• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Cappy's 2015 Chocolate BS

It has been several year since I have started a grow log like a newb but I enjoy this time of year starting plants.  My name is Cappy and I first discovered the Seven Pod in a seed trade from Sara R. in Trinidad in 2008.  That year I had a grow log and documented my grow of an extra brainy seven pod and the Brain Strain 7 Pod was born.  Since that time I have shared seeds with anybody and everybody who asked for little more than the cost of shipping.  I did not try to profit or chase the world hottest title, that goes to CARDI and the creator of the seven pod.  I am just a grower of limited means with a closet with a grow light and a backyard in a residential neighborhood.  What I am is proud of my contribution to the pepper community and the opportunity to shared this pepper with the rest of the world.

Last year I received some seeds from a very generous Trinidadian friend here in the states by the name of Judy.  I have dreams on making a chocolate version of my yearly hot sauce BrAiN sTrAiN.  There have been both red and yellow versions in the past so 2015 will be the year of the chocolate BS.  First round of seeds were sown last weekend January 4 and today I have my first seedling so here we go!

Cappy, I always put my soil into my raised beds at the end of the season. How do you save your soil? I could save a lot of money if I could recycle my soil. I typically use 7 to 10 bales of BX Pro Mix. That gets a little pricey. I just don't know how I would store all that soil over the winter. Seems like it would take a large container. 
    Your plants look amazing. I grew 3 plants from the seeds I received from you. I gave away 2 and kept one. It's one of the best looking plants I have. It definitely has good genes! 

Tim

Looks awesome ... So healthy and Uniform ... Love the little raised fire pit/ brazier as well. There's the rest then there are growers like you ..one of the best ... Always a pleasure to stop in and see a pro at work.

peppernovice said:
   Cappy, I always put my soil into my raised beds at the end of the season. How do you save your soil? I could save a lot of money if I could recycle my soil. I typically use 7 to 10 bales of BX Pro Mix. That gets a little pricey. I just don't know how I would store all that soil over the winter. Seems like it would take a large container. 
    Your plants look amazing. I grew 3 plants from the seeds I received from you. I gave away 2 and kept one. It's one of the best looking plants I have. It definitely has good genes! 

Tim

That is my base Pro Mix BX just haven't added any new bales in many years.  My soils still has the peat like consistency but I have added to it years of compost and lots of organic Espoma garden tone in every container at planting and several more times through out the season.  At the end of the year I cut the plant and leave a stump and store containers on the side of the house with roots.  Next year the stump pull right out with most of the root ball and dump on a tarp.  I have a flat head shovel that I chop up the soil and them take a dirt rake upside down and push and pull thru the pile.  The rake will grab any roots and you have almost new Pro Mix bx just add your own compost.  Cheaper than buying new each year and I have had great results recycling my soil this way. 

meinchoh said:
No way, Cappy!!!!! You grow those plants in 4 gallon nursery containers?!?!?!?!?! Is that their final pot up??

That is the sweet spot for container size for me.  If I could grow one plant in a 16 gallon container or 4 plants in 4 gallon containers I would chose 4 plants every time.  It is the cycle of life for my plants, I add 1/2 ton of cow manure to my pots and they suck it out and give me pods for the effort.  I do have some larger terra cotta pots but they dry out faster than the plastic, will pot up a few choice plants and give them room to grow.  Trippa, thank you! I have dropped many hints in this glog if you look.  I have picked up almost everything I know from the many great growers at THP over the years. 

Pepper Ridge Farm said:

My soils still has the peat like consistency but I have added to it years of compost and lots of organic Espoma garden tone in every container at planting and several more times through out the season.  

Please explain how you add more garden tone after it has been potted up? I have plants in 1 gallon containers and I was wondering about that myself after I pot them in their final homes. Are you just adding it to the top layer and raking it in? I'm trying to stay organic as well and I'm using Jobes organic tomato and vegetable fertilizer which I assume is close to the espoma garden tone.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I just sprinkle about 1/2 cup garden tone around each plant once a month and water in.  It may take a few watering to fully dissolve off the top of the soil.  I try to use right before a big rain shower and let that soak the soil. 

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm so excited about my first grow and I can't wait for the weather to get right so I can leave them out :D

Very nice.....said in a very understated way.
My hands are full when I have 40 plants, so my metaphorical hat is off to you!
Looking forward to the Chocolate BS sauce bigtime.

These plants of yours are truly gorgeous.Big and lush.Almost fake looking in a picture.Uniformity amazing they look like pepper plant soldiers at attention and ready for inspection!!!great grow Cappy.

I am back home and off the boat for the remainder of the week, we are under an unnamed tropical depression right off our coast.  Hurricane season officially starts June 1st so this is a bit earlier this year.  But on a plus note my plants are getting a good soaking after applying a top dressing of some good quality bone meal just yesterday.  I like to do this several weeks after planting out when the plants have had time to settle in and start to flower.  It gives the plants that jolt and kicks starts a big growth spurt this next month or so.  Just too wet outside ATM to take any pictures so that will have to wait.  I do have some pods that have set can't wait to see what they look like, I am all in on the Chocolate BS this year.  Pure seed would be a big plus is all the pods are true to the box I received from Judy. :onfire:

Thanks you for following my glog and reading my dribble.  I have a 90 year old grandmother that is passing that is an amazing lady very sad here the sky is crying.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I am back home and off the boat for the remainder of the week, we are under an unnamed tropical depression right off our coast.  Hurricane season officially starts June 1st so this is a bit earlier this year.  But on a plus note my plants are getting a good soaking after applying a top dressing of some good quality bone meal just yesterday.  I like to do this several weeks after planting out when the plants have had time to settle in and start to flower.  It gives the plants that jolt and kicks starts a big growth spurt this next month or so.  Just too wet outside ATM to take any pictures so that will have to wait.  I do have some pods that have set can't wait to see what they look like, I am all in on the Chocolate BS this year.  Pure seed would be a big plus is all the pods are true to the box I received from Judy. :onfire:

Thanks you for following my glog and reading my dribble.  I have a 90 year old grandmother that is passing that is an amazing lady very sad here the sky is crying.
Sending positive thoughts from my place to yours at a tough time. cheers trippa

Awesome to hear that your plants are doing great and starting to pod already! Still very jealous of your all choc brain strain grow but if there's anyone who deserves to grow choc brain strains it would be the father of the brain strain. Can't wait to see pics when the weather clears.

Very sorry to hear the sad news about your grandmother. My thoughts are with you and your family Cappy. My grandmother is 91 and I cherish every day that I have with her.

Back