• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Candice's 2010/2011 grow season

Hi all

Well this season I would have to say has been my worst season yet mainly due to extremely hot weather (the hottest it has been on record for over 33yrs and no rain for like 2 months). Unfortunately it was the year that I also decided to grow the most. So results are not what I expected but thought I would share some photos of the best outcomes so far.

I decided to grow about 1,000 for plant sales through my business Wildfire Chilli (all sold out now), about 500 plants at an organic farm for fruit for my products (sauces, dried chillies, purees ec) and to offer some for sale to customers and as well as my own garden for pleasure and also other plants at home with isolation tents for seed sales.

Here are some pics from my home garden to start with.

7 Pot
IMG_2484.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Cardi Yellow
trinidadscorpionCardiunripe.jpg

Douglah
douglahunripe.jpg

Yellow Bhut Jolokia
yellowbhuts.jpg

yellowandgreenbhut.jpg

There are also heaps of pics on my Facebook page Wildfire Chilli facebook

I had a big infestation of spidermites which completely defoliated my plants leaves. It was too hot for me to go outside and spray so they are pretty much gonners now.
Bummer! After battling mites myself the last two seasons, I can say from experience that MITES SUCK ASS!!!

My war was with broad mites and they absolutely destroyed a handful of my plants and severely damaged a handful of others. I had them under control for a while there (only because I resorted to chemicals - something I swore I would never do!) but ended up losing the battle when we had the floods here and I had my hands tied for a couple weeks.

That sucks. This was the first time I had mites, usually just get aphids.
At the start of the season I tried controlling all the bad insects with predatory insects to avoid using chemicals. Because I had to wait a couple of weeks to use them (wait to be delivered then choose right time to release) they were already out of control. The ones I was using prefer temps in the late 20's but at the time we were having over 30 most of the time so I think that killed them. So then after that I had to spray. I first tried using a natural spray which didn't have any clear instructions and the next day the couple of plants I sprayed and lost most of their leaves and gone a dark green. So I decided not to use that again. So I used my some neem oil which is great stuff but way too expensive for the amount of plants I have so ended up going with trusty Confidor in the end.
Now I think I might have thrips as well, also had mealy bugs, but most of my plants are pretty much gone atm so will just give everything a good soak in the next few days.

Yeah, I was on and off with the Neem but like you said, it can become quite costly! Also, due to a possum problem I have here, I am growing most of my plants at an alternate location 30mins drive away (each way) and don't have the time to put in the extra effort required for natural solutions so I resorted to the systemic chemical miticide Rogor. Even though it was working like a charm, it still requires reapplications every few weeks and at one stage, I didn't even have the time for that! I also backed off too once my plants started to produce.... I may have given in to using the stuff in the first place but there was no way I was going to use it when my plants were actually podding!

As soon as my few remaining pods ripen, I'm gonna hit all the plants I plan to overwinter again with Rogor and go from there. Hopefully that will keep the little shits at bay over winter and give me time to come up with a better attack plan for next season (which hopefully will NOT involve such strong chemicals!).

We use Rogor at my other job (wholesale native nursery) but I haven't looked at the box. With Confidor it usually gets everything first time round if not def second time round and only has a 1 day waiting period - although I always wait as long as I can, at least a week.

:think: Hmmm, in that case, Confidor might we worth a shot next season!

I actually passed it over on the shelf because I read somewhere it was "soft" on predatory mites so I just assumed it would be the same for the nasty kind of mites? I guess though that predatory mites aren't actually feeding off the plant.

Looking awesome there Candice.
That CGN21500 looks very interesting, will have to get me some seed sometime :)
Good to see some poddage action, mine are just forming Peppers now but a bit bloody late!
As you know we have been hammered with Aphids, Whitefly, Mealybug, Spider mite and I think some other mites just to make it worse and also the 40 Deg.C heat. Been trying to keep on the natural path but decided to nuke their butts a couple of weeks ago with Confidor(like you recommended) and I’m starting to get new nice looking growth coming back on them. Pitty it’s too late now! Man I’m over this natural stuff!!!! Bugger the Ladybirds they had their chance for 3 years!

