• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

CahJohn & the '10'

I personally like the Fatalli pepper more than Habs or any other pepper for that matter...

Fatalli Fire,The Fatalli puree,and Talon....are all staples in my fridge...and one of those 3 go on almost every meal I have...

I also think Fatalli fire is hotter than 10.

i haven't tried much of it just by itself. normally i'll pour drops of it into soup or chili and give it a good stir. adds noticeable heat and doesn't alter the flavor very much at all.

I plan to get some 10 and maybe some Z next month based on general opinion and reviews I've seen, particularly Nick's @ HSB.

Query though...if I buy from a reseller like say, sweatnspice, does that take away from his profit margins? Reason I wonder is my fam has been in retail for a long time and I understand retail markup vs wholesale.

Problem is, I'm on a fixed income and can only afford like one or two purchases a month of that kind.

Hate to cheap on a great sauce, but I iz da poor...;)

-Q

hey BAN - let me know how you go with Cajohn's (delivery time and shipping costs) as I may put in an order for some fatalii puree in the not too distant future.

chilliman64 said:
hey BAN - let me know how you go with Cajohn's (delivery time and shipping costs) as I may put in an order for some fatalii puree in the not too distant future.

Will do...hell I probably owe you a jar.

imaguitargod said:
I think I'm the only one to fidn his Black Mamba sauce as displeasent. I felt it did have a bit of that bitter taste.

Black Mamba tastes like crap. It's not a "clean tasting" extract sauce as stated above. All you can taste is extract. I hate extract taste.
There's a few other smoother tasting sauces made right here in Canada. Mother Of All Hot Sauces, Uncle Big's Killer Hot Sauce and his new one Uncle Big's Serial Killer.
They at least attempted to combine a flavour balance with the extract. I think they've done well. In small quantities, very small for me, they are great tasting sauces.

bentalphanerd said:
I know, I know, we've visited this fine sauce a few times before but I need some advice.

This sauce is sooo good, the flavor/heat is so well balanced that you can almost pick out all of the peppers individually.

It is my favorite sauce bar none.

I need to order up some more but with postage being what it is, I thought I'd get a few of his other products in the parcel.

If you were getting 3 CaJohn products aside from '10' what would you get? (hot -> extreme only please)

Thanks

Here's my suggestion for 3 more of the CaJohn products that are well balanced, with intense heat and flavor, without the extract crap taste that the extract based sauces have.

1. Fatalii Fire...Heavy Fatalii flavor, sharp burn.
2. Talon...Very nice mix of Red Savina and Fatalli, burn lingers.
3. Lethal Ingestion...Delayed, but very intense burn that builds, and makes you wonder if your mouth will ever be the same again.

These suggestions are based on my experience, using a teaspoon of each.

Oh I've just been terrorizing the high seas. You know the usual pirate kind of fun. Plunder'n, fight'n, drink'n, beat'n the crew, etc...Hope the Ohio crew is treat'n you well. Maybe we'll get to meet at JJ's in August. I'm hoping to make it there this year.

Thanks CAP.

Im not a fan of extract at all, i probably should have mentioned that in the first post.

Those 3 look like being what i'll get and another bottle of 10 of course.

Keep in mind that there is an entire 10 line now. The 10 salsa is fantastic and I here the 10 wing sauce is great as well. Li is nice!!! real hot with no nasty extract taste.

bentalphanerd said:
Thanks CAP.Im not a fan of extract at all, i probably should have mentioned that in the first post.
Those 3 look like being what i'll get and another bottle of 10 of course.

If you were getting 3 CaJohn products aside from '10' what would you get? (hot -> extreme only please)

I have no clue how to do the multi quote thing, but the top quote is your latest comment, and the second one is part of your first. You can't get extreme heat without a cap sauce. The hottest non cap sauce hits 8 out of 10 on my heat scale. None of the cap sauces will win any flavour awards ( Sorry The Heat - I have Serial Killer, and it gets the same rating as Mamba - awesome heat, acceptable flavour ).

Talon falls below many of my non cap sauces, and it does not taste as good a many of them. Biggest letdown I have had in a sauce in a long time. Do a taste test with your new batch, and with what you have, but for me, Talon falls into the 7 out of 10 rating, on both heat and flavour...

Please note, I am not faulting your order ( please review the Lethal Ingestion ), but if it was me, I would have dumped the Talon, and gotten two 10's...

bentalphanerd said:
so where does 10 fit on your heat scale?

what this means to me is, if I splash a number of drops onto a slice of pizza, I will get a mild sweat and will likely need to have a drink while I eat. By comparison, Vicious Viper is a 9. As I noted on another thread a while back, I doused some pizza with it, as I thought it was milder than it was. I was able to eat it, but I was sweating a lot and needed a drink after almost every bite. Bomb or Dave's or Mamba is a 10 for me, as splashing them on would make the food inedible ( for me anyways ).

My favourite heat level is 9. Edible, but painful. So for me, the only way to get the great flavour and my preferred heat, is to mix a sauce like 10 with an extract.

That said, everyone's taste is personal - you may wind up loving Talon like many who reviewed it highly. It just didn't do the trick for me though.

Cheers.

Ken

Hot Canuck said:

what this means to me is, if I splash a number of drops onto a slice of pizza, I will get a mild sweat and will likely need to have a drink while I eat. By comparison, Vicious Viper is a 9. As I noted on another thread a while back, I doused some pizza with it, as I thought it was milder than it was. I was able to eat it, but I was sweating a lot and needed a drink after almost every bite. Bomb or Dave's or Mamba is a 10 for me, as splashing them on would make the food inedible ( for me anyways ).

My favourite heat level is 9. Edible, but painful. So for me, the only way to get the great flavour and my preferred heat, is to mix a sauce like 10 with an extract.

That said, everyone's taste is personal - you may wind up loving Talon like many who reviewed it highly. It just didn't do the trick for me though.

Cheers.

Ken

I love Viper. It's my standby sauce. I'm actually getting really brave with it. When I started using it years ago, I'd use 2 drops in my meal. Now I'm using about a spoonful per piece of pizza.

I know its an "extract sauce," but it's really got a good flavor. It has just the very tiniest "extract" taste, but for the heat I find its absolutely acceptable. A normal human being couldn't taste the extract through the heat and the other flavors. I need to pick up a bottle of 10 to try it. I was hoping it would be hotter than Viper, but it sounds like it might not...

I have 10 and Fatelli puree in my opinion I think the Fatelli is hotter and flavor is alllllll fatelli. Lethal ingestion is on sale in 2oz test batches for 15$US on the site so I would try that (because of curiousity). Some of the Gourmet sauces look good to like the serrano lime.

I like the Fatelli, but it's flavour is so unique that to me it does not mix well with all of my other sauces. The last few times I used it was on nachos, and I mixed it with Danny Cash's Anger Management. I did not like it with Viper or Black Mamba.

Your absolutely right HC about the Fatelli -- I havent found really anything that it goes with I tend to mix it with the 10 and the last time was on stuffed cabbage and it worked out well with the tomatoes in it

Back