• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Burgers? Hell Yeah!!

Hey y'all looking through the sacred THP scrolls it is apparent that most awesome of foods is sorely neglected. That's right chidren's, I'm talkin' about BURGERS!! Sliders. Pub burgers. Fast food style burgers. Gastro burgers. Cheffy burgers. CHEESEBURGERS!!! Single and double meat. Triple meat. Extreme burgers. Man vs. Food burgers....the list is endless but y'all get the idea.

We won't go into the endless arguments of who created the first hamburger (Fletcher Davis) or what meat qualifies as a burger. Nonetheless....here are the rules for posting in this soon to be awesome thread:

1. Any meat goes. Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, rat, fish. Whatever, hunt it down and kill it with a knife. Its all good and I've included the options other than the traditional beef so all the kids can play in the pool. If its ground and round, its all good.

2. The damn 'thang has to be between 2 slices of bread or bun. White bread. Brioche. Sourdough. English muffin. Whole wheat. Its got to be bready. No wrap crap or wild pizza dough like chingaderra's.

3. Any cooking method goes. Grilled. Broiled. Griddled. Steamed. Deep fried. Zippo lighter.

4. Because I love to ridicule to no end tree hugging granola wimps and hippy's.....
Veggie burgers are all good. Just be prepared for the woe and gnashing of teeth and smack talk that will soon come if you post it. It will be all in fun and all good.

5. You suck at cooking? The only thing that would suck more is if you posted pics of your restaurant burger. For the sake of keeping the comedy rolling...
Any burger you didn't cook or you bought is allowed and is all good. Warning: while allowed, posting pics of BK burgers or their ilk with a splash of tabasco will bring upon you the most ridicule and insults. Even more than a veggie burger!

6. Chile's and/or hotsauce is mandatory on the burger. ON the burger, no crap on the side.

7. Pics are mandatory. No posting about a burger you made or ate without pics. You will suffer extreme ridicule and experience much loathing. Just don't do it.

8. Include a list of condiments and toppings. Mayo. Mustard. Onions. Cheese. Extract of male baboon spermatazoa. Whatever. Post it.

There it is y'all. Can you get down brown with it? Allrighty then...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Here's mine. Sliders. 80/20 ground chuck from Matador Meat Market, Frisco, Tx. Cooked over fine diced yellow onions in cast iron using the smash technique. Toasted Pepperidge Farm slider buns with mustard, the onions, dill pickle and jalapeno pickle slices. Kraft brand American Plastic Cheese.

IMG_3447.jpg

Adult beverages are encouraged in the pics but not mandatory. Dig that awesome cast iron crust sear!

IMG_3448.jpg

So bring on your burgers. And that means those damn Aussie's and their stinkin' beet root too!!

I was working my way through a new cookbook last weekend  - "Mr Hong" by Dan Hong, a top asian fusion cook in Australia.  He had a great tip for making burger patties. His kitchen crew worked on perfecting the perfect burger mince for some time, and came a unique take. His advice for the grind is 80% beef, and 20% dry aged beef fat.  Apparently butchers usually toss the dry aged beef fat away, but it has great complex flavour.  Going to see if I can track some down and put it to the test.

Bumper said:
I was working my way through a new cookbook last weekend  - "Mr Hong" by Dan Hong, a top asian fusion cook in Australia.  He had a great tip for making burger patties. His kitchen crew worked on perfecting the perfect burger mince for some time, and came a unique take. His advice for the grind is 80% beef, and 20% dry aged beef fat.  Apparently butchers usually toss the dry aged beef fat away, but it has great complex flavour.  Going to see if I can track some down and put it to the test.

This makes no sense. Unless you are leaving info out. Take 80/20 ground chuck. There is no fat added that is a fatty cut, chuck, from one of the 8 primal cuts. So if you add 20% more fat you have a 60/40 burger.

So he must use lean beef for the grind, but still... you are ending up well over 20% fat, more like 27 to 30 since lean cuts have 7-10%. Unless grinding filet, which can have less that that. Is he grinding filet? Or making really fatty burgers?

It really matters what cut you are using, you can't just say beef. But I'd like to see your experiment. If I were you I still try to achieve an 80/20 burger, so find out how much fat the cut has, and add until 20 with the dry aged fat.

The Hot Pepper said:

This makes no sense. Unless you are leaving info out. Take 80/20 ground chuck. There is no fat added that is a fatty cut, chuck, from one of the 8 primal cuts. So if you add 20% more fat you have a 60/40 burger.

So he must use lean beef for the grind, but still... you are ending up well over 20% fat, more like 27 to 30 since lean cuts have 7-10%. Unless grinding filet, which can have less that that. Is he grinding filet? Or making really fatty burgers?

It really matters what cut you are using, you can't just say beef. But I'd like to see your experiment. If I were you I still try to achieve an 80/20 burger, so find out how much fat the cut has, and add until 20 with the dry aged fat.
Point well made 

He uses 400g grain fed beef brisket top layer of fat removed
400g grain fed chuck fat removed 
200g dry aged beef fat

Edits made - damn I type badly before coffee!

And here's a link for the full burger.  

http://thecarousel.com/recipes/entertaining-wine/mr-hongs-lotus-cheeseburger/

That makes sense thanks. It still sounds fatty, but try it. That meat is still fatty and marbled especially grain fed. I think I'd try different grinds of the fat added starting with 5%.

Not so good picture . . . but, very good burger:

Toasted bun
Swiss cheese
Medium rare burger
Sauteed mushrooms (in butter and wayrights apple/cherry salt and buddy's Aleppo powder)
Ham - cooked in the burger drippings
Buddy's Dijon style mushroom
Mayo

DSC_0946.JPG

Oohhhh YyEeAaHh!!

Look at that dead sexy mustard ... and my favorite mustard is any with mayo!

Beyond that, smoked salt is my crush right meow ... used some tonight here, actually - applewood smoked salt!

CHEERS!

buddy said:
Not so good picture . . . but, very good burger:

Toasted bun
Swiss cheese
Medium rare burger
Sauteed mushrooms (in butter and wayrights apple/cherry salt and buddy's Aleppo powder)
Ham - cooked in the burger drippings
Buddy's Dijon style mushroom
Mayo

attachicon.gif
DSC_0946.JPG

That ain't my burger but I appreciate it long time.

On another note........

Bestest burger I ever ate was chuck roast I ground mysef', then smashed with thin onions on a squishy cheapass bun.

No mustard, ketchup, mayo, or other sheeit.

Not even cheese.

True story.

ok..  I noticed this thread had dropped to pg 10 .. that is unacceptable..  There is some serious problems in THP land when burgers are falling off the list.   

I will take the bullet and endure scorn and ridicule as per rule 5 of the thread and post a  restaurant burger .     Peno's, chipoltle mayo, banana peppers, Hotter than hell sauce( more like somewhat spicy purgatory) cheddar scheeze,  fresh ground  beef and an egg..    Barking squirrel amber lager 

G2H4SzC.jpg

omh9F2Z.jpg

You can always tell by that plastic wrinkle look lol.

Back