• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BREAKFAST!!!

I was looking for a breakfast thread and never found one that seemed open-ended enough to post on. So here y'all go!

Posty up your breakfast if you like, even if it's cold leftover pizza.

No time for words? No problem. Show us your awesome yellowish cell phone camera pic. No obligation to write out a recipe here if you don't want to.

Forgot to take a picture until halfway through the meal? Perfect! Selfie photo-op.

Whoops! You made brunch instead? That's cool... it counts.

I'll go first with a take on a Cuban breakfast called Huevos Habaneros. It means Havana Eggs, but it's not made with Habaneros. In fact, it's not traditionally spicy hot. (Cuban meals typically aren't.) So, I had to SoFlo it up a bit and call it something different.

Huevos SoFlo

12696616545_24ec2f99e5_b.jpg

These are eggs baked over sofrito with butter on top in a custard cup for about 12 minutes at 375 F (yolks are still a bit runny). Then topped with more sofrito and garnished with some cayenne powder, but sofrito isn't spicy hot either. So...

Sofrito Caliente

(Enough for one serving)

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Fresno pepper (cored and chopped)
1 green jalapeno (cored and chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomato
olive oil for sauteing

Saute the onion and peppers till the onion is translucent. Then add the garlic and cumin for a minute more. Then toss in the tomato for another minute or two. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Do it up y'all!

Let's see what breaks your fast.

sicman said:
Nice grant.

Grilled cheese with farm fresh egg and some homemade chii. Yup I said chili on my sammy ;)

I need at least 2 of those, plus some crispy hash browns and bloody mary, for breakfast tomorrow.

FreeportBum said:
you gotta 86 that buttersworth. pancakes look nice and fluffy
i mostly only use syrup in places i want to add a little smokey to something, and rarely eat pancakes or waffles (which i prefer w/ butter/brown sugar) ... i don't really like dessert much, so i wouldn't eat the thing at all without syrup ...

grantmichaels said:
i mostly only use syrup in places i want to add a little smokey to something, and rarely eat pancakes or waffles (which i prefer w/ butter/brown sugar) ... i don't really like dessert much, so i wouldn't eat the thing at all without syrup ...
So I'll send you some fresh maine maple syrup from my fathers farm and you send me a pastrami on rye  :high:

grantmichaels said:
OIC, you are contesting that it's commercial ...

Shoot over a link to some sizzurp you like and I'll try it.

Not to speak for FPB, but I think he's just down on the HFCS version of breakfast syrup.  This is the brand I purchase.  You should Pepsi Challenge it next to Ms BW - difference is night and day in terms of complexity and flavor.  As a known foodie in these parts it strikes me strange you don't know, but then again I probably wouldn't either if my wife hadn't abolished all the fake syrup from our house when she moved in...

What's the diff between Grade A like SF suggested, and a B, like http://www.amazon.com/Coombs-Family-Farms-Organic-32-oz/dp/B0083QJU72/ref=pd_sim_gro_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ACVMFGBTAN3BNYD7N5H

FB please explain grade A, B, Amber, etc. thanks.

I use the hell put of real maple syrup. Benito's Hot Sauce makes a good chipotle one if anyone is interested. It's really good!

HAHA me and GM posted the same ?.

FreeportBum said:
Color and flavor
Well no shit! I thought you knew the actual difference since your family is in it lol.

I'd rather ask someone in the trade than google it. I've googled it before.

Not to speak for FPB, but I think he's just down on the HFCS version of breakfast syrup.  This is the brand I purchase.  You should Pepsi Challenge it next to Ms BW - difference is night and day in terms of complexity and flavor.  As a known foodie in these parts it strikes me strange you don't know, but then again I probably wouldn't either if my wife hadn't abolished all the fake syrup from our house when she moved in...

I'm not a real foodie, I'm just constantly tempted by improvement is all ...

Well, I have no reason to believe that I have a gifted palette, to start ...

Usually Grade A is better, so I'm curious if picking B was FB aiming towards smokiness?

For us early season sap is always lighter, later season is darker. Also depends on how long you boil it. Later season sap needs to be boiled longer and gets the darker color, it's even healthier for you then early season sap. it has a deeper richer maple flavor,not for everyone. But think taking you normal grade a and reducing it down. I'm not an expert by any means my father is retired and has 75 acres with a bunch of sugar maple trees, he makes it as a hobby and sells the extra at farmers markets.

Someone on Amazon:

fewer minerals than the other grades. It is more expensive and less desirable (health and taste wise). Grade B is the second run with more minerals plus more maple taste. Grade C is the third run with even more minerals and an even stronger taste of maple and it's slightly less pleasant for most people.

grantmichaels said:
I'm not a real foodie, I'm just constantly tempted by improvement is all ...

Well, I have no reason to believe that I have a gifted palette, to start ...

Usually Grade A is better, so I'm curious if picking B was FB aiming towards smokiness?
You ARE a real foodie. Shit I'm ordering a freaking pastrami in the mail because of you.

Back