How was the Goronong? Hope it was tasty.

Micca

Great pics! I got to see where that delicious hot sauce comes from :cool:

Shame your season wasn't so good. If it makes you feel better I bought my seeds from you and thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey from seed to big fat pods. I can't wait to see what seeds go on sale from this season!

:think: Hmmm, in that case, Confidor might we worth a shot next season!

I actually passed it over on the shelf because I read somewhere it was "soft" on predatory mites so I just assumed it would be the same for the nasty kind of mites? I guess though that predatory mites aren't actually feeding off the plant.
Well for aphids it works wonders! Have only used it once on the mites as it is the first time I got them. Going to do a drench on all my plants this weekend so will let you know how it goes with the mites.

+1 on the confidor

Awesome stuff, never lets me down. I just hope that the pest don't get too used to it and become immune because I have been using it for a few years now which is why I tried the other sprays and natural options for a bit so they wouldn't build up a tolerance.

Looking awesome there Candice.
That CGN21500 looks very interesting, will have to get me some seed sometime :)
Good to see some poddage action, mine are just forming Peppers now but a bit bloody late!
As you know we have been hammered with Aphids, Whitefly, Mealybug, Spider mite and I think some other mites just to make it worse and also the 40 Deg.C heat. Been trying to keep on the natural path but decided to nuke their butts a couple of weeks ago with Confidor(like you recommended) and I’m starting to get new nice looking growth coming back on them. Pitty it’s too late now! Man I’m over this natural stuff!!!! Bugger the Ladybirds they had their chance for 3 years!

How was the Goronong? Hope it was tasty.

Micca
Yeah the CGN was quite cool, will be selling those seeds but don't worry have some saved for you ;)
Glad you are finally getting some pods! Yeah the natural stuff is ideal but way too time consuming and not very effective sometimes. As long as you choose when you spray and don't do it every week or use extreme chemicals I think you should be fine.

Bit disappointed with the Goronong. Don't know if it was cos the plants did so crap and only got 3 pods that the flavour wasn't there? Perhaps they needed to be healthier to produce good flavour?

Death to all enemy pests ha ha ha

:twisted: Yes DEATH to them all!!! :mad: DIE
Great pics! I got to see where that delicious hot sauce comes from :cool:

Shame your season wasn't so good. If it makes you feel better I bought my seeds from you and thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey from seed to big fat pods. I can't wait to see what seeds go on sale from this season!
Oh cool thanks for your feedback, glad they produced well for you, yes it does make me feel a little better :cool: . Yes will have a few more varieties but not as many as I hoped unfortunately.Keep an eye out on my newsletter that I send through the website or check facebook time to time. Will update when they are available.

A bit of a shame with the Goronong. Maybe the crap weather can have an effect, will have to see next season now.
Has Adam tried one of those Brain Strains, Mmmm they look nasty!!

Cheers with the CGN :cool: It's a nice looking plant.

Micca

Yeah we will see.
I only grabbed 2 pods whilst taking photos at the farm, the farmer was meeting me the next day with what he had picked but to my disappointment he didn't pick any brain strains! So we just had a tiny little try. Nice and hot! :hell:
No worries.

By the way Brain Strains and Morugas are the same this is what Cappy wrote to me when I said I couldnt see the difference back 2 seasons ago when I said I couldnt save seed as the part of the farm I was growing on had a soil disease...
Pepper Ridge Farm

Smokin' Hot
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 2,506 posts
  • Throwdown Crowns:
    throwdowncrown.png
    (x2)

Sent 10 April 2011 - 01:44 AM
Candice your right about there also beiong TS Morouga in that mix. I have grown all three in the same year side by side and I cannot tell any difference by just appearance, but do know the Brain Strains had more visible oil and placenta inside. I can send true brain strain to you this year as I started some seeds from 2008 hoping of finding another seed plant. If you like those pods I would save seed from the healthiest unaffected pods and feel confident starting a new. I agree they are all very similiar and very well could be one in the same. Take care. -Cappy
BrAiN sTrAiN 7 Pod
"I'm not really sweating, it's just pouring out of my eyes"

