• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CAPCOMS COCOA GROW 2017

I am starting early this year. maybe 3-4 weeks left here for outdoor growing and it will be time to put most of it to rest. I will be bringing a few plants indoors for the winter and as such, my seed starts my be more restricted this year. Lots of white flies showing up this fall and I would like to check them before the indoor retreat. Aphids? Yeah, they may hitch a ride but they are of no concern to me.

Big changes to next years grow. going to container grow again, but I am upgrading to 10 and 15 gal pots. haven't decided which yet though. 10s are wider and 15 gal are deeper.

I will continue using Nectar for the Gods nutrient line as it has not let me down and I am making inquiries as to setting up a tea making process as well.

My seed starts will be determined by what varieties I can obtain in the next few months and my inventory. I will post a list of them shortly, as well as my extended grow plants.

Oh, why cocoa grow 2017? cause 95% of my grow this coming year is going to be chocolates. So I will be looking for anything and everything chocolate and high heat is of no concern.

Weekly update.

Wow, they are really goin now. I still have white flies but under control for the most part. The big plus for this year's success is no APHIDS! None, not one anywhere. Some of the plants pictured were started on Jan 2nd. The bulk of the balance on Feb 6.

I had considered in the past to start the grow in Sept or Oct, but that was when my crop was being decimated by aphids and by the time everything recovered and went outside they were already stunted or at least slowed a bit. I felt the earlier start would provide time for the plants to obtain a substantial size before going outside in spite of the pest attacks.

I now realize my grow can be started easily in February and still be formidable by mothers day plant out. I may at some time still do a Sept start at least for a selected few varieties. If I like everything I am growing this year, not much will change. Except for numbers increasing. I have already seen some possible new additions for 2018.

Any way, this is where I am at on March 26th. Almost 2 more months to go before hardening off.

Attachments

• 20170326_181241.jpg
    20170326_181241.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
Had to give everything a drink tonight with a diluted Alaskan fish 5-1-1. I wanted to increase the N a little bit.

While the canopy is looking outstanding the very lowest and out of sight leaves were a little wilted and a few dropping. I caught it in plenty of time to head off what, if left unchanged would have developed into a more serious shedding.

The next few waterings, I intend to bone up on the bone a bit.
With another 6 weeks at least till plant out things will get even more interesting. I am going through 7 gallons of water and I could easily double that if I needed to drench the plants or flush them.
I have to remove every plant from its location, water and place it back as there is no way to water them in their position with any form of measurement.  I am removing them in groups of 12 or so and thereby create a little rotation to light and airflow as well.

Many times I have said, this year is going to be better than last year, and been disappointed. Last year was indeed a turnaround year and this year is even better than last. They are actually getting better and providing much to look forward to.

Pretty optimistic.

CAPCOM said:
Weekly update.

Wow, they are really goin now. I still have white flies but under control for the most part. The big plus for this year's success is no APHIDS! None, not one anywhere. Some of the plants pictured were started on Jan 2nd. The bulk of the balance on Feb 6.

I had considered in the past to start the grow in Sept or Oct, but that was when my crop was being decimated by aphids and by the time everything recovered and went outside they were already stunted or at least slowed a bit. I felt the earlier start would provide time for the plants to obtain a substantial size before going outside in spite of the pest attacks.

I now realize my grow can be started easily in February and still be formidable by mothers day plant out. I may at some time still do a Sept start at least for a selected few varieties. If I like everything I am growing this year, not much will change. Except for numbers increasing. I have already seen some possible new additions for 2018.

Any way, this is where I am at on March 26th. Almost 2 more months to go before hardening off.
Looking great bro

CAPCOM said:
Had to give everything a drink tonight with a diluted Alaskan fish 5-1-1. I wanted to increase the N a little bit.

While the canopy is looking outstanding the very lowest and out of sight leaves were a little wilted and a few dropping. I caught it in plenty of time  good   :clap:    work! to head off what, if left unchanged would have developed into a more serious shedding.

The next few waterings, I intend to bone up on the bone a bit.
With another 6 weeks at least till plant out things will get even more interesting. I am going through 7 gallons of water and I could easily double that if I needed to drench the plants or flush them.
I have to remove every plant from its location, water and place it back as there is no way to water them in their position with any form of measurement.  I am removing them in groups of 12 or so and thereby create a little rotation to light and airflow as well.

Many times I have said, this year is going to be better than last year, and been disappointed. Last year was indeed a turnaround year and this year is even better than last. They are actually getting better and providing much to look forward to. That's awesome, Jeff!    :metal: 

Pretty optimistic.
Sounds like we are in very similar situations with our
pepper grows, Jeff, plant-out here around 3rd week
May, depending.  Watering plants in the greenhouse
is like a balancing act   ;)  in the tight quarters.

Good luck going forward, my friend - Every pod a victory!

