• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cappy's 2015 Chocolate BS

It has been several year since I have started a grow log like a newb but I enjoy this time of year starting plants.  My name is Cappy and I first discovered the Seven Pod in a seed trade from Sara R. in Trinidad in 2008.  That year I had a grow log and documented my grow of an extra brainy seven pod and the Brain Strain 7 Pod was born.  Since that time I have shared seeds with anybody and everybody who asked for little more than the cost of shipping.  I did not try to profit or chase the world hottest title, that goes to CARDI and the creator of the seven pod.  I am just a grower of limited means with a closet with a grow light and a backyard in a residential neighborhood.  What I am is proud of my contribution to the pepper community and the opportunity to shared this pepper with the rest of the world.

Last year I received some seeds from a very generous Trinidadian friend here in the states by the name of Judy.  I have dreams on making a chocolate version of my yearly hot sauce BrAiN sTrAiN.  There have been both red and yellow versions in the past so 2015 will be the year of the chocolate BS.  First round of seeds were sown last weekend January 4 and today I have my first seedling so here we go!

Did I read that correctly? Lights on 24/7? How long do you run lights 24/7? I'm like you, I like to feed my seedlings fish emulsion around the first pot up. I've never ran lights 24/7 though. I usually run about 16 on and 8 off. You have me thinking now.

Tim

peppernovice said:
  Did I read that correctly? Lights on 24/7? How long do you run lights 24/7? I'm like you, I like to feed my seedlings fish emulsion around the first pot up. I've never ran lights 24/7 though. I usually run about 16 on and 8 off. You have me thinking now.

You got me thinking also as that is just I have always done when in the seed tray 24/7.  There was some research done where it was shown to help seedlings when lights were on 24/7 for the first 5 weeks or so.  I am sure 18/6 is enough but with lights always on there is less of a temperature fluctuations and I don't use a heat mat so I use the heat from the light to keep things warm.  When I pot up and move to 4" pots I will move under my metal halide HID and I run that just 12/12 mostly to save electricity and get them used to light cycles.  There are as many ways to raise seedlings are there are members on this website.

Thank you for the quick response Cappy. I hope I didn't come off disrespectful. I feel honored just to be having a conversation with you. I was just shocked because I had never heard of leaving them under the lights 24/7. I'm sure that's not the first thing you will teach me.

Tim

No worries,  I just forgot where I saw that research but I think #AlabamaJack was the one who posted it here.  Maybe he might see this hashtag and give some more insight.  Usually plants store up energy during the day and grow at night, but it found no ill effects from keeping the light on 24/7 the first few weeks. Thanks for your question.

pier_man0909 said:
and hats.. and coffee mugs...  and bumper stickers...

Hey Matt, these vinyl sticker are bumper stickers they don't fade one bit.  I have them on some beer mugs that have gone through the dishwasher dozens of times.  I will have an offer to get these stickers without the bottle when they first come in so stay tuned.

Back