Why not just include the whole PM Candice and let everybody see you and Jim are working together. So Candice please tell me what you are now selling on your website as Moruga Scorpion is really the Brain Strain or TS Morouga Blend? You had it labeled as Brain Strain/Moruga Scorpion before you changed it to just say Moruga Scorpion. I find it very odd that you say that you didn't share any of this seed with you best friend Jim, and I also don't believe the soil disease thing it is all just part of the cover-up. The way I see it is either the Brain Strain is alive and well on your farm Candice and you shared seed with Jim OR Jim pre-sold you a bunch of Moruga Scorpion seed to grow and sell before anybody else and before the CPI test results? Here is the PM from last April...

My Brain Strain Plants

Wildfire Chilli Australia

Smokin' Hot
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 1,515 posts
Sent 08 April 2011 - 07:17 PM
Hi Cappy how are you going?
As you could see I managed to get your seeds up and to fruit. Very impressed with them. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind?
My Moruga Scorpions died so I didn't get a chance to compare them and my 7 Pot SR strain hasn't fruited yet but to me the pics I see they all look very similar. If you have grown these do you know the differences between the 3?
jim Duffy is also saying to me and insisting that they are Moruga Scorpions and that you had mentioned in previous posts on THP that they could be. Is this true?
Just wondering cos I can't save any seed from my plants as the soil at the farm may have a disease and I don't want to then grow them again next season and spread the disease in the new location when I have some seeds of these other types.
Anyway thanks for letting me pick your brain (no pun intended ha ha) and have a good weekend.

Candice
www.wildfirechilli.com.au Superhot seeds, plants,growing equipment, pods, sauces & more...
www.heatseekerschilli.com.au Superhot sauces, powders, pickles, purees,seasonings & pods.Try "Incinerator" 7 Pod & 16 million Pure Capsaicin Extreme Sauce. 3rd Place Scovie Awards 2012
Pepper Ridge Farm

Smokin' Hot
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 2,506 posts
Sent 09 April 2011 - 12:44 PM
Candice your right about there also beiong TS Morouga in that mix. I have grown all three in the same year side by side and I cannot tell any difference by just appearance, but do know the Brain Strains had more visible oil and placenta inside. I can send true brain strain to you this year as I started some seeds from 2008 hoping of finding another seed plant. If you like those pods I would save seed from the healthiest unaffected pods and feel confident starting a new. I agree they are all very similiar and very well could be one in the same. Take care. -Cappy
7 Pod Brain Strain™

Smokin' Hot
Sent 09 April 2011 - 06:41 PM
Hi cappy

Thanks for your response. I haven't really read any threads on the brain strain or know much about the background, just seen cool looking pics, but if you can be bothered telling me how did you come across them and why are they trademarked as Brain Strain? I'm not questioning you at all just interested to know the background about them as I think they are pretty special. :)

If you do have spare seed, I would love to grow them again. Is there anything that you are after? I could do a trade with you.

Kind Regards

Candice
www.wildfirechilli.com.au Superhot seeds, plants,growing equipment, pods, sauces & more...
www.heatseekerschilli.com.au Superhot sauces, powders, pickles, purees,seasonings & pods.Try "Incinerator" 7 Pod & 16 million Pure Capsaicin Extreme Sauce. 3rd Place Scovie Awards 2012
Pepper Ridge Farm

Smokin' HotSent 09 April 2011 - 10:08 PM
No problem Candice. Received seed in trade from Bowhunter for 7 Pod who received seed from SR in Trinidad. Had this one plant that was just different than the others and started a grow log with pics on it's first pods cause they looked so cool. I said how it looked like a brain right away and the brain strain name was used to follow the seed distribution. It is the same as SR 7 Pod just a differnt pod variation is all. I take no credit other than maybe selective breeding or being able to grow pretty peppers and just got lucky with seed. Happy to share more seed with you anytime, take care.
7 Pod Brain Strain™

Smokin' Hot
Sent 09 April 2011 - 10:35 PM
Thats great thanks for clearing it up. I like to know the background to stuff I grow and I did think that they looked very similar to the 7 Pod SR strain and Jim kept saying to me he thought they were Moruga Scorpions, so its good to know.
Well what I might do next season is grow all 3 and have a look at the differences for myself. I don't really want to grow those ones from the farm because of possible disease so if I can grab some seeds off you that would be great.
I wouldn't mind growing a large amount for fruit so if you sell the seeds and want to make some extra cash I would like to buy some, I can paypal you, but if you don't I'm happy with just a few to do my experiments with.

