• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

lespaulde said:
That B. O. C. is killing it CD, you're in for a treat in about a month or so! Awesome stuff as always, plants should give you at least one nice haul each this season [emoji846]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks LP.  Super happy to see how well the BOC does in the PNW climate and looking forward to that nice haul.  Was psyched about these to begin with, but after seeing yours this has to happen!  Barring disaster things are looking good!

Just a few Sunday morning pics while I was out gluing some buds this morning. I've had such bad luck with the organza bags for isolating pollination this season that I decide to just glue a bunch this morning instead. They've certainly been hit and miss for me before, but this season they're flat out killing almost everything that goes into them.  Just terrible performance.

Blue Mystery setting
20190818 BlueMysteryS.jpg

Blue Mystery flower
20190818 BlueMysteryF2.jpg

Tovarii are still dropping tons of pollen - among only a few varieties that are dropping heavy.
20190818 Tovarii.jpg

Despite probably 3 weeks of heavy pollen production, only a handful of pods have set so far. Hoping things pick up soon.
20190818 TovariiPod.jpg

I've had a harder time setting crosses too, despite it starting out reasonably easy/normal early season. Hoping this CAP1491 x USDA Card takes. The CAP1491 is also producing tons of pollen and is a very effective male for pube crosses.  Unfortunately, It's not one of the varieties I'm most focused on for crosses.
20190818 CAP1491xUSDACard.jpg

Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec seems to be coming along just fine.
20190818 T Dolmasi x JZ.jpg

I haven't be active for a little month, but its great to catch up on your glog!
Very excited to follow the results of your new crosses, and to see the wilds grow ... wild I guess :P  
The Yaki Blue looks great as well. And holy crap those BOC are crazy prolific! 

Gnar Tzar said:
That blue mystery pod photo is very cool, reminds me of hi res electron microscopy shots. Intriguing variety, praetermissum?

Thanks Gnar. It's generally assumed to be an interspecific hybrid with characteristics of a baccatum, annuum, and praetermissum. Not an intentional cross though as I understand it, hence the "mystery."  The flowers definitely have a strong praetermissum vibe.

Mildfruit said:
I haven't be active for a little month, but its great to catch up on your glog!
Very excited to follow the results of your new crosses, and to see the wilds grow ... wild I guess :P  
The Yaki Blue looks great as well. And holy crap those BOC are crazy prolific! 

Hey MF!  I'm guessing it's been a busy time for you recently - actually for quite a while now I bet.  Hope all is good and thanks for checking in.  Things are going well, though this season's brought some challenges too.  After watching you and LPDE with the BOC's and my initial bad luck indoors, I'm super happy to see it performing now that it's outdoors.  If those pods ripen up without issue I should have plenty for a ferment and/or a decent run of puree.  Just waiting for that first hint of orange :)

Bad luck indoors... Lol. I feel like I set the bar. Of course, I HAVE NO INDOOR.

Just keeping it real my friend.

And this is just me requesting this apparently, but accidentally picture one of your fingers/wrists in a photo or four...

Just so we know it's "you"

Hey JJ.  The BOC is a long story and has been the oddest plant for me.  I started it late summer last year as part of my off-season indoor grow http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/page-1 and it just stunk it up hard.  No matter what I did I could not get it to grow well or produce.  I did all I could think of, cut it back a couple times because it looked so sad, and ended up almost tossing it.  It didn't help either that a couple other THP'ers who shall remain nameless were growing the heck out of theirs :)  I really wanted some BOC pods so I ended up keeping it around until the weather was good enough to put it outside.

So it looked pretty bad when it went out and it's just been sitting in a raised bed through one of the coolest gloomiest springs in quite a while (and this is Seattle we're talking about), but the plant has taken off.  There's a lot to be said about natural conditions I guess because I just simply could not make it happen indoors! Anyway, I'm pretty psyched.

Haha I totally stuck my thumb in a couple shots screwing around with my phone trying to get shots at the community garden the other day.  Had no idea I'd done it and it cracked me up when I was reviewing the pics. I never expect to see the clumsy thumb make an appearance, but it seems to find a way!

Wow, I love that Putapario pod! Amazing pictures, too. Really good glog, Canedog. Definitely one of the more interesting ones! I'm curious to see what the Zapotec hybrid brings you next season.

b3rnd said:
Wow, I love that Putapario pod! Amazing pictures, too. Really good glog, Canedog. Definitely one of the more interesting ones! I'm curious to see what the Zapotec hybrid brings you next season.

Hey b3rnd!  Thanks for stopping by and for the good words.  Really enjoyed your big "catch-up" post recently and seeing what you have happening with your grow.  Also enjoyed many of your posts re genetics. 

I'm really hoping for good results out of that JZ cross as well.  Currently I'm trying to get another couple of that one underway for insurance purposes.

Back