagen, Wicked Mike OP pepper
Habanero Black Stinger, jcw10tc
Habanero Peach Jumbo, Phoenix Seed Train 2015
Habanero Pumpkin, Pepper Joe
Habanero Red Savina, Hot Stuff Seed Train 2015
Habanero Chocolate, Baker Creek

Devv said:
Dang it Bill, you gonna be busy!

And I like it!

Congrats on all the youngin's! ;)

Who is Bill?  :P   People I know call me Ben.  But I can answer to Bill as well.  Hey, thanks for the post.  I will be busy but what I plan to do is get 3 plants max of each type and plant the best one in my garden.  After that, this year I hope to sell plants locally for like $3 each assuming I fix my lighting issues I had last year, which I think I will.  You got some great stuff growing as well!!  I am probably going in way over my head with all of the wilds but what the heck.

D3monic said:
orange thai x aji fantasy sounds interesting. Some cool crosses you scored. 

Yeah, snagged that one on the Scorched Train last year.  I had msg'd the person who put the seeds on the train and he said that he didn't grow them out yet, so who knows what they will produce.  I am picturing a think skinned white colored thai pepper that tastes like the Aji Fantasy but with a little more heat.  I can dream.

depends what generation it is, if it's f1 will probably be a fat but flat lobed red pepper with thick walls. My best guess. 

Maybe shaped like these but red

pickersgills-orange-hot-pepper.jpeg

Update:

My 12 cell Jiffy Pellet greenhouse has not produced a single pop.  Not good.  Those are my Aji Lemon Drops but some other cool chinense peppers. 

On my latest 60 cell biodome, I am seeing some things pop.  My "Mel Unknown"'s from Tahiti have all popped.  That is very cool.  And two Bhut Chocolate x 7 Pot Yellows and a Madam Jeanette x Goronong have popped.  It also looks like a CAP 691 is popping.  That will be awesome.  Love that little guy.

bpiela said:

Who is Bill?  :P   People I know call me Ben.  But I can answer to Bill as well.  Hey, thanks for the post.  I will be busy but what I plan to do is get 3 plants max of each type and plant the best one in my garden.  After that, this year I hope to sell plants locally for like $3 each assuming I fix my lighting issues I had last year, which I think I will.  You got some great stuff growing as well!!  I am probably going in way over my head with all of the wilds but what the heck.

Yeah, snagged that one on the Scorched Train last year.  I had msg'd the person who put the seeds on the train and he said that he didn't grow them out yet, so who knows what they will produce.  I am picturing a think skinned white colored thai pepper that tastes like the Aji Fantasy but with a little more heat.  I can dream.

Sorry, bwain fart. I'm terrible with names. Been called worse I bet ;)  I think I'm still Scott

Well, I got some action in the Biodome with the Wilds and the crosses:

VOgH05R.jpg

When you split the 6 cells down the middle with 3 cells on the right and 3 cells on the left, you can see that on the right where the wilds are, I have a Chaco Red popping, the CAP 691 are all popping, a couple of Ciliatum (Rhombo) and the TCO7246 in the back there.  On the left, good things are happening with the Mel Unknowns in the front row, got a singular Aji Jobito x BBG7 in the second row, three each on the Bhut Chocolate x 7 Pot Yellow, the CP115 Red Douglah x TS BT Choc, and the Madam Jeanette x Goronong, got a couple of Moruga x BBG7 popping and towards the back I see both Tepin x Lemon Drop F4 and the Thai Orange Large x Aji Fantasy popping out.  Good stuff!!

On a side note, on January 2nd, I planted some seeds in this Jiffy 12 cell Greenhouse and this is what it looks like currently:

4OdnU9n.jpg

I have had it on a heating pad and I have kept it sufficiently watered if not overwatered.  Not sure why I am not seeing a thing here.  I have 5 different varieties including the Aji Lemon Drops for the growdown and nothing is happening.  Any thoughts on what I can do to push these seeds along assuming they are still viable?

I hate those pellets....never worked for me.

I gave up on them after 2 separate 30 pellet attempts.

I see others get results with them....if you have more seeds i would get them started asap in something else....if those finally pop, no harm having the back ups.

You choose best healthy plant from what comes up.

stickman said:
Looks like you're off to a great Start Ben! Good luck in 2017!

Thanks so much Rick!  Best to you as well!

Masher said:
I hate those pellets....never worked for me.

I gave up on them after 2 separate 30 pellet attempts.

I see others get results with them....if you have more seeds i would get them started asap in something else....if those finally pop, no harm having the back ups.