[Removed Personal Information]

Cheers

Candice
Pepper Ridge Farm

Smokin' HotSent 09 April 2011 - 11:01 PM
I have only enough to share normal packet size. Can you be patient and let me grow some pods for seed as I have already shared a bunch and am low right now. I have some but would feel better sharing seed from fruit this season. Why does Jim Duffy want to discredit ther brain strain? I was the first to say they are similiar, probably too similiar for one to be a 7 Pod and other a Scorpion but it is what it is. I actually like eating a Morouga Red but the Brain is nothing but pure pain.
7 Pod Brain Strain™

Smokin' Hot
Sent 09 April 2011 - 11:19 PM
Yeah that's ok, I wasn't sure how many you had. To get mine ready for the upcoming season I usually like to germinate them around July. The latest i could probably do would be about October.
I have some of the other types though so can always grow them and wait till the following season again, so that's cool.

Hmm not sure why he was saying that. i had pics on my Facebook page and he started saying that they looked just like Morugas and was I sure that they weren't. I said I hadn't got fruit off my other plants and that this was a mix so i couldn't be 100% sure but thought they looked like brain strains and that most of the seeds were meant to be. He then said that he did a search on THP and that you said that even you weren't sure if they were a moruga scorp etc. I don't think he meant it in a bad way and I do talk to him quite often it just came up in conversation so I just wanted to get the facts from the right person rather than just take someones word for it.

Anyway it's all good don't worry. I think it's great that you are willing to share them with everyone and they are one of the coolest peppers I have grown. I just love all the bumps on them, just like the yellow 7 pot.

Take care

Candice

I typed stuff, but really don't care enough to post it, so self edited (it's a handy skill that you both should learn. Why bring this up again Candice?). Good luck you two.

Pablo I bring this up here because he has a link on his website to it right here and it is defamatory to me and this is the only way I can respond to people looking at it since he wont take it off his website. I have no idea what Cappy's problem is and why he is insisting that I have shared seeds with Jim. I have nothing to do with Jim and the CPI testing and didnt even know about it until a few months ago. Even then Jim didn't know what was going to come out as the hottest. He had a bunch of different superhots they were testing not just the Moruga and went to a gala dinner where it was announced. All I can think of is that Cappy is jealous that Jim has gotten fame about the Moruga and for some reason he thinks it is the Brain Strain seeds he sent me, WHICH I HAVE NOT SHARED WITH A SINGLE SOUL. I even had someone on Facebook ask me last year if I could share seed and I told them the same thing.
Why would I say way back in April last year that my plants had a disease and I was not saving seed, how could I look into the future a year especially when I had no idea that a test was going to happen.
Cappy you labelled the seeds as a mix and we guessed at what it was because you said you cant tell the difference. I told you I had the others as seed and will grow them out but no more BS. You said you couldn't help me till later and then i didnt hear back.

Just get over yourself and stop making up little stories in your head. I know you would have spent a lot of money for the trademark so you must be annoyed that everyone is telling you they are the same thing because now you have wasted your money. I asked your permission if I could sell pods from the 2010/2011 season as I had a bag of dried ones and you said fine as long as I dont sell seed. I said no problem sold them and now the Morugas I am selling are from 2012 season not your 2010 seed.
I will not comment on this anymore but would appreciate you not putting my personal home address on the internet for everyone to see and will ask a mod to remove it.
There is enough room in the industry for everyone and there is no need for all of this, you sell your BS and we will sell our Moruga. You are just upset with me because you wanted me to say in anither thread that they are different strains and I said I can't tell the difference. I think Brain Strain stands for B.S!
Once again I ask you to remove your allegations off your website.

Back