Appreciate the positive and encouraging words Paul, I agree, Tight quarters and growing lots of peppers means conditions, and not always good ones can change instantaniously sometimes. Got to keep them watered the heat up and humidity down all at the same time.

Wish you well on your grow this year and looking forward to seeing some huge harvests on your table.

I would be very optimistic Jeff , them plants all look good very healthy and well established, your heading the right way , best wishes for the season and hope your rewarded with good yields.

Something is amiss or I am just getting really lucky lately. Just entered the grow room 10 mins ago and seen one plant was just not up to par. Checked it further and observed limp wilted leaves. I immediately cleared a view of to main stalk just above the soil and confirmed my suspicions. I already know the cause and immediately cut the plant and tossed it in the cloner. In a week I will have it back in soil with some mykos and as good as new in 2 weeks.
20170329_195512.jpg

And here being recuperated.
20170329_195600.jpg

This would be a great opportunity for a new grower to diagnose the issue.

Oh well, new learning opportunity I guess. Clone developed dampening off as well. I had to trim it farther up the main stalk and hope I have cut off enough. we will see. I had two plants in the container and the other has now become afflicted. That seems to happen a lot with sugar rush peach. I had them do the same thing last year. I am beginning to think maybe the seeds are carrying the infection.

20170402_145941.jpg

Update 4-8-17

Looks like I will not have any sugar rush peach this year. This variety still eludes me. Dampening off stricken 2 years consecutively.
It appears that once infected the entire plant is doomed. I took cuttings way beyond the afflicted area yet still, while in the cloner the cuttings dampened off.
Aji Jobita x bbg 7 is also a bust. Never got one to germ. I am not too disappointed though. I will have plenty of plants to concentrate my efforts on.

I just planted 3 more flats 216 total cells for local sales incl, Bhuts red, choc and mustard. bhutlahs, primos, morugas, MOA red and yellow, JPGS, and maddballs red, choc and caramel and several more.

The core grow and overflow with 5 weeks to go indoors.

20170408_191001.jpg

20170408_190950.jpg

I stated last year, that this year I wanted to avoid carrying 100 containers upstairs and out to the garden. See how that worked out?

Incidentally, This is where I was just a month ago.
20170310_214940.jpg

Sucks about the sugar rush peach. I have an issue with BOC seedlings two years in a row now that have what look like severe deficiencies. Leaves are very white/yellow with some green splotching. First year I assumed it was me. Now i'm beginning to suspect the seedstock. 

Plants looking great though, I need to pot up soon as well. Just kicked everything out to the greenhouse. 

What size pots are those? I was thinking maybe 1gal until plant out. 

I suspect seed stock as well. May have to source out some stock if I really want to try these. I have heard they are really sweet and tasty and not an incredible amount of burn.
Indeed, one gal they are. I have found that size to be the best suited for root space and moisture retention prior to the last transplanting.
And more manageable when carrying outside from the basement.

4/14/17

Hard to believe there are over 90 plants on there.
20170414_180404.jpg

and even more here. The second plant to the left of the foreground is a chocolate reaper.
20170414_180435.jpg

It is up as usual but she doesn't say anything anymore.
I had it on quad 6's til about February and went to on at 2 and off at 10. Two day/night cycles per 24 hour period.
That has been working a lot better than on18 and off 6. Keeps the room from getting up to 105° anyway. Mothers Day cant get here soon enough though,
Plants are getting huge. I was picking flowers bu decided to let them go as I can no longer get to all my plants. I have to water them with a sprayer bottle and extension wand.
Still have white flies but the fly tape keep them pretty much in check. I think I am going to have to decon all plants before they come in the room from the outdoors.

I have officially started my plant out. Only two plants tonight but this weekend I will probably purge the grow room.

20170418_192443.jpg

I have never had this great of a start. Moderately early start, no aphids, white flies but in check and great foreseeable weather. Can you say, epic year? I will probably be stopping by the grow shop to pick up some bales of mix and maybe some more 10 gal pots. Really starting to get excited for summer.

Great to see them outside Jeff looking really healthy... now watch them grow ... still too cold here to place outside over night ... good luck

Trident chilli said:
Great to see them outside Jeff looking really healthy... now watch them grow ... still too cold here to place outside over night ... good luck

Still reaches down to the 40s here which will slow them down dramatically. But it should also slow down the white fly deluge. Upside is I cleared a lot of space in the grow room and they will be hardened off way before typical plant out date. I can get all my 10 -15 gal containers and sunshine bales next weekend and be ready for transplant 3 weeks early this year. All the plants were so closely positioned for so long it looked like a jungle and I lost perspective of individual plant progress. As I moved them outside, I got to see just how well they were doing. I am somewhat ecstatic about how well some of the coveted selections are doing.

This was my grow in "15" on May 10th.
20150510_120620.jpg

My grow last year April 24th.
20160424_174906.jpg

And "17" April 20th.
20170420_202150.jpg

Back