• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Can the Hottest Peppers In the World Kill You?

Sooo, hot stuff is getting more public, had to laugh at some of the comments -
http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/10/17/1358244/can-the-hottest-peppers-in-the-world-kill-you?utm_source=rss1.0moreanon&utm_medium=feed

Sooo, hot stuff is getting more public, had to laugh at some of the comments -
http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/10/17/1358244/can-the-hottest-peppers-in-the-world-kill-you?utm_source=rss1.0moreanon&utm_medium=feed
LOL talk about over dramatization. Some one who was actauly there tells how it was nothing more than a curtasy ride from the ambulance driver to get some alkaselzer....sort off

"Before anything else - this is my favourite local Indian Restaurant. Been eating there for a few years now and will continue to do so.

Secondly, 'several ambulances'? People 'writhing on the floor, fainting and vomiting'? Here's what actually happened:

Restaurant holds a curry-eating competition. Top of the list in the later rounds is the 'Kismot Killer', a curry that recently replaced a naga-based one, as too many people were finishing it easily. Anyway, if you order a killer, the restaurant staff will do everything in their power to put you off - there's warnings all over the place and you have to sign a disclaimer before eating it. If you *really* insist on eating the damn thing, you can't say you weren't warned. But anyway. So two people get to the later stages (one American, FWIW) and one of them has the bright idea of vomiting immediately after eating so as to avoid the after-effects. The other continues eating *despite being in pain and feeling faint*. I mean, seriously? So despite having the red cross present (it was a charity event), they got an ambulance to take these two to hospital for safety. The hospital gave them strong anti-indigestion medication and kicked them out.

Short version - idiots did idiotic things, complained that they shouldn't have to have any personal responsibility when the inevitable happened.
"

Of course they can. So can water if you over dose.

Possible yes but think about this. Pepper sprays are 1.5 to 4 times higher in concentration (Police Grade Pepper Spray 5,300,000 and Common Pepper Spray 2,000,000 Scoville Units)then the current record holding pepper and its very rare someone dies from contact or ingestion of it. Back in the day and probably still today some military and police training require the trainees to take direct sprays to the face and sometimes mouth of it.

You'd need bad tolerance or medical concern if this were to be possible, but it is possible.
Heart conditions, poor stomach/liver health, asthma ect all contribute. After you eat really hot foods and peppers, much of this becomes not applicable because you are far more educated, you can't hyperventilate in fear of how hot something is, like the first time you ever have a habanero. You learn to calm down, breath easier...

However if you have poor stomach/liver health, and it's not sealed up on the inside of your stomach. high doses of capsaicin will result in cancer - again, if you are in pretty good health then after you start you have no fear for trinidad hot foods and your life.

Lot of variables, health is the primary thing. If you can't tolerate anything for crap, you have a bad stomach, asthma maybe and certainly blood pressure issues then it can potentially kill you, this is simply a bad set of circumstances and ideally should never happen, people that can't handle hot foods frequently never go near hot foods.

Peppers can't keel-ya...

But I do feel sorry for people with "acid reflux" or "scarring of the Esophagus", pretty common among men nowadays.....use to be scarring of the lungs.........hmmm

On a different note.
Although a tomato won't kill you either, it can be painful for some...
My neighbor loves tomatoes but he suffers from "Diverticulits"...so I'll grow some extra super roma's or san marzano's for him, there's only two seed cavities in those and they're pretty easy to clean out with a spoon.
Can't beat the taste of a vine ripened tomato

some military and police training require the trainees to take direct sprays to the face and sometimes mouth of it.

Sir!, Thank You!, Sir!...may I have another?

Its already been said, but basically everything is toxic at certain levels. Also people with severe asthma, heart problems, or breathing problems can have very bad, even fatal reactions to hot peppers

I like how the article warns of not eating 3 lbs. of peppers. What an insane amount of peppers to even consider as a fatal dose. I often wonder where the "experts" come up with the sh*t they spew.

I like how the article warns of not eating 3 lbs. of peppers. What an insane amount of peppers to even consider as a fatal dose. I often wonder where the "experts" come up with the sh*t they spew.

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere, some masochist with a PhD is stuffing lab rats full of Butch T's. :hell:

I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere, some masochist with a PhD is stuffing lab rats full of Butch T's. :hell:

:rofl: You almost made me fall out of my chair. Got the image of some dude in a lab coat and gloves shoving peppers up the rats like stuffing a turkey. "Sorry Pinky, this will hurt you a lot more than it hurts me. MUAHAHAHA"

The rat thing reminds me of this label !!

pic1.jpg

Anyone who has eaten superhots on an empty stomach knows yah you will probaly get cramps.
And my pepper bro from work vomits and cramps on an empty stomach.
These people most likely had empty stomachs in hopes of eating more.
The ambulances were a combination of panic and publicly.
Think .......that restraunt is known world wide now.

As far as acid reflux heart burn ect I get extremely bad heartburn and acid reflux that will wake me up choking
In the wee hours of the night. Medication helped for a while and lost its effect.
Here is the kicker when if I have heartbeat and eat a superhot my stomach feels weird for 20 mins or so
No pain no cramps just wierd then it changes into what I call CLEAN TUMY syndrome.
I now am heartburn free for most of the day/night.

Also universitys have been doing research on capsaicin and cancer.
They believe it fights certian types of cancer.

According to Paracelcus, "All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison." That was the first day of toxicology class. :D

The LD50, or the body concentration in which 50% of a population will die from the dose is 47.2 mg/kg. Using a 70 kg adult would render a total amount of 3.304 g of Capsaicin :onfire:. I think that would be very impossible to reach without vomiting profusely. The LD50 of caffeine is 150-200 mg/kg roughly. We would need to have a estimate of the amount of capsaicin in a pepper to calculate how many peppers you could theoretically eat.

I dont know

Would you eat 1 pounds of barbeque smoked Nagas? 1 pound of filet of Butch scorpions? with a side pound of carne Red Savina asada?

Just wanted to comment about asthma and hot pepper consumption. I can't see eating a hot pepper as causing an asthma attack, unless there was some allergic reaction involved. I have asthma, and here is what I have found. It is not the eating of the pepper that causes a problem. It is the breathing of the vapors. I have learned not to put the stems, seeds, or any other discarded part of a hot pepper down the garbage disposal. As soon as the warm water hits the pepper refuse, vapors are released. I have coughed to the point of feeling like I would vomit! However, I can eat those same peppers with no adverse reaction. I haven't tried the superhots yet, but if I do, I may have to wear a mask while prepping them.

My asthma would probably be considered mild, or moderate on a really bad day, so maybe the experience would be different for those with severe asthma.

Possible yes but think about this. Pepper sprays are 1.5 to 4 times higher in concentration (Police Grade Pepper Spray 5,300,000 and Common Pepper Spray 2,000,000 Scoville Units)then the current record holding pepper and its very rare someone dies from contact or ingestion of it. Back in the day and probably still today some military and police training require the trainees to take direct sprays to the face and sometimes mouth of it.

I am in the military and have been sprayed 6 times (a requirement). I can tell you it sucks really really bad and I do not think you build up a wall against it. The burn lasts for around an hour. It seems like nothing you can do will cool you down other than the cool open air.

Best way I describe to those that have not been hit before is go watch a candle melt, that is what your face, eyes, mouth will feel like.

Also another thing when you think you have weathered the effects of the spray and you go take a shower and allow the water to get to your private parts....yeah the burn starts all over.

Back