• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Candied Jalapenos & Habaneros

Been busy processing my peppers since I had to pick them all do to frost. I was candying some today and I decided to take some pics & vids and share my simple recipes for it.

First the Jalapenos.

Jalapenos_bag.JPG

They are fair sized for Jalapenos.

Jalapenos_size.JPG

First thing we need is to get the sugar going. I'm using white cane sugar(Sucrose) so I really want to invert it so I'll have fructose, and glucose.
Which are simpler sugars ,sweeter tasting ,and much better are preserving our peppers.

sugar.JPG

Here I have 3 cups white sugar, 2 cups water ,2 table spoons apple cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
You can substitute practically any food grade acid you want for the vinegar. Lemon and or lime juice also
work great. But it can't be skipped it(Plus heat) is what catalyzes the inversion. You will what to bring the
mixture to a boil, and let it simmer about 30 minutes. If the bubbles start to become "larger" during the
30 minutes then drip some more water in., but not enough to stop the simmer.

(I used about 3 pounds of whole Jalapenos)
Ok while that's simmer you should slice your jalapenos. As you candy them they are going to shrink a lot.
So you will want to cut them fairly thick.

Jalapenos_cut_thick.JPG

Before you add your peppers to the hot sugar be sure to boil it till the bubbles start to become "larger".
Once you add the peppers the sugar will stop boiling and become very luquidy.

Add_peppers.JPG

Only add enough of the peppers to so that the top is out of the sugar. Like the picture above. As the sugar boils the bubbles will get large enough to
cover more of the peppers add the rest as it "raises"

This is what it should look like while it's cooking, but before it's done.

Jalapenos cooking

While+cooking.JPG

You will know when it's done when the sugars "texture" changes like shown below.

They're ready

Jalapenos_done.JPG

And some close ups on the the candied peppers texture after-wards.

Texture_01.JPG

Texture_02.JPG

Ok that's all for the jalapenos, I'm going to reply to this post with the Habaneros.

13 days.

I couldn't help it.

I had to taste 'em.

Bread and Butter.

Canned.

Pickled jalapenos.

With muenster scheeze.

IMG_2030.JPG

Have mercy Miss Percy!!!!

Way bettern' store bought.

Not too sweet.

Normal jalapeno heat.

Super wombat goodern' hell!

I need to get my skinny butt to HEB.

And buy at least another 8 pounds.

And more canning jars.

They call this stuff.

Cowboy Candy.

This sheeit ROCKS!

i soft candied about 300g frozen chocolate habs. they basically turned into a firm preserve/jam. i certainly overstirred them (using too little syrup forced my hand), but i'm wondering if it's even possible to get frozen peppers to come out as solid candy pieces like if you start with fresh peppers.

btw, i inverted with an excess of malic acid. this added tartness that reinforced my 'preserved fruit' impression of the result.

xiNPrWk.jpg

If mine were in that state I would probably use it to make sugar sauces. Make a light simple syrup, tart it up a bit with citrus. A bit of salt, and garlic blend well with the candied peppers. Cook at a low temp for a few to blend the flavors.

Myself.

I would have used fresh for candied.

Freezing and thawing breaks them down.

And gets more of a jam result.

But jam wouldn't be so bad.

sinensis said:
i soft candied about 300g frozen chocolate habs. they basically turned into a firm preserve/jam. i certainly overstirred them (using too little syrup forced my hand), but i'm wondering if it's even possible to get frozen peppers to come out as solid candy pieces like if you start with fresh peppers.

btw, i inverted with an excess of malic acid. this added tartness that reinforced my 'preserved fruit' impression of the result.

xiNPrWk.jpg

Freezing breaks the cell structure, so I would guess it wouldnt work like fresh peppers.

BUMP! cuz i got a request from our local store owner for something similar, had to refresh and compare this recipe to the one requested.

The requested recipe...
3# jalapeno peppers
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
3 tsp garlic granulated (dry, i am assuming)
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Prep jars and lids, rings
Bring vinegar, sugar and seasonings to boil, reduce and simmer 5 minutes.
Add pepper slices, simmer 4 minutes
With slotted spoon, transfer peppers to canning jars
Bring syrup to full rolling boil for 6 minutes
Ladle syrup over peppers, release air, wipe, lid
BWB 10 minutes for 1/2 pint jars

This sounds like Texas Blues' bread and butter peppers.

Btw...why are they called bread and butter when made with cucumbers or peppers? I suppose i could google it....

I will probably make the above recipe and the DaQatz's recipe. I did the candied recipe with red jalapenos years ago.....Beautiful and soooo good! I prefer red or ripe peppers in jams, candied, sweet products.

SL

Had a free afternoon....( not really, i just didnt want to work on taxes...) so i made some Bread and Butter jalapeno using the above recipe
20230727_131048.jpg

20230727_145236.jpg

Then i tried to make DaQatz's recipe for candied jalapenos. Something didnt work.
20230727_140902.jpg

That pan might get pitched. It is soaking right now.

No worries, not going to waste the peppers.
Cold Packed Pickled Peppers!
If I had time to plan the cold pack, it would of includes cauliflower too.
20230727_145300.jpg

The peppers will be in the fridge about a week, then packed into 16oz plastic jars and given away. If produce was thicker, i would leave it up to 2 weeks to make sure the vinegar has permeated everything. This batch has thin slices and small carrot shreds.

Last edited:
Back