• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2017 glog

Started some seeds today for the 2017 season.  Starting chinense's earlier than last year but at this time last year, I had already started a bunch of baccatum's and that was a mistake. Let's get this party started!

Sown 6 seeds of each of the following Chinense varieties today in a 60 cell Bio Dome.  Put 2 seeds per cell, so each variety takes up 3 cells...

Pepper Name, Seed Source

Front Right
7 Pot Caramel, Scorched
7 Pot Defcon, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Douglah, Pepper Joe
7 Pot Katie, Refining Fire Chiles
7 Pot Lava Red, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Lava Yellow, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Madballz, Mid West Chile Heads
7 Pot Primo, Bakers
7 Pot Primo Yellow, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate, Texas Hot Peppers
Front Left
Bhut Jolokia Caramel, Fatalii.net
Bhut Jolokia Carrot, Puckerbutt
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate Smooth, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Bhut Jolokia Creamy Yellow, jcw10tc
Bhut Jolokia Orange Copenhagen, Wicked Mike OP pepper
Habanero Black Stinger, jcw10tc
Habanero Peach Jumbo, Phoenix Seed Train 2015
Habanero Pumpkin, Pepper Joe
Habanero Red Savina, Hot Stuff Seed Train 2015
Habanero Chocolate, Baker Creek

floricole said:
Sorry for you, If you did not live on the other side of the border I would send you plants for your season.

Hey, I sincerely appreciate the gesture.  I will still have fun this season with what I have left and what I have purchased.   I am a little scared about next season's seed starting but I will get through it.

Best to your grow as always.

Glad you had yourself covered Ben and ordered in some more plants, superb looking plants as fun well.
And arrived in tip top condition.

Same as another grower had offered "if you we're my side of the pond " I would of got some plants to you.

Glad you have a positive attitude and will still have fun .
Your winning, well done.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Nice looking plants you got in the mail Ben. :thumbsup:  Bonus that you got to keep some of what you started as well. I'm talking with the owner of a local Hydro shop who says he has good luck with OW plants by treating with Azamax and repotting in sterile potting soil. I definitely have an interest since I've had the same problems with aphids when I bring my plants inside. Cheers!

Late updates.  Garden is heading in the right direction.  Things are growing and are green.  I planted as much as I could in the garden so the plants are close together.  They seem to not mind it.

This is my first update of the entire garden.  There are 7 rows of peppers only.

First row is just a mix of different pepper types.  I have a Tabasco up front from Bonnies followed by 2 Angkor Sunrises that I grew from seed. 
8jg6Jqh.jpg

Second row in is pretty much all of the plants I bought from Refining Fire Chiles.  A couple that are refusing to grow, but altogether they are growing and buds are forming.  I do have a pod on one of the Foodarama Red Scotch Bonnet that is not visible in this pic.

4GBw9sZ.jpg

Third row is more chinense.  Here, on the right are the 7 plants I got from 96Strat.  Those plants are doing great!  I wish I gave them a little more room, but they are doing fine anyways.  The plant with the purple leaves is the BBG7 Mamp.
7KQsSKD.jpg

Fourth row is more chinense.  Here are the plants I picked up from CCN and from Piedmont farms.  At the end of this row and the previous rows are other chinense that I grew from seed.  They are just starting to look good.
U4Vqvr2.jpg

Fifth row is the baccatum.  These plants have really seen a recovery.  I planted some  horrible looking plants in this row and now they all look good.   The Aji Penecs in the front are from the same source that the Aji White Lightening Bolts were discovered.  The pods so far appear white but unfortunately, the shape is more Aji Penec than lightening bolt.
Fy5GtPb.jpg

Sixth row is annuums.  These plants are doing really great as well.  The Bonnie plants all look great and the ones that I grew from seed are starting to flower up.
W70Vdpj.jpg

Here is more of a closeup where the Jalafuego is on the right, a Serrano on the left and a Shishito in the foreground.
ys326FO.jpg

Last row is more annuums followed by a mix of stuff.  You can see a Super Chile on the right that is producing.  The red pepper in front is actually a ripe Masquerade.
S10Gojs.jpg

In this row is a Tepin x Lemon Drop F4.  Just about ripe.  Many more pods on that plant.
X0YxwFS.jpg

And the whole garden shot
gLo8ZkV.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Looking good bro ! Once the weather warms up and stabilizes it'll be a jungle !      :party:
bpiela said:
Late updates.  Garden is heading in the right direction.  Things are growing and are green.  I planted as much as I could in the garden so the plants are close together.  They seem to not mind it.

This is my first update of the entire garden.  There are 7 rows of peppers only.

