• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Candied Jalapenos & Habaneros

Been busy processing my peppers since I had to pick them all do to frost. I was candying some today and I decided to take some pics & vids and share my simple recipes for it.

First the Jalapenos.

Jalapenos_bag.JPG

They are fair sized for Jalapenos.

Jalapenos_size.JPG

First thing we need is to get the sugar going. I'm using white cane sugar(Sucrose) so I really want to invert it so I'll have fructose, and glucose.
Which are simpler sugars ,sweeter tasting ,and much better are preserving our peppers.

sugar.JPG

Here I have 3 cups white sugar, 2 cups water ,2 table spoons apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
You can substitute practically any food grade acid you want for the vinegar. Lemon and or lime juice also
work great. But it can't be skipped it(Plus heat) is what catalyzes the inversion. You will what to bring the
mixture to a boil, and let it simmer about 30 minutes. If the bubbles start to become "larger" during the
30 minutes then drip some more water in., but not enough to stop the simmer.

(I used about 3 pounds of whole Jalapenos)
Ok while that's simmer you should slice your jalapenos. As you candy them they are going to shrink a lot.
So you will want to cut them fairly thick.

Jalapenos_cut_thick.JPG

Before you add your peppers to the hot sugar be sure to boil it till the bubbles start to become "larger".
Once you add the peppers the sugar will stop boiling and become very luquidy.

Add_peppers.JPG

Only add enough of the peppers to so that the top is out of the sugar. Like the picture above. As the sugar boils the bubbles will get large enough to
cover more of the peppers add the rest as it "raises"

This is what it should look like while it's cooking, but before it's done.

Jalapenos cooking

While+cooking.JPG

You will know when it's done when the sugars "texture" changes like shown below.

They're ready

Jalapenos_done.JPG

And some close ups on the the candied peppers texture after-wards.

Texture_01.JPG

Texture_02.JPG

Ok that's all for the jalapenos, I'm going to reply to this post with the Habaneros.

it's not that complicated. 

Different options-

Give the jars a quick rinse to remove dust/etc, then arrange jars in a roasting pan.  Put said pan and jars in a 250F~ish oven for 30 minutes.  This kills nasties and gets the jars hot and ready for filling. 
Grab a jar, fill it with candied goodies,
quick wiggle with a knife or chopstick for the bubbles,
top off with syrup
wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth
lid/cap and off you go~

Using StarSan or other sanitizers is also fine. 
But I would still heat the jars in the oven to help with the sealing process.  If the heated candies are placed in COLD jars, it may be cool enough to cool all the stuff and not get a good vacuum/seal.  If the heated chiles are put into warmed jars and sealed with warmed lids,there is a much better chance that everything will seal properly when the jar cools.

This whole discussion is in regards to just hot packing the peppers and not doing a BWB.  If you want to skip the BWB, then I would suggest doing the other items of using sanitizing wash (can be a simple as a bleach water rinse) , HEATED jars etc. 

Or just put the candied pretties in jars and give 'em a BWB. 

BWB is really really simple and is probably only 30 minutes more added to the whole time it takes to make this stuff...

SL

For sure, good tips, and yeah I'm very familiar with BWB and pressure canning, just was wondering what I can and can't get away with in regards to *certain* recipes :) would heating woozies before HFH be advantageous for the same reasons you listed above?
salsalady said:
it's not that complicated. 

Different options-

Give the jars a quick rinse to remove dust/etc, then arrange jars in a roasting pan.  Put said pan and jars in a 250F~ish oven for 30 minutes.  This kills nasties and gets the jars hot and ready for filling. 
Grab a jar, fill it with candied goodies,
quick wiggle with a knife or chopstick for the bubbles,
top off with syrup
wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth
lid/cap and off you go~

Using StarSan or other sanitizers is also fine. 
But I would still heat the jars in the oven to help with the sealing process.  If the heated candies are placed in COLD jars, it may be cool enough to cool all the stuff and not get a good vacuum/seal.  If the heated chiles are put into warmed jars and sealed with warmed lids,there is a much better chance that everything will seal properly when the jar cools.

This whole discussion is in regards to just hot packing the peppers and not doing a BWB.  If you want to skip the BWB, then I would suggest doing the other items of using sanitizing wash (can be a simple as a bleach water rinse) , HEATED jars etc. 

Or just put the candied pretties in jars and give 'em a BWB. 

BWB is really really simple and is probably only 30 minutes more added to the whole time it takes to make this stuff...

SL
Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

So both products are equally effective then? Really wanna get into homebrewing now that I've been getting down with all the pepper ferments! I see that the starsan is a much more concentrated product and that is mentions "foaming action" which helps clean cracks and crevices but also requires more drainage..
Rajun Gardener said:
Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Cowboy Candy.

AKA Bread & Butter style Jalapenos.

Sanitize jars.

Butt rocket and slice.

4 pounds of fresh xalapas.

IMG_1990.JPG

Whir and stir.

And boil and toil.

6 pounds of sugar.

3 cups of white vinegar.

2 T's of mustard seed.

1 T of tumeric.

1 T of kosher salt.

1 T of chile flakes from parts unknown.

IMG_1991.JPG

Toss in the xalapas.

And stir.

Give it about 5 to 7 minutes.

Load into jars.

Then boil and reduce the remaining liquid for 10 minutes.

Top off the jars.

Leave about a 1/4" of headspace.

Top and water bath for 15 minutes.

IMG_1992.JPG

4 pounds yields about 5 1/2 pints.

I wished I had added a pound of julienned onion too.

Oh well.

I'll sit on these for at least 2 weeks before trying.

