• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bringing Peppers/Seeds back from a cruise

Anyone have any experience bringing peppers and/or seeds back from a cruise?   I will be going to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozmul on the cruise and was hoping to at least bring some seeds back. 

Any info would be appreciated

CAPCOM said:
I was eating peppers and there were so many seeds that they kept shooting out as I bit the pepper and some must have fallen down inside my shirt and worked there way all the way down to my socks and got wedged there. And that is why you found pepper seeds in my socks in my baggage.

That is your story and you are sticking to it.
LOL

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Little baggies of cooking herbs...mix the seeds in with them but put some indicator so you know which are in the bags. 

I gotta disagree. I wouldn't mix them with any herbs or powders or anything else that could be screened for drug contraband. Be fearless about it first off. Put a pinch of each kind of loose seed in a pants or shorts pocket. Two pair of pants should equal 8 variety's if need be. Then make a small map of which pocket has which variety and carry that in your wallet. That's the way I would do it anyway.

hogleg said:

I gotta disagree. I wouldn't mix them with any herbs or powders or anything else that could be screened for drug contraband. Be fearless about it first off. Put a pinch of each kind of loose seed in a pants or shorts pocket. Two pair of pants should equal 8 variety's if need be. Then make a small map of which pocket has which variety and carry that in your wallet. That's the way I would do it anyway.
You can disagree, I have done it ;) 

I would definitely be approaching it from several angles, mailing some back home, maybe duplicate mailings, in the pocket and socks, implanted under a flap of skin and stiched up. If they ask, tell em a shark bite. And last but not least a couple of mules.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to spend all that money on a cruise someplace nice and not come back with pepper seeds.

Funny thread. My parents are coming home this weekend from Guatemala with some nice seeds. They think they can bring whole pods through because they drove across from Canada with 50 lbs of carrots & brought corn seeds back from Guatemala last time. I disagree, but my dad doesn't listen. I MAY have some nice Chiltepe, Petenero, Caballo (rocoto), etc seeds on Sunday or I may be bailing my parents out of jail. :)

Never been in a cruise, but from what I understand you basically get on a port of entry and binge for a however long while they ferry you around to different places. Then you get the op to get off to see local sites, and then get back in the same boat and go to the next place.

So what's to stop you from buying some local produce to enjoy in the privacy of your own cabin? Dry the seeds then tuck then away in your luggage.

I have always just tucked them away in checked luggage and have never had issues between Japan and the US. (I am assuming you have to fly to your port of departure for the cruise and will have checked luggage).

You could always stick them up your ass!

Dammit, you beat me to it...

I took that same cruise about 10 years ago btw.  Make sure you visit stingray city!

filmost said:
So what's to stop you from buying some local produce to enjoy in the privacy of your own cabin? Dry the seeds then tuck then away in your luggage. I have always just tucked them away in checked luggage and have never had issues between Japan and the US. (I am assuming you have to fly to your port of departure for the cruise and will have checked luggage).
Nothing. But typically you go through customs where you're supposed to declare such things. Awful easy to hide though ...

I like the mailing idea as a backup, if there was time.

Back