You choose best healthy plant from what comes up.

I hear ya, Dan. I just have so many of these darn pellets laying around so I am trying to use them up.  They are old and hard as a rock and probably something I shouldn't be wasting my time with.  The Park BioDomes do work well for me so I will probably focus more on them.

Devv said:
I too abandoned the Jiffy pellets. At first I was pleased, and later on not. I need to do a write up on what I did this season. I'm loving the results so far.

Please do a write up!  I would love to see what you are doing.  Your glog is awesome and that garden of yours is a thing of beauty.  Thanks!

bpiela said:

Thanks so much Rick!  Best to you as well!

I hear ya, Dan. I just have so many of these darn pellets laying around so I am trying to use them up.  They are old and hard as a rock and probably something I shouldn't be wasting my time with.  The Park BioDomes do work well for me so I will probably focus more on them.

Please do a write up!  I would love to see what you are doing.  Your glog is awesome and that garden of yours is a thing of beauty.  Thanks!
 Thanks Ben ;)

This is my experiment this season:

So far it's working really well, almost no helmet heads!

I bought a block of 100 3.5x3.5 pots and the trays that hold 18 pots from Amazon. The trays hold water, I bought 10. I used standard Miracle Grow potting soil, and filled them up 2/3 with the potting soil. Then I used Black Gold seedling mix. I filled one of the trays with the BG seedling mix and added water to saturate it until it was soaked. Then used a spoon to add 1" on top of the potting soil, using the spoon to even it out. Planted my seeds and put them in the trays. I filled the trays with water, 2"s deep and the potting soil soaked that up. I set the trays on the dining room table, as they popped and stood up they went under the lights in a new dry tray in the grow area in my shop, a 24x8' insulated room sectioned off from the rest of the shop. After that I never did anything but bottom water them when the pots get light in weight. Just add about 1.5-2s" of water to the tray. I make sure the bottom watering does not make the top layer get wet. So that requires watching them and a bit of playing with the water level. Not a single plant dampened off, and I said before helmet heads, we had one. And we were able to remove it.

So, I followed the advice of the forum, and let my 12 Cell Jiffy Greenhouse dry out a bit.  I pretty much waterlogged all of the peat pellets in an effort to soften them up, but at the same time, did not allow the seeds to germinate.  Well, I do have a little of poppage now.

2CuGNFe.jpg

Just showing the left most 8 cells because that is where the action is.  The four left most cells are Aji Lemon Drops so I got a definite one seedling plus another in a pre-poppage state.  The other seedling on the right is a Blushing Dutchman (CGN 21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore).  I am hoping that I can get at least one cell of each type planted in the thing to pop.  I really would like to get a Bih Caramel going.  The pics of those are awesome.

Other than that, I started some frutescens and some baccatums.  I will get a list up shortly.

List of Frutescens/Baccatums that I started on 1/27 in another 60 cell BioDome.  6 columns by 10 rows.  I split it down the middle and sow 2 seeds per cell, 3 cells per variety.

Name, Source
Baccatums
3 columns on right
Aji Norteno, Fatalii.net
Colombian Yellow, Texas Hot Peppers
Aji Penec, Seeds taken from a plant grown from Pepperlover seeds.  Some of these crossed with an Aji Melocoton and out came the Aji White Lightning Bolt that Lovepeppers grew out.  Hope to find another.
Jamy, Wicked Mike
Malawi Piquante, Hippy Seeds
Peruvian Giallo Arancio, Fatalii.net.  Great pepper that was awesome last season.  A mini Aji Amarillo
PI 199506, Wicked Mike.  Grew these last year and loved them.
Aji Blanco Christal, Growdown last year.  Had 4 seeds left so I thought I would give them a try.  If they don't grow, no biggie.
Tucano, Rainbow Chile Seeds
White-Peach PL, Pepperlover.

3 columns of left, Mostly Frutescens
Acrata, Rainbow Chile Seeds
Angkor Sunrise, Texas Hot Peppers
Cabai Burung Ungu, Fatalii.net.  Best pepper for me last year.  Great Flavor, great purple color.  This is a winner.
CGN 21554, jsschrstrcks
Hawaiian Chile, Scorched Seed Train 2015
PI 322717, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Tabasco, Mid West Chile Heads
Aji White Lightning Bolt F2, LovePeppers. 
Aji Painapple F2, D3monic.  I did really like this pepper last year.  Prolific plant.  I overwintered one, so it will be fun growing the F1 and the F2 this year.

Ok.  That is all for now.  Running out of room as usual.  Still need to plant some annuums and then I will be done.

Back