• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Bread Maker

For years now I've been wanting to have a bread maker. A friend recently asked me if I've ever made jalapeno bread. I haven't.
I priced bread makers online and I'm not into forking out 150-200 bucks for one. I doubt I'll use it enough to make it worth that.
Can anyone recommend a solid and reliable bread maker in the 30-50 dollar range?
Also, I would love to hear any recipes/personal experiences in bread making. Habanero sourdough sounds pretty damn tasty.

StoneySauce said:
Can anyone recommend a solid and reliable bread maker in the 30-50 dollar range?

Yeah. they're called your hands. The $30 to $50 is for the bengay you're gonna need for your hands after kneading a ton of dough.....:lol:

Seriously, i wouldn't know. What little i know about them is my sister once said when it comes to them you definitely get what you pay for.

imaguitargod said:
Your oven ;)

205.gif
Smartass.

Seriously, a friend of mine had one some years ago and he told me it was as simple as putting in a pre-made mixture and setting the timer. He boasted about fresh baked bread every morning. As easy as a coffee maker.
I'm a great cook, but I'm not Martha freakin' Stewart.

StoneySauce said:
205.gif
Smartass.

Seriously, a friend of mine had one some years ago and he told me it was as simple as putting in a pre-made mixture and setting the timer. He boasted about fresh baked bread every morning. As easy as a coffee maker.
I'm a great cook, but I'm not Martha freakin' Stewart.
Ya, the bread makers really do make making bread all that much easier, but I feel it takes all the fun out of making bread.

Well, DH had a bread maker when we got together so it's here and been used but I prefer to do it myself. If he's in the mood he'll make a loaf or two but it's not something I would have paid for myself.

StoneySauce said:
Thanks Tx, I've been looking at that one. Seems reasonable and the reviews at WalMart's website are solid. I'm going to see if they have one in stock right now. I hope finding the mixtures doesn't become a problem.
I'll post again when I get home in about an hour.

No problem finding mixes at all, will be on the same isle as flour. Also you can buy "bread machine yeast" and make your own mixes, they sell that on the same isle as well.

My ***mart bread maker is awsome spent 40 ish on it and use it all the time makes great bread I have a hunney lime habenaro bread I lofe to make. I would not give up the machie for all the pods in the world I am lazy and damn proud of it.

OK, back home. Got the Sunbeam at $54.88 as advertised. I also bought a box of Hawaiian Sweet Bread mix specifically made for bread makers, just add water. (whew, glad I was sober. I almost left the store with nothing to put in it. That would have sucked!)
I am going to gut and chop 4 fat habbies to add to the mix.(What? You guys didn't think I would just make a generic box recipe for my first batch with no habs, did you?)
If nothing else, this should be a lot better than any air freshner on the market.
083.gif

I'll upload some pics as I go, or try to. I've currently abandoned the sober mindset.
ernaehrung004.gif

You definately get what you pay for.....

You want a bread maker that is going to be able to make a loaf size of about 1kg (2 pounds). You can always make it smaller if you want but if you get a mixer that can only make loaf sizes to a max of 500-800g (1-1.3lbs) you will be disapointed in the long run if you find you want to make more.....

The maker in the link looks like a great one.....can do a 2Lb loaf and has a 13 hour timer which is great. I use the timer on my machine all the time, put in all the ingredients and set the timer before I go to bed and when I wake up I have fresh bread still warm........and theie is nothing better than waking up to the smell of freshly cooked bread.......:)

You will get a better flavour and feel to the bread if you use seperate ingredients instead of using a premixed pack, and the cost overall per loaf isn't very much.....

Make sure you use good bakers flour and good quality dried yeast. With the yeast, I buy a 300g (bit lighter than a pound) bottle of it. Once it is open you just make sure it has a good seal and stays in the fridge, and it will last for ages.....

Good yeast and flour is what makes or breaks a loaf of bread....

I've never made bread. I'd like to add something though, add some shreaded cheese to the mixture. cub sells focacia (sp?) & walmart jalapeno cheese bread & its good for what it is chilewise. cubs focacia bread is killer!! (all flavors)

Good advice Moyboy. This maker toggles between 1.5 and 2 llbs depending on the mix.
I got so excited to start I almost forgot to add the yeast packet. I almost made a lump of crud.
The bread mix came with 2 yeast packets but the instructions called for only 1 packet. Why is that? Should I have added both?

Wow, cool, I just looked through the top window. I now have a spinning dough ball. The sweet bread setting goes 2 hrs. 55 mins. My curious side is dying to play with it. I have to leave it alone for 2 more hours.

OK, I didn't have 4 fat habs in my garden so I took 6 mediums. I gutted and finely chopped them.
I am now fantasizing about apple smoked ham and sharp Swiss cheese.

first_hab_bread_1.jpg

chilehunter said:
I've never made bread. I'd like to add something though, add some shreaded cheese to the mixture. cub sells focacia (sp?) & walmart jalapeno cheese bread & its good for what it is chilewise. cubs focacia bread is killer!! (all flavors)

Good call chile. I'm sure parmesean would go nicely into the mix.
Foccacia is awesome with parm and a good EV olive oil and balsamic vinegar mix. This maching only makes loaves. Flat bread is a completely different bear.

StoneySauce said:
The bread mix came with 2 yeast packets but the instructions called for only 1 packet. Why is that? Should I have added both?

I'm not sure why it would have provided 2 packets. From memory, some recipes call for more yeast to give you a traditional yeasty flavour....Not to my taste though...

For a basic loaf or 2lbs the usual amount of yeast is usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons full OR 30g......(don't know what that is in ounces)...

P.S. my bread maker is the same....It takes 2 hrs & 58 minutes to made a basic 2lb loaf on the medium crust setting.........

moyboy said:
For a basic loaf or 2lbs the usual amount of yeast is usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons full OR 30g......(don't know what that is in ounces)...

That's close enough to call it an ounce(28g).

I need one of these now :( I hate this forum, i always end up buying and cooking stuff after getting on here. You guys are bad influences lol.

I have a good breadmaker. Emeril's by T-Fal. I can make three different sized breads, baguettes, rolls, doughnuts, pasta dough, and more. I don't use it often enough though. Now after reading this I am going to have to make some tomorrow.

All you need is a loaf pan to make bread.

Back