• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2017 glog

Started some seeds today for the 2017 season.  Starting chinense's earlier than last year but at this time last year, I had already started a bunch of baccatum's and that was a mistake. Let's get this party started!

Sown 6 seeds of each of the following Chinense varieties today in a 60 cell Bio Dome.  Put 2 seeds per cell, so each variety takes up 3 cells...

Pepper Name, Seed Source

Front Right
7 Pot Caramel, Scorched
7 Pot Defcon, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Douglah, Pepper Joe
7 Pot Katie, Refining Fire Chiles
7 Pot Lava Red, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Lava Yellow, Scorched Seed Train 2015
7 Pot Madballz, Mid West Chile Heads
7 Pot Primo, Bakers
7 Pot Primo Yellow, Texas Hot Peppers
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate, Texas Hot Peppers
Front Left
Bhut Jolokia Caramel, Fatalii.net
Bhut Jolokia Carrot, Puckerbutt
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate Smooth, Scorched Seed Train 2015
Bhut Jolokia Creamy Yellow, jcw10tc
Bhut Jolokia Orange Copenhagen, Wicked Mike OP pepper
Habanero Black Stinger, jcw10tc
Habanero Peach Jumbo, Phoenix Seed Train 2015
Habanero Pumpkin, Pepper Joe
Habanero Red Savina, Hot Stuff Seed Train 2015
Habanero Chocolate, Baker Creek

So, on the Bhut Carrots, I have this one in the garden.  It is only a little over a foot tall.  It is spreading out fine.  Should see buds soon.

j1Z8yYm.jpg

I have a second which I potted up a couple of weeks back and is starting to really spread out.  The third plant is in a small raised garden at my sister's house.  That garden really did well last year.  So far, this year, not as much growth going on out there.  I have no clue why.  I really am banking on the one in my garden to be the best producer of the three.  Once I see the formation of buds, I will make an effort to isolate them in an effort to keep the seeds pure.

Some mini updates:

My Aji White Lightening Bolt didn't survive my early season issues, but I did get a couple of my Aji Penec seeds to germ.  They are from the same pool of seeds that I had put on the seed train that Lovepeppers pulled from and discovered the AWLB.  I had hoped that maybe I could find some seeds in there that are from the same cross.  Alas, I got pure Aji Penec.  Still more seeds to try next year...

wjxiynn.jpg

Getting a lot of action on the Moruga x BBG7.  Here are some pods on one small area on the plant:

l2xnT7a.jpg

I purchased a 7 Pot Brown MRM X from Piedmont Farms.  The pods apparently start by growing upwards.

6XbWRXR.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the pods on a BBG7 x Tabasco that I purchased from 96Strat.  Looks like the calynx is large, pods growing upwards, looks cool overall.

oHPqkqv.jpg

Lastly, a CGN 20800 that I overwintered.  I had moved it outside a little early and it dropped pretty much all of its leaves.  Now, the leaves have grown back and it is pumping out the pods.  None ripe yet..

EYmFVFR.jpg

all is looking great !  you'll like the MORUGA  x BBG , One hot pepper there ,    :party:
bpiela said:
Some mini updates:

My Aji White Lightening Bolt didn't survive my early season issues, but I did get a couple of my Aji Penec seeds to germ.  They are from the same pool of seeds that I had put on the seed train that Lovepeppers pulled from and discovered the AWLB.  I had hoped that maybe I could find some seeds in there that are from the same cross.  Alas, I got pure Aji Penec.  Still more seeds to try next year...

wjxiynn.jpg

Getting a lot of action on the Moruga x BBG7.  Here are some pods on one small area on the plant:

l2xnT7a.jpg

I purchased a 7 Pot Brown MRM X from Piedmont Farms.  The pods apparently start by growing upwards.

