• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog - Off-Season Season 2018/19

Thought I'd post a few pics of what I have going on indoors this off-season.  I used to do a winter indoor grow about every season, but this will be my first in a couple years now.  I went a bit over-board with the number of plants, as usual, but I've culled a few already and I have expansion room if needed.

I'm using a handy little extra walk-in closet to start things out. Keeps temp well and makes it easy to chill and work with the plants.

20181008_PWalk30.jpg

Most everything's potted up into 1g Boxer Browns now.  Here's a few of this season's players.

Baha Goat
_20181119_BGoat.jpg

Fatalii
_20181119_Fatty.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White - topped it early on as it was already wanting to branch like crazy
_20181119_BJWhiteTopped.jpg

Butch T
_20181119_TScorpBT2.jpg

Kathumby starting to bud up
_20181119_Kathumby.jpg

And this guy is a 7 Pot White that sprouted late right up against another plant, so I yanked it out.  It had what seemed like only about 2mm of root still attached, but I stuck it in Kratky and it not only survived but seems fairly happy.
_20181119_7PW_KratkyTop.jpg

CD

The good news today is that it looks like the first helmet head is going to make it. The bad news, despite keeping the cup under a Ziploc bag in the hopes the humidity would held #2 get out on its own, it looks at least as impacted as the first was.  I plan to give it until tonight, maybe tomorrow morning to strengthen and root in better, then I'll see if I can get this one out too. The seed coat is really spongy from being in 100% humidity, so if I end up having to crack it I'll may have to remove the baggie and dry it out first.

ExHH.jpg

The last seeds I have cooking now are some Tovarii. I've had a batch in rockwool for 33 days without a peep and I'm not great at being patient without feeling the need to tinker.  I've had good luck in the past with environmental changes for slow germinating seeds, so I moved them from the rockwool into a small solo cup of starter mix.  On inspection they're all well hydrated, but not one has so much as even a crack in the testa.  My thinking is I'll put them under lighting with a humidity baggie and see if anything changes.  I put 1/4 inch of starter mix over them, dampened it, then put them back in the germinator so the soil moisture will distribute evenly.  Next I'll move them up under the lights and hopefully I'll get one of these guys to jump.

TvR2S.jpg

CaneDog said:
The last seeds I have cooking now are some Tovarii. I've had a batch in rockwool for 33 days without a peep and I'm not great at being patient without feeling the need to tinker.  I've had good luck in the past with environmental changes for slow germinating seeds, so I moved them from the rockwool into a small solo cup of starter mix.  On inspection they're all well hydrated, but not one has so much as even a crack in the testa.  My thinking is I'll put them under lighting with a humidity baggie and see if anything changes.  I put 1/4 inch of starter mix over them, dampened it, then put them back in the germinator so the soil moisture will distribute evenly.  Next I'll move them up under the lights and hopefully I'll get one of these guys to jump.

I germinate my toughest seeds this way. Pubescence take forever...and often don't pop using my normal peat pellets, but I almost always get them to pop in pots under lights. I usually put about a half inch of seed starter on top of regular potting mix and then they can just stay right there once they're up. Hope they pop for you.

stc3248 said:
I germinate my toughest seeds this way. Pubescence take forever...and often don't pop using my normal peat pellets, but I almost always get them to pop in pots under lights. I usually put about a half inch of seed starter on top of regular potting mix and then they can just stay right there once they're up. Hope they pop for you.

Thanks, and I appreciate the feedback and ideas - especially as I haven't grow many of the slower germing wilds before.  It's interesting some of the similarity of methods people have after growing for a good while - example I have the solo cup about 70% full of container soil / compost mix, then a base under the seeds and cap over of starter mix.

Curious, are you not seeing any negative effects of 1/2" of cover on the seeds?  I think that could help provide resistance for removing seeds covers, but I also wonder if the depth could increase other issues.

Also, have you germinated rocotos at cooler temps?  My last two batches (just a few seeds each) were at room temperature in a cupboard when ambients were 68-72 degrees and they popped in about a week. Was thinking I might run some more at cooler temps to test it out.

