• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BREAKFAST!!!

I was looking for a breakfast thread and never found one that seemed open-ended enough to post on. So here y'all go!

Posty up your breakfast if you like, even if it's cold leftover pizza.

No time for words? No problem. Show us your awesome yellowish cell phone camera pic. No obligation to write out a recipe here if you don't want to.

Forgot to take a picture until halfway through the meal? Perfect! Selfie photo-op.

Whoops! You made brunch instead? That's cool... it counts.

I'll go first with a take on a Cuban breakfast called Huevos Habaneros. It means Havana Eggs, but it's not made with Habaneros. In fact, it's not traditionally spicy hot. (Cuban meals typically aren't.) So, I had to SoFlo it up a bit and call it something different.

Huevos SoFlo

12696616545_24ec2f99e5_b.jpg

These are eggs baked over sofrito with butter on top in a custard cup for about 12 minutes at 375 F (yolks are still a bit runny). Then topped with more sofrito and garnished with some cayenne powder, but sofrito isn't spicy hot either. So...

Sofrito Caliente

(Enough for one serving)

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Fresno pepper (cored and chopped)
1 green jalapeno (cored and chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomato
olive oil for sauteing

Saute the onion and peppers till the onion is translucent. Then add the garlic and cumin for a minute more. Then toss in the tomato for another minute or two. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Do it up y'all!

Let's see what breaks your fast.

We always use  Canada no 1 light for eating with pancakes waffles and such   but  syrup is all about personal taste.  Our good friends  love the dark amber stuff produced around here, whereas we get people we know in Quebec just above the Vermont border, to put aside  a few gallons of first run No 1  every other year or so for us.  It all has about the same sugar content but when the sap is collected determines colour taste.  I talked to someone who works a sugarbush  that says even the time of day makes a difference.  They have the entire bush tapped and run with plastic piping that feeds down to storage tanks at  the sugar shack.   What they run in the evaporator from sap collected in the morning vs a batch from sap in the afternoon supposedly tastes different. 

Never had the smoky flavor GM mentions. I heard that's a flaw from improper ventilation when boiling it down using a wood fire.

The three best things in the past months:

Mrs Buttersworth and JHP Smokin' Banshee Lite Soy Sauce w/ a splash of Rice Wine Vinegar ... Gyoza's BFF!
Slow-cooker Chuck Roast and Peppercini Juice, w/ giardiniera ... from the Internet.
Hot Brisket with Burrata Moz and Scotch Bonnet powder ... OMGWTFBBQ good, but nobody else is tempted by it.

I'll keep preaching the good word, lol.

brisket and burrata doesn't seem to go, but burrata is often served w short ribs so it makes sense.

really glad you ordered some 'for real shiot' maple syrup.  looking forward to the pepsi challenge.

It was like having dinner ... and dessert ... at the same time. The sweet aromatics of the long smoke on the brisket w/ the sweet, creamy inner curd stuff in the cheese ... Danielle was jealous of it, she saw my pupils dilate and I think I got a cramp from smiling too hard ...

Booma said:
I got a gadget or 2, but the only one needed today is the hangover gadget. Just ate 10 of these, little soft dinner rolls, maple bacon jam, Mexican 4 cheese and Byron bay jalapeno sauce

Um, Yeah.

That is a breakfast worth postage!

Booma.

There's only three things wrong with that breakfast.

1. There's only one.
2. The eggs are done just a little too awesome.
3. I don't have one in front of me.

Other than that it's PERFECT!!!!!!

Back