• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

Awesome progress CD! Nice to return from holidays (for me ;)) and have so much progress to catch up on! That community plot took some serious effort getting rid of the weeds, that's gotta feel good carrying that huge wheelbarrow outta there! Can't wait to see the plants in the ground and then watch them take off, now that the warmth is finally here to stay (sorta).

Wilds are also looking amazing, those flowers are really super cool!

Exciting times, watching them buds turn to flowers and then to fruits :dance:

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Hey LP! Good to see you back. Hope you had a blast on Holiday and can't wait to catch your next glog update!

In other news, I have this Jalapeno Zapotec plant I've kept small and am using for only isolated seed production. It's had this one pod on it at that's been this size for well over a month I'm sure, just hanging out and being green.  Temps hit 90F at my house today and sure enough suddenly it's half red.  Pretty psyched for seeds and to try it - Big fan of the red Jalaps.

This is my first time growing JZ's.  Seeds were courtesy of the BikeMan.  Open pollinated, but like Tom Petty said, she grew up tall and she grew up right. OK, maybe not tall, but right, and I have three more of these in raised beds for pod production and they'll grow up tall.

20190612%20JZJapRipening.jpg

CaneDog said:
Hey LP! Good to see you back. Hope you had a blast on Holiday and can't wait to catch your next glog update!

In other news, I have this Jalapeno Zapotec plant I've kept small and am using for only isolated seed production. It's had this one pod on it at that's been this size for well over a month I'm sure, just hanging out and being green.  Temps hit 90F at my house today and sure enough suddenly it's half red.  Pretty psyched for seeds and to try it - Big fan of the red Jalaps.

This is my first time growing JZ's.  Seeds were courtesy of the BikeMan.  Open pollinated, but like Tom Petty said, she grew up tall and she grew up right. OK, maybe not tall, but right, and I have three more of these in raised beds for pod production and they'll grow up tall.

great looking pods.  somehow I missed out on the type when I picked out jalapenos to grow. they're on my list for next year. let me know what you think of them.

Those Tovari plants can be a little slow...mine were light producers the first year, but follow on years produced fairly early and steady. They look awesome by the way. I bet there is some heat in those JZs. I have three different Jal varieties going two jumbo and one regular, two are decent on heat, but one variety is almost like a bell pepper... :confused:

BDASPNY said:

great looking pods.  somehow I missed out on the type when I picked out jalapenos to grow. they're on my list for next year. let me know what you think of them.

Bicycle808 spoke highly of them and sent me the seeds. I'm really stoked to try them and the 3 I have in raised beds are already starting to pod up. I put them into prime spots, so if they're getting the 50 yard-line seats I expect a lot from them. I'll definitely get you feedback and hope to have enough isolated seed to share.

stc3248 said:
Those Tovari plants can be a little slow...mine were light producers the first year, but follow on years produced fairly early and steady. They look awesome by the way. I bet there is some heat in those JZs. I have three different Jal varieties going two jumbo and one regular, two are decent on heat, but one variety is almost like a bell pepper... :confused:

I've heard exactly that about the Tovarii so it hasn't been a total surprise, though it's the the first time I've grown them myself.  I like the look of the plant and they'll be getting OW'd, so I can wait.  If I get even light production this year i'll be happy.

Yeah, I definitely want more than just a bland jalap and that's what I'm hoping for from the JZ's. I've been cautioned the production isn't as crazy as some, but great taste, a kick of heat, and solid production would be just fine.  I'm also growing Jalamundo and Purple Jalaps.  Was thinking crosses in the jalapeno space might be kinda cool. Not as sexy as the superhot space, but pairing up attributes like taste, heat, pod size, and production could pay practical dividends. Depending on how the Jalamundo and JZ perform under local conditions that's one I might explore.

I have only 1 aji largo rocoto and it was with a group that got stuck in too small containers a bit too long and mobilized nitrogen, but it's been potted up for a bit now and is looking better again. I think it's an interesting growth pattern in that it started to sprawl, but then it stopped and has focused all it's efforts upward, both from the center and at multiple points along the main lateral branches. Center growth kinda has that "two palm trees on the island" look to it.  Glad this guy's doing well again, particularly with just the one.  And it's just starting to bud up too.
20190616%20A%20Largo965.jpg

In other rocoto events, my biggest aji lucento is starting to set pods and has a cool, more what, lavender or pinkish hue than a dark purple?  I think the back of the flowers looks particularly cool.  I didn't manage to get a good pic of the plant, but it's ready for a growth spurt with several strong shoots growing up from the middle, much like the aji largo above but a bigger plant overall.  The info on it was it was supposed to grow more like a climbing vine, but I have several of them growing and they all grow pretty much like typical rotocos it seems. The info was also that the pods are supposed to be excellent fresh - really hoping that part bears out.