First row is just a mix of different pepper types.  I have a Tabasco up front from Bonnies followed by 2 Angkor Sunrises that I grew from seed. 
8jg6Jqh.jpg

Second row in is pretty much all of the plants I bought from Refining Fire Chiles.  A couple that are refusing to grow, but altogether they are growing and buds are forming.  I do have a pod on one of the Foodarama Red Scotch Bonnet that is not visible in this pic.

4GBw9sZ.jpg

Third row is more chinense.  Here, on the right are the 7 plants I got from Plantguy.  Those plants are doing great!  I wish I gave them a little more room, but they are doing fine anyways.  The plant with the purple leaves is the BBG7 Mamp.
7KQsSKD.jpg

Fourth row is more chinense.  Here are the plants I picked up from CCN and from Piedmont farms.  At the end of this row and the previous rows are other chinense that I grew from seed.  They are just starting to look good.
U4Vqvr2.jpg

Fifth row is the baccatum.  These plants have really seen a recovery.  I planted some  horrible looking plants in this row and now they all look good.   The Aji Penecs in the front are from the same source that the Aji White Lightening Bolts were discovered.  The pods so far appear white but unfortunately, the shape is more Aji Penec than lightening bolt.
Fy5GtPb.jpg

Sixth row is annuums.  These plants are doing really great as well.  The Bonnie plants all look great and the ones that I grew from seed are starting to flower up.
W70Vdpj.jpg

Here is more of a closeup where the Jalafuego is on the right, a Serrano on the left and a Shishito in the foreground.
ys326FO.jpg

Last row is more annuums followed by a mix of stuff.  You can see a Super Chile on the right that is producing.  The red pepper in front is actually a ripe Masquerade.
S10Gojs.jpg

In this row is a Tepin x Lemon Drop F4.  Just about ripe.  Many more pods on that plant.
X0YxwFS.jpg

And the whole garden shot
gLo8ZkV.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Plants have recovered well Ben and looking super healthy and podding up nicely for you.
Really glad you hung in there few months back.
Going to be epic growing both sides of the kind.
Happy gardening buddy.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

peppamang said:
Looking great!!! Awesome. How is the straw on top working out for you? Does it keep the water in and the soil cooler? I've used perlite for that purpose but straw is probably 10x cheaper. 

I like the straw.  It does what you say, keeps water in and keeps the soil a little cooler.  Like all mulch, it helps with the weeds.  It does tend to need to be reapplied a few times during the season so I get extra.  Then, I just dig it under at the end of the season.  Very lightweight.  I am happy with it.

Filed under the "learn something new every day", I thought some of my plants had a magnesium deficiency but after viewing a conversation stated by forum member lek, I learned that I have a mite infestation.  Seems to be more prevalent on the annuums and baccatums.  Those have been in the ground longer than the others.   Here are some pics:

Here is a Relleno (annuum):

yyc6u48.jpg

Here is a Bell of Gollu (annuum):

3t1jDBA.jpg

And here is a Malawi Picante (baccatum):

DiH66nc.jpg

There is no escape from the pests for me.  I have to battle them inside and outside.  I picked up a few bottles of Miracle-Gro Nature's Care 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite Control.  I will hit these plants up every few days for a couple of weeks and see what the hay happens.

Hey Ben, use a magnifying glass to confirm your diagnosis.

That so much looks like sunburn. And of course I could be wrong. But my experience with mites has been a rust looking damage to the newest growth. Which looks fine in your pics.

How long have they been outside?

Just food for thought... 

Hope its not mites Ben...I agree with Scott,it does look like sunburn from here ;) I noted a few of my seedlings had similar coloring
during   a mini heat early June, wave lasting 3 days of 90+ degrees..& affected leaves look like those on your plants...
Hope that's what it is...as I know how the bugs have affected your plants in a MAJOR way...

Confirming with a magnifying glass seems like a good idea Ben. I'm not sure what magnification though... Probably a jeweler's loupe. I need 30x to see Aphid nymphs and Mites are much smaller. Looking good otherwise. Have a happy 4th!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

I appreciate the good thoughts but it does appear to be mites.  Here is a pic of the underside of one of the leaves:

LyaWgL3.jpg

One of those black spots moved while I was looking at it, so looks like it is confirmed mites.  I sprayed yesterday and then magically last night we had one of those rain storms roll through that the weather man didn't predict.  So, I will be spraying again today.

Otherwise, I am happy with the other plants.  They are all a nice deep green, so something is right.

Hows the Carrot Jolokia coming along Ben , is it setting bud/flowers yet ..all plants  looking good buddy. Seasons warming up nicely now . ;)

Back