6XbWRXR.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the pods on a BBG7 x Tabasco that I purchased from 96Strat.  Looks like the calynx is large, pods growing upwards, looks cool overall.

oHPqkqv.jpg

Lastly, a CGN 20800 that I overwintered.  I had moved it outside a little early and it dropped pretty much all of its leaves.  Now, the leaves have grown back and it is pumping out the pods.  None ripe yet..

EYmFVFR.jpg

Some updates:

Some nice plain ole Bhut Jolokia's growing large:
yVkKlyQ.jpg

Some purple Masquerade peppers.  Plant from CCN Nurseries.   Nice colorful plant.
vhmpQqT.jpg

These are another purple pod, they are BBG7 Mamp.  Got this plant from 96Strat.  Pods are getting fairly large.
b1RErda.jpg

Here is a pic of some Aji Painapples F2.  Blockier than the F1.  
kj9k6zD.jpg

Lastly, a blurry pic of a PI 199506.  A bunch of 4-5 inch long pods.  They will ripen to orange.
huHrzgv.jpg

Devv said:
Well done Ben!

I'm very pleased to see the saaweeet updates.

Keep doing what you're doing. Your plants are loving your care ;)

stickman said:
Looking good Ben! You've got some gnarly-looking pods going... can't wait for them to ripen!

Trident chilli said:
Ben the Purple Masquerade certainly adds a splash of colour ... great addition

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the good vibes!  I will tell you.  It seems like I can get these plants to grow but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get rid of pests.  Currently, the pods I am picking are mostly infected with pepper maggots.  Maybe if I net the whole garden so that the adults cannot get to the pods...

I had my share of pests this and last season, and they're on going. If you grow organic, some years just go that way. So I grow more than I need, some for me in the end ;)  And I do address the issues.

I'd love to hear input about how to control the maggots...NOT a fan!

tctenten said:
Pepper maggots suck. They are my #1 issue every year. If you guys fugure it out, please share.
Putting up a barrier of light agricultural fabric like Agribon AG-15 would keep the flies away from your plants, but if you have them in your garden this year, the fly pupae are already in the soil next to your plants and next year's adults will emerge under the barrier. You'll need to plant your chiles somewhere that the maggots haven't been before putting up the barrier. That's what crop rotation's all about.
For ID info on the adult fly look here... Ipm.uconn.edu/documents/raw2/Pepper Maggot/Pepper Maggot.php?aid=57

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Putting up a barrier of light agricultural fabric like Agribon AG-15 would keep the flies away from your plants, but if you have them in your garden this year, the fly pupae are already in the soil next to your plants and next year's adults will emerge under the barrier. You'll need to plant your chiles somewhere that the maggots haven't been before putting up the barrier. That's what crop rotation's all about.
For ID info on the adult fly look here... Ipm.uconn.edu/documents/raw2/Pepper Maggot/Pepper Maggot.php?aid=57

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk
Rick, that is an awesome link!  I have to say that I did see those adult flys in my garden.  i did not know they were evil.  

i don't know if this was luck or not but two years ago, I used a thick layer of cedar mulch in the garden and I didn't have any pepper maggots that year...  I probably need to go to a synthetic plastic mulch of some kind and then start spraying once I see the adult flies...

bpiela said:
i don't know if this was luck or not but two years ago, I used a thick layer of cedar mulch in the garden and I didn't have any pepper maggots that year...  I probably need to go to a synthetic plastic mulch of some kind and then start spraying once I see the adult flies...

I think your first idea was a good one Ben... just move your plants before setting up the low row cover with the barrier fabric. If you can't or don't want to break in new ground you can put your chiles up in pots for next season and plant onions or garlic in this year's pepper plot to "encourage" the little bastiges to move on. :twisted:  Spraying would be the Nuclear Option...

Say, Ben, your grow has been through some ups and
downs this season, but I am glad to see that things
look to have settled in for you.  You have some great
looking plants and pods coming along.

Those aphid pics were some of the most horrific
I've seen!  Damn!

Good luck going forward, brother - keep those bugs at bay!

Back