Sweet...I usually germinate pubescence at 76 instead of the normal 82. I've had pretty good results with that, but always noticed that once I planted my peat pellest in my 2.5" pots the other 1 or 2 seeds I had planted with it would pop shortly after. I only plant pubes in pots now. As far as the 1/2" of seed starting mix...I don't put the seeds all the way to the bottom of that. I still only go about 1/4" deep.I have had pepper seeds that were accidentally buried over an inch deep make it to the surface though, so I don't think the 1/2" would be a problem. May be worth an experiment... :think:  The wilds germinate at lower temperatures as well, but aren't as finicky for me. I really like what you got going on over here...can't wait to see if the little one survives emergency surgery!!! 

By the way...once upon a time I had a couple successes and failures grafting peppers. If the stars align right you may end up with three types of pod on one plant. If the plant puts off growth at the point of the graft it could share genetics with both the root stock and the scion. Hope that you can keep them going. I had visions of a single plant with 4 or 5 different pods all over it. I used to help my grandfather graft roses in this manner and always thought is was so cool. 

Couple updates...  2nd CAP 1491 Helmet Head died during surgery.  Removed the seed coat successfully, but the growth tip was dead underneath. Super happy though simply to have the one seedling apparently safe and growing.

Also a graft update. CGN21500 + 7P White seems to be very successful. The plant is growing strong both below and above the graft and the main stem has thickened so much that it's Hulking it's way through the Parafilm seal.  Guess I won't have to cut it off after all.

20181211_GraftUpdate.jpg

20181211_Graft.jpg

I have one CGN 21500 remaining after using the first as the base for the graft.  The first one was getting a little stretchy and had no lateral growth, so I topped it and then decided to graft it. The remaining one's node spacing wasn't as stretchy as the first, but it similarly had zero lateral branching for a good while. When I'd about given up on it being more than a straight stick, suddenly it bushed out like crazy at about every node. This is my first go at 21500 and it's a pretty cool one. I'm looking forward to growing it outdoors in the sun as a full-sized plant.

Splitting and budding now
20181211_CGN21500.jpg

and getting all bushy
20181211_CGN21500Bush.jpg

Thanks for the 21500 update. Holy crap, that really is exploding from every node!

Very cool to see the Frankenpepper pulling a Hulk Smash on that Parafilm. Seems like a pretty good sign in addition to the solid growth up and down; looking forward to seeing the join once it's completely out of the wrapper.

Very nice, CD.  You did a really nice job with
the wedge graft.

Do you have the NWCF on your calendar yet?

Thanks, the plants made it easy and I'm happy with how it went. If I can get another couple under my belt I'll feel good about trying something a bit more ambitious.

Yes, definitely for NWCF 2019!  Looks like a lot of fun and good food and such and a great opportunity to meet and hang out with other THP'rs. September 6-8 is marked and with enough of a reminder to prepare some appropriate foods and drinks.

Some good news. After finding my second CAP1491 sprout with a dead head after removing the stuck seed cover, I now have a new one to take it's place.  And this one showed up without a helmet, so I'm feeling good about its prospects. And always good to have two just in case.

2018-12-13%20CAP%201491%20S3%20800.jpg

First seedling that survived testa surgery had its first true leaves appear yesterday, tucked in between it's mini-cotyledons. 
2018-12-13%20CAP%201491%20S1%20800.jpg

Well, it's 3 weeks this weekend, so as good a time as any for a graft update.  I removed the Parafilm today and took some close-ups of the healing graft  Hopefully the pics aren't too big for viewing easily, but I wanted to capture detail. I was expecting the new tissue to be fairly uniform, but it's pretty bumpy and uneven.  The plant seems to be doing well though and I expect it will fill in more over time.

Starting graft dated 11/24/18
20181124%20GraftStart.jpg

Pictures of graft today
20181215%20Graft01.jpg

20181215%20Graft02.jpg

Back