A month would be better.

A jar each to my sister and dear sweet ma.

HEB still has fresh jalapenos for .69 cents a pound.

I need to double up and do an 8 pound batch.

Texas ono grinds.

Chingaloha!

Looks good TB!!!

Next time try= No adding peppers to liquid and NO water bath. Add peppers to the jar and fill with not syrup, clean the rim and seal them up to let cool. It's called the kettle method and works great. They'll stay firm a little longer but will eventually end up like the mushy stuff in most stores. Of course they need the fridge after opened.

Trust me on this, it works and won't kill you, most of that water bath stuff is bunk. Our Great Great Grandparents canned this way and we all lived.

Rajun Gardener said:
Looks good TB!!!

Next time try= No adding peppers to liquid and NO water bath. Add peppers to the jar and fill with not syrup, clean the rim and seal them up to let cool. It's called the kettle method and works great. They'll stay firm a little longer but will eventually end up like the mushy stuff in most stores. Of course they need the fridge after opened.

Trust me on this, it works and won't kill you, most of that water bath stuff is bunk. Our Great Great Grandparents canned this way and we all lived.

'Splain me Lucy.

I don't get it.

I cleaned the rim.

No water bath for canning?

RG.

I appreciate you.

And the advice.

And the link.

But I still have to go with the water bath.

My dear sweet ma would slap me for doing any 'thang other.

Nuke it from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure.

Rajon, interesting link that describes the open kettle process. But after the first paragraph, the whole rest of the article is about why the open kettle process is bad, dangerous, and forbidden from all food competitions.

It's frowned upon because of the risk of contamination while pouring the product into the jars. That's the reason to process after filling jars. Try it on your personal stash just to see and let a jar age a year to test it. 

I gotta' go with Ann on this one.

Taste testing the batch from 2 weeks ago this weekend.

If its GTG I'll double up to 8 pounds.

And hit it again.

Canning is an all day 'thang.

Might cut into my fishing time.

I am so torn.

texas blues said:
I gotta' go with Ann on this one.

Taste testing the batch from 2 weeks ago this weekend.

If its GTG I'll double up to 8 pounds.

And hit it again.

Canning is an all day 'thang.

Might cut into my fishing time.

I am so torn.
But just think....one day in the kitchen and you can take them with you fishing for days and days and days.....

I want to axe a question.

Per the candied xalapas.

Apple cider vinegar vs. white?

Difference in taste?

When making hot sauce.

I've used both.

But haven't noticed that much of a difference.

That could be though because I was all over the place.

With carrots, onions, mango, and garlic et. al.

Brown and white sugar.

The candied chiles are much simpler.

What say y'all?

I'm wondering if we are getting "CANDIED" chiles confused with some of these other things which look more like sweet pickled peppers.  Actual candied chiles uses sugar and water and only a couple tablespoons of vinegar.  THese other recipes we've been talking about are more like a sweet vinegar pickle. 

salsalady said:
I'm wondering if we are getting "CANDIED" chiles confused with some of these other things which look more like sweet pickled peppers.  Actual candied chiles uses sugar and water and only a couple tablespoons of vinegar.  THese other recipes we've been talking about are more like a sweet vinegar pickle. 

I dunno'.

They're like bread and butter pickles.

But jalapenos instead of cukes.

I would think they need the vinegar.

But need the sugar.

'Splain me Lucy.

AAAAHHHHhhh! YES!  We do have some confuzzelism. 

The original post for candied peppers is melting cups of sugar with a bit of water, tablespoon vinegar and then long cooking the peppers in the sugar mix until they are candied.  No moisture left.  They can subsequently be BWB in small jam jars for gifts or what have you.

Which is a totally different animal than making bread-n-butter type pickled peppers we've been discussing.  Which are delicious! I've made a version myself and it's been a hit with everyone, but definitely not candied peppers.

From the OP-
Here I have 3 cups white sugar, 2 cups water ,2 table spoons apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt.  You can substitute practically any food grade acid you want for the vinegar. Lemon and or lime juice also work great. But it can't be skipped it(Plus heat) is what catalyzes the inversion. You will want to bring the mixture to a boil, and let it simmer about 30 minutes. If the bubbles start to become "larger" during the 30 minutes then drip some more water in., but not enough to stop the simmer.

Add the sliced peppers and continue to simmer."

DaQatz said:
Ok now for the Habanero. (Also about 3 pounds of peppers)

IMG_0043.JPG

You will need to do the sugar the same as before.

You will want to cut the habanero differently then the jalapenos. Basically you're going to want to just stem and half them. Like below.
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

You don't need to cut off the top in this case. I prefer to leave it on for this recipe because the peppers hold together better this way.

If any of the peppers have dark seeds or placenta.
IMG_0062.JPG

then remove the seeds & placenta. It will make the end product "ugly" if they are left in.

Same as the jalapenos bring the sugar back to boil with larger bubbles. Then add the peppers.

IMG_0066.JPG

Coming back to a boil

Again wait for the sugar to "cover" the peppers like in the video above, and then add the rest.

What they should look like while cooking.

IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

Video of it boiling

When it's done the peppers should be translucent to the point of transparency.
IMG_0077.JPG

Closer up.

IMG_0079.JPG

And that's it. I canned mine after-wards, but it's not needed just stored in the fridge they should last about 8 months. Much longer if you can them.
You can also "powder" them with confectionist sugar, or another powder of choice(Dried powder hab's?) . Though personally I like to keep them
in their own syrup.
With PICS!  We luv pics~~~ ;)

edit- just realized this thread is 9 years old, and still sharing the great wisdom from DaQatz

Back