That's about all I have for today. Kind of waiting for things to kick it into gear now that the weather around here's been a bit warmer.
20190615%20Aji%20Lucento%20Flower%20F.jpg

20190615%20Aji%20Lucento%20Flower%20R.jpg

Those Jay-Zs ([emoji6]) also escaped my attention until now, very curious to hear what you think about them! Jalapeños are definitely some of my favourite and I'd love to add a 3rd variety to my yearly must-grow collection. Have you tried the Biker Bill's and/or Numex Orange Spice before? Curious to see how they compare in terms of heat, and would, if possible, love to set up a seed trade at the end of season.

Funny story, as during my holiday my dad bought some jalapeños at the local supermarket in Holland, and those pods were gorgeous! Nice and big and really perfect strong jalapeño spice level, so I had to save those seeds as well of course for next year...

Interesting as well that as soon as the heat arrived, so did the colour change. Hopefully summer is kicking it into high gear over at yours so you can get lots of 'em!

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Summer is definitely kicking in and I should have plenty of seeds to share on the JZ's. Even the other three plants have pods now that were ahead of pretty much any potential crosses. Hopefully they impress; they've been strong growing plants so far.  Never had Numex's Orange Spice and it's even been a while since I've had BB's, but I'm definitely hoping for good flavor and some kick in these. I'll post up when I try them. Your local market ones sound great. You may have four varieties on your hands next season the way things are shaping up.

Just a quick lunch post.  I'm growing purple flexuosum this year and am hoping for a strong representative for the next generation. This guy looks like the front-runner. It's been the fastest/strongest growing plant and has produced only one flower so far, but it maintained a strong purple hue on the back of the flower even after fully opening - and setting.  The purple is strong enough it's visibly bleeding through to the front a fair amount, something not all of my flex's with the purple influence have done.  I'm curious to see how purple the flowers can get.

Front view
2019-06-07%20FlexPurple1400F.jpg

Rear view - couldn't get the flower fully visible with torquing it and didn't want to risk it.
2019-06-07%20FlexPurple1400R.jpg

And it even has a personal bodyguard
2019-06-07%20Larvae980.jpg

I have to chime in on the Zapotecs. We like them here, some are quite hot, others not. But always a good pepper. I wish I could get them about 20% larger for stuffing.. I feel it's my soil, I get almost 4 fingers wide on the larger ones. We tried the Billy Bikers and thought they were a bit bitter/hotter compared to the Zap, but both certainly are worth growing. So many factors involved with the soil and temps, like the first ones that have no heat because it's still cool outside.

Keep doing what you're doing CD, those plants are looking great!

PaulG said:
Nice pic of the ladybug larva pupating!

Definitely lucky timing. I didn't even notice that at first, but by the time I got around to taking the picture I realized something was up.

Devv said:
I have to chime in on the Zapotecs. We like them here, some are quite hot, others not. But always a good pepper. I wish I could get them about 20% larger for stuffing.. I feel it's my soil, I get almost 4 fingers wide on the larger ones. We tried the Billy Bikers and thought they were a bit bitter/hotter compared to the Zap, but both certainly are worth growing. So many factors involved with the soil and temps, like the first ones that have no heat because it's still cool outside.

Keep doing what you're doing CD, those plants are looking great!

Thanks for the info Devv. I'll try not to be disappointed now if this first one's a dud on the heat.  I've been thinking about crossing it with Jalamundo to bulk it up a little, but jeez, so many projects.  I'll see how it goes for now. Do you have a go-to bigger jalapeno you like for stuffing?

Trident chilli said:
Cane you have to love those flowers .... picture perfect

Thanks Trident!  Couldn't resist the joke about you culling your "extra" Walton ;)

And thanks again for sending me seeds for the Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet.  It was one of my strongest SB's when it went outside. Still is, but much like your weather our weather hasn't been making the bonnets quite as happy as they'd like to be. They are starting to rebound a bit now and I have high hopes for great production later this season.  Wishing you the same.

Looking great CD! I once loved Mucho Jalapenos for stuffing. They have good size and heat, only drawback is they are a hybrid that won't necessarily grow true from saved seed.  I have a few other Jal varieties going this season...some are showing some potential. I'll let you know how mine turn out. I've only heard good things about Zaps...so I'm sure you'll find some keepers. Flower pics are killer, now let's see who grabs the top of the next page!!!

Back