• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking brisket temp???

i was wanting to know what temp you get your brisket too ... i am cooking 1 right now... my temp is 155 center. i do 1 hr per # this one is a 15lb brisket i am on 10hr right now .... and i will have a pic or 2 later!!!

From what I have learned, you want the internal temp to be around 190 and then pull it off and let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Maybe Bam can weigh in in this...

What is the temp of your smoker/grill? You want to be around 225F.

JayT said:
From what I have learned, you want the internal temp to be around 190 and then pull it off and let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing. Maybe Bam can weigh in in this...

What is the temp of your smoker/grill? You want to be around 225F.

yeah it has been right at that all day long.... really i thought it was more like 200+ i am close to 190 now ...

The temp will continue to rise while it is resting. That's why you wait 15 minutes. Well, that and letting the juices redistribute.

In order to be tender, a brisket must be cooked to an internal temperature of 180-205°. The reason for this, according to McGee, is that the conversion of collagen to gelatin doesn't even begin until meat reaches an internal temperature of 140°F, and is most efficient as internal temps approach 212°F. "Low and slow" barbecuing at 225-250°F is ideal to facilitate this conversion, providing gentle heat over many hours, allowing the collagen to make its transition into gelatin. While some moisture will be driven out of the brisket as it reaches these high internal temps, the gelatin makes up for it and keeps the meat moist. Of course, the fat layer on the brisket also helps maintain moisture in the meat during cooking, as well.

Barbecue experts with years of cooking experience say a brisket is done when it's "fork tender", meaning that a fork or a probe thermometer goes in and out of the meat with little resistance. The problem is that both a properly cooked brisket and an overcooked one with both be "fork tender". For most folks like you and me, it's best to rely on internal meat temperature to determine when a brisket is properly cooked.

What most everyone does agree on is that a properly cooked slice of brisket should pull apart easily, while still maintaining good texture. An overcooked slice will fall apart when picked up.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

here is a pic of what i paid for this ... really good deal i should have got a few more briskets... sorry i for got the raw meat pic but i just took this and it is almost been 11hrs now... i will post better pics of it coming off
IMG00003-20090708-09211.jpg

IMG00004-20090708-22421.jpg

redeyes said:
i was wanting to know what temp you get your brisket too ... i am cooking 1 right now... my temp is 155 center. i do 1 hr per # this one is a 15lb brisket i am on 10hr right now .... and i will have a pic or 2 later!!!

usually with briskets and butts i generally go at least 1 1/2 hours per lb

oh and very nice looking bark on that chunk of meat..good job

sfisch said:
Man, .87 a pound!!
Most regular grocery stores up here price flats $3.89 and higher.

Scott

if i could find briskets around here i would pay 3.89..lol

finding one around here is like winning the lottery... i am craving brisket alot these days thanks to these threads..lol

HeXX YEAH I'd have bought a few!! Especially the way I screw up briskets. I cooked one at about 240 in my Brink SnP for about 15 hours, got impatient. Shoe Leather. Yummy. I couldn't even oven it to try and save it. Oven sucks that bad. Well, I could have, but really...

gReAt JoB :>) the only thing I do different is wrap them in foil after it is through smoking and put it in the oven at 400 for an hr and it turns into M&M brisket

pappywith4 said:
gReAt JoB :>) the only thing I do different is wrap them in foil after it is through smoking and put it in the oven at 400 for an hr and it turns into M&M brisket
M&M?
(Melt in your